The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-07-2019, 03:57 PM

I love Gretsch semi's, but if I bought one, I'd be worried that my Telecaster (my favourite electric) and my Stratocaster (which I love) wouldn't get played. (Plus I feel my Telecaster in particular covers off most of which a Gretsch semi would give me). Additionally, I own a beautiful Samick Greg Bennett Royale semi which I've had for close to 15 years and will always be a keeper. (Even if it doesn't get played much these days).

Never say never, but I'm content admiring photos of the beautiful Gretsch semis various forum members own.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
I love Gretsch semi's, but if I bought one, I'd be worried that my Telecaster (my favourite electric) and my Stratocaster (which I love) wouldn't get played. (Plus I feel my Telecaster in particular covers off most of which a Gretsch semi would give me). Additionally, I own a beautiful Samick Greg Bennett Royale semi which I've had for close to 15 years and will always be a keeper. (Even if it doesn't get played much these days)...
Speaking from experience you're absolutely right that your Strat wouldn't get played (mine doesn't see much action since I got my 3-PU 5622T-CB), but if you've ever played a Gretsch hollow/semi it's a very different animal from just about anything else out there - and having owned both a Tele (first-run late-CBS '52 reissue) and the '64 Double Anniversary I've had since new, one is in no way a substitute for the other. In addition, at least some (if not all) of the Korean-made 5400/5600-Series Electromatics were produced in the Samick plant TMK - and if you like what they marketed under their own name, IME they've kicked things up a notch or three such that they routinely exceed the quality of most of the Brooklyn originals; frankly, if you're a serious electric player you need to have a Gretsch in your collection - and with the still-available MIK Electromatics (FYI they're going over to Chinese production, which includes abandoning the classic Filter'tron pickups for full-size humbuckers - bad move ) selling for well under $1K, you almost can't afford not to...
Old 11-08-2019, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Speaking from experience you're absolutely right that your Strat wouldn't get played (mine doesn't see much action since I got my 3-PU 5622T-CB), but if you've ever played a Gretsch hollow/semi it's a very different animal from just about anything else out there - and having owned both a Tele (first-run late-CBS '52 reissue) and the '64 Double Anniversary I've had since new, one is in no way a substitute for the other. In addition, at least some (if not all) of the Korean-made 5400/5600-Series Electromatics were produced in the Samick plant TMK - and if you like what they marketed under their own name, IME they've kicked things up a notch or three such that they routinely exceed the quality of most of the Brooklyn originals; frankly, if you're a serious electric player you need to have a Gretsch in your collection - and with the still-available MIK Electromatics (FYI they're going over to Chinese production, which includes abandoning the classic Filter'tron pickups for full-size humbuckers - bad move ) selling for well under $1K, you almost can't afford not to...
When I was starting out, a lot of my earlier influences and inspirations were rockabilly guitarists who played either a Gretsch semi or a Telecaster. (I decided I wanted a Telecaster primarily because I wanted to play country inspired guitar also plus I already owned a semi, albeit with hum-buckers).

Like I've said though, the only other guitar I could develop any real GAS for after all these years is a Gretsch semi (including that burnt orange 6120 that I see on this forum gets my heart racing), so never say never. (If I was to get one it would be one from their Electromatic series).
Old 11-08-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
...the only other guitar I could develop any real GAS for after all these years is a Gretsch semi...(If I was to get one it would be one from their Electromatic series).
You might want to move on this one while the getting is still good:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch...with-Bigsby.gc

FYI these are among the last of the Korean-made 5600-Series E-matics that have become a cult favorite among savvy players looking for "That Great Gretsch Sound" for not a whole lotta cash, and the sole remaining models equipped with the Super Hi-lo'Tron pickups - a true humbucker based on a modified Filter'tron design (unlike the original Brooklyn-style Hi-lo fitted to the reissue '62 Tennesseean and '60 Double Anniversary, which was a single-coil) and my personal favorite of all the new-generation Gretsch pickups; BTW they're also available in Georgia Green (a light metallic green similar to what you might find on a 1966 Chevy Impala) and Walnut (I've seen a Beatles tribute band using this one as their "George" guitar - run it through a Vox AC-Series combo in a live setting and you'll never know the difference), and at $799 for this level of tone and QC they're not going to last long...

Of course if you're jonesing for a '59 6120 but can't handle the $3K ticket of admission, this one's got all the vibe for less than one-third the price:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...vintage-orange
Old 11-08-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Of course if you're jonesing for a '59 6120 but can't handle the $3K ticket of admission, this one's got all the vibe for less than one-third the price:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...vintage-orange
Man, that looks good. I am glad it has the Bigsby. Otherwise I would be sorely tempted, and my next purchase needs to be non-guitar related.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:23 AM

The guy that works on my guitars is a Gretsch certified repair man. He’s a miracle worker from what I’ve seen. Curt Wilson Schoolhouse Guitars.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
Man, that looks good. I am glad it has the Bigsby. Otherwise I would be sorely tempted...
Um, don't let the Bigsby stand in your way:

https://www.partsisparts.net/catalog...ary-0060125100

Old 11-09-2019, 01:42 PM

Love all this Gretsch chatter here. Is there a Gretsch that has a piezo or acoustic bridge installed? I seem to remember one somewhere. I would appreciate hearing about it if you know one exists.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Love all this Gretsch chatter here. Is there a Gretsch that has a piezo or acoustic bridge installed? I seem to remember one somewhere. I would appreciate hearing about it if you know one exists.
This would work great for putting under a Gretsch archtop bridge...

https://www.pickup.world/product/vin...rchtop-guitar/
Old 11-09-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
Man, that looks good. I am glad it has the Bigsby. Otherwise I would be sorely tempted, and my next purchase needs to be non-guitar related.
Yep, that burnt orange 6120 is a stunner alright. (Like just about all Gretsch single and double cutaway semis are). Forum member has this same model I recall with the pre Chet Atkins cowboy appointments (G brand, etc) which takes it to the next level for me.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

This thread is majorly fueling my GAS. Gretsch Acquisition Syndrome...

I am hunting a used Electromatic. I play a Strat now. I've played Gretsch before and once modified an Ibanez to be 'gretsch-esque' putting in vintage Gretsch filters and wiring etc.

Anyway.

Between the Electromatic semi hollow, the double cut and the pro jet, what would the group recommend? Careful shopping on CL indicates I can get one of these for 300ish - 400ish used.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 11-11-2019, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
This thread is majorly fueling my GAS. Gretsch Acquisition Syndrome...

I am hunting a used Electromatic. I play a Strat now. I've played Gretsch before and once modified an Ibanez to be 'gretsch-esque' putting in vintage Gretsch filters and wiring etc.

Anyway.

Between the Electromatic semi hollow, the double cut and the pro jet, what would the group recommend? Careful shopping on CL indicates I can get one of these for 300ish - 400ish used.
Much depends on the model number. The 5600 series Electromatics are FANTASTIC guitars. Not “for the money”. Fantastically great guitars period.

I may be biased

I’ve owned the 5230T-CB Jet and liked it very much also. That model was modded with new wiring, pots, jack, switch, nut, etc....personal preference of course. But, with the current Gretsch line you have to be cautious as some of the newer lower level models (5230 aside...from personal experience) have lesser craftsmanship, pickups, etc.

You won’t find a 5600 with Rosewood board and Super hi’lo Trans, or Blacktops in the $300-$400 range. If you do you should certainly buy it! You can find the 5230 models in that price range. While I feel these need some upgrades (as mentioned above), they’re well worth owning.

Personally, I’d look for a 5620/5622 (2 or 3 pu version) with Rosewood boards and the BT/Super Hi’lo pickup config.

Happy hunting. I would describe that “Great Gretsch Sound” in a similar way to Gibson acoustics in the fact that once you’ve captured that tone...it’s hard to want anything else.

GL! Keep us posted. And remember, without pics...it didn’t happen.

PT
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 11-11-2019, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Much depends on the model number. The 5600 series Electromatics are FANTASTIC guitars. Not “for the money”. Fantastically great guitars period.

I may be biased

I’ve owned the 5230T-CB Jet and liked it very much also. That model was modded with new wiring, pots, jack, switch, nut, etc....personal preference of course. But, with the current Gretsch line you have to be cautious as some of the newer lower level models (5230 aside...from personal experience) have lesser craftsmanship, pickups, etc.

You won’t find a 5600 with Rosewood board and Super hi’lo Trans, or Blacktops in the $300-$400 range. If you do you should certainly buy it! You can find the 5230 models in that price range. While I feel these need some upgrades (as mentioned above), they’re well worth owning.

Personally, I’d look for a 5620/5622 (2 or 3 pu version) with Rosewood boards and the BT/Super Hi’lo pickup config.

Happy hunting. I would describe that “Great Gretsch Sound” in a similar way to Gibson acoustics in the fact that once you’ve captured that tone...it’s hard to want anything else.

GL! Keep us posted. And remember, without pics...it didn’t happen.

PT
This is SO helpful, thank you. I get utterly lost in the myriad of Gretsch number models. So, in short, if I am chasing a Chinese Gretsch, stick with 5600 or above, yes?

And I assume the 5600 series come in chambered as well as semi hollow, so I can change a 5600 level Pro Jet or Double Cut?

much thanks
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 11-11-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Yep, that burnt orange 6120 is a stunner alright. (Like just about all Gretsch single and double cutaway semis are). Forum member has this same model I recall with the pre Chet Atkins cowboy appointments (G brand, etc) which takes it to the next level for me.

What takes it to the next level for me is the T-Armond pickups made by TV Jones and the lacquer finish. It's the Gretsch that I should have bought first although I have enjoyed my other Gretsch guitar. Filtertron pickups are pretty cool too, but for what I do live, the T-Armonds are GREAT.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
This is SO helpful, thank you. I get utterly lost in the myriad of Gretsch number models. So, in short, if I am chasing a Chinese Gretsch, stick with 5600 or above, yes?

And I assume the 5600 series come in chambered as well as semi hollow, so I can change a 5600 level Pro Jet or Double Cut?
Some basic contemporary Gretsch electric nomenclature:
  • Streamliner (2400/2600-Series): Entry-level Chinese/Indonesian hollow/semi-hollow instruments intended to compete with the lower-end Epiphone/Ibanez offerings, and other than the logo on the peghead/pickguard GINO (Gretsch in name only); IME if you're shopping for a bargain hollow/semi you'd be better-served by investing in an Ibanez Artcore - overall Streamliner QC can be spotty, as with the Epiphones in this bracket (and unlike the Ibanez instruments, which I wouldn't be ashamed to take out on a gig)
  • Electromatic (5100/5200/5400/5600-Series): Low-/midline instruments in the same general price bracket as the Mexi-Fender, upline Epiphone/Ibanez, entry-level Eastman, and Guild Newark St. electrics, this is where the classic Gretsch vibe (styling, pickups, hardware, and most important tone) kicks in, and the QC/value-per-dollar is second to none (including higher-priced, major-name hollows/semis); general rule of thumb is the 5100/5200 instruments are MIC solids (FYI there are a few low-end E-Matic solids that don't fit the pattern, nor does the G100 Synchro archtop), 5400's are Korean-made full-hollows with Filter'trons, and 5600's are center-block semis with Filter'trons and/or Super Hi-lo'Trons on the MIK guitars, or Broad-trons (essentially a bargain-basement full-size humbucker in a Filter'tron-style shell) on the new Chinese production (Hint: grab a new-old-stock Korean model while you still can - these are professional-level, fully gigworthy guitars that punch way above their weight, sell for well under $1K in most cases, and made believers out of many of your fellow AGF'ers)
  • Professional (6100/6600-Series): This is where you'll find all the iconic Gretsch models - from Double Anniversary through White Falcon - as well as signature instruments (Stephen Stills, Brian Setzer, Billy Duffy, Bono, Bo Diddley, etc.) and contemporary variations on classic themes (center-block White Falcon, Player/Limited Editions, etc.), made in Japan to a QC/off-the-shelf playability standard few mass-market makers can match; prices are in line with top-shelf Ibanez/Eastman/Yamaha/Fender and midrange Gibsons at $2-4K street, but if you're a player looking for your signature tone who thinks outside the box it's money well-spent (not to mention the only way to get a historically-accurate '55 White Falcon, '59 6120, or '62 "King George" Country Gent at an affordable price, produced to a standard the Brooklyn originals rarely approached)
In answer to your second question (I answered your question about Chinese instruments in the paragraphs above), several years ago Gretsch produced the now-discontinued G5655T-CB, a center-block/semi-hollow near-clone of a '63 Duo-Jet (and significantly lighter at around 7 pounds); TMK these are still available as NOS for around $600-800 - in spite of their Malcolm Young visuals and excellent electronics (the Super Hi-lo'Tron neck pickup is my favorite contemporary Gretsch PU) they were a surprisingly poor seller - and one of these might be right up your alley. In any event I'd spend the few extra bucks beyond the $300-400 you mention, and get something that will not only meet but exceed your expectations - if you're interested PM me and I'll direct you to a couple of sources for the discontinued stuff...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 11-11-2019 at 05:02 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars