The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-28-2020, 05:19 PM

Default Strings for X-7 in DADGAD?

Hi all - it is string change time. I have an X-7 with the D'Addario DADGAD set on it right now. That string set is designed for standard scales - not the shortened X-7 scale. Does anyone have a preferred string set for DADGAD on the short scale of the X-7?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Dave
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran
Old 07-28-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcginnis View Post
Hi all - it is string change time. I have an X-7 with the D'Addario DADGAD set on it right now. That string set is designed for standard scales - not the shortened X-7 scale. Does anyone have a preferred string set for DADGAD on the short scale of the X-7?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Dave
I've heard that Martin Retros sound great on the X7. If you are playing in DADGAD you might want to try MLJ13 (Laurence Juber set).

I completely understand if Retros are not your thing. If that is the case and you must go with phosphor bronze, then I would recommend DR Sunbeams. I installed the medium set on a 24" Martin DJr and loved them! They are the best strings on that guitar after trying about 20 different things LOL.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:42 AM

DADGAD is one tuning that I do not play in, but I use 6-7 others. That tuning is on my "to learn" list. With shorter scale than normal 25½" going up to medium is usually the best path to achieve roughly the same playing tension. Since I tune many strings down, going as low as CFCGCE, mediums are the choice for most of my full-scale guitars too. It is always a balance between string gauge and the specific tuning of choice. If you think that the strings you currently have are a bit too tight, trying taking them down a half-step.

My wife uses light gauge tuned mostly to open G [DGDGBD] on her X7, which is really soft tension. Usually it is whatever strings she asks me to put on it for her -- typically D'Addario EJ-16's -- but I might give her Elixir PB's at the next string change. Maybe she loses a little overall volume, but she prefers that tuning for Hawaiian slack key best.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:59 AM

I've got EJ24s on it right now - those gauges are Plain Steel .013, .017, Phosphor Bronze Wound .024, .032, .042, .056. On the short scale of the X7, I sometimes bend the bass side strings a bit sharp (probably lousy technique!). I have wondered about going with a 0.59 on the low string. DADGAD provides less tension, so I wonder if going with a larger gauge might help.
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran
Old 07-12-2022, 02:18 AM

Default Flattops

Try D'addario Flat-Tops! I use EFT17s, and love em. I also make a custom set with NYXL trebles on 3,2,and 1. My tunings are anywhere from open D to G minor with the same set, quite satisfied.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:22 AM

I use a DADGAD set from Newtone Strings (UK) and the work really well.

Dave
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber