The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-03-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
Nice gaggle of Gibsons there, Jim!

I own a guitar.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjthePhD View Post
Nice gaggle of Gibsons there, Jim!

Thanks, Tom! BTW, do I know you from the CA thread on TGP?
Old 11-04-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Tom! BTW, do I know you from the CA thread on TGP?
The Carol-Ann thread? Probably so - I have an OD3r, which you probably saw earlier in this thread.

I own a guitar.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:22 AM

jim pridx,

I love those Lesters! Could you give me some relative info on the neck chunkiness of those four? I tried out an R8 in June and had to pass because the neck was too big for my surgically modified hands. I'd love to find one that fits me though.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjthePhD View Post
The Carol-Ann thread? Probably so - I have an OD3r, which you probably saw earlier in this thread.
Yeap! I noticed the Carol-Ann right away.....LOL. I have a Triptik and a Texas 50 and love 'em both! Great amps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY000 View Post
jim pridx,

I love those Lesters! Could you give me some relative info on the neck chunkiness of those four? I tried out an R8 in June and had to pass because the neck was too big for my surgically modified hands. I'd love to find one that fits me though.
Well, all four of these guitars have relatively fat necks. The CR4 is the fattest, and the tobacco burst is the leanest. The other two are sort of in between. All in all, though, they're fairly close to one another in terms of thickness. I've heard that there are a few slimmer-necked R8s around, but I have yet to find and play one. In all honesty, while these necks are barely okay for me, I'd actually prefer them to be slimmed down a bit......more like an R9. The R0 is the slimmest of all of all the historic reissues, but both the R9 and the R0 are considerably more expensive than an R8. I don't know, but I tend to think it's sort of a marketing ploy by Gibson to entice a potential buyer into purchasing the more expensive instrument. Even though an R9 or an R0 will likely have a highly-figured or flamed top as opposed to the R8 (aside from the neck differences), they're essentially the same guitar. Hope this helps!
Old 11-04-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Hey Dru......thanks! And yeah, I've been lurking around here for a while, but I finally got around to settling a registration problem that's been lingering for about five years. I guess a renewed energy came over me lately with acoustic guitars, so I thought I'd become a little more active around here.
The "C" designation stands for chambered, as in "chambered reissue." I happen to be 60 years of age with less than desirable back ailments, so with these guitars weighing around 7.5 lbs. each, they're a delight to play. I was always a Les Paul player back in the 70s, but I eventually had to give up on them due to their weight.

"Chambered", makes sense. Is that the only difference between an R8 and a CR8?

It's great that Gibson is offering a lighter Les Paul. My 10.x lbs Studio is heavier than my 9.x lbs Standard. No way I could do a full gig with those guitars now. That's where my new SGJ comes in.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:18 AM

Here's my Epiphone Slash Les Paul. I was in the guitar store 2-3 years ago and I saw this used Slash model. I didn't buy it because of Slash, I bought it because it had a pair of Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II pickups in it. The guitar plays, and sounds great.

BTW, CyberFerret wrote a tool for posting pics: "Simply email your photos to [email protected] and you will get back a link with the IMG tags which you can cut and paste straight into your post here"

This is the first time I've used this and it only took seconds to get the link.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:32 AM

Old 11-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
"Chambered", makes sense. Is that the only difference between an R8 and a CR8?
Yeah, that's the only difference. A CR model will also sound slightly different - some say a tad like a 335 - but it's definitely much more Les Paul than 335. And yeah, I remember the days of 10-lb. Les Pauls only too well.

EDIT: This is basically how a CR body is constructed:

Last edited by jim_pridx; 11-04-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Well, all four of these guitars have relatively fat necks. The CR4 is the fattest, and the tobacco burst is the leanest. The other two are sort of in between. All in all, though, they're fairly close to one another in terms of thickness. I've heard that there are a few slimmer-necked R8s around, but I have yet to find and play one. In all honesty, while these necks are barely okay for me, I'd actually prefer them to be slimmed down a bit......more like an R9. The R0 is the slimmest of all of all the historic reissues, but both the R9 and the R0 are considerably more expensive than an R8. I don't know, but I tend to think it's sort of a marketing ploy by Gibson to entice a potential buyer into purchasing the more expensive instrument. Even though an R9 or an R0 will likely have a highly-figured or flamed top as opposed to the R8 (aside from the neck differences), they're essentially the same guitar. Hope this helps!
Thanks! Yes the R8 is a good bargain. It was less money than the Les Paul Std Plus I ended up buying that day. I guess I'm going to have to start saving my gig money for an R9.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:26 AM

My 1967 Gibson ES-335

Old 11-04-2014, 12:59 PM

2013 SG Std

Old 11-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackmoresNight View Post
My 1967 Gibson ES-335

Nice! Is it really that dark or is it the pic? Not that I'm complaining, it's beautiful.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's the only difference. A CR model will also sound slightly different - some say a tad like a 335 - but it's definitely much more Les Paul than 335. And yeah, I remember the days of 10-lb. Les Pauls only too well.

EDIT: This is basically how a CR body is constructed:

Thanks for the pic. I can see how that can alter the tone somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY000 View Post
2013 SG Std

Sweet! What would that color be?
Old 11-05-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sweet! What would that color be?
Honey Burst

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars