The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-01-2014, 05:41 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Geez, Strong Bad. Nobody here with a sense of hoomer.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-01-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post

Got this for about $1k less than an ESP Lynch model.
that's a neat guitar. still see Nagel's (or tributes thereof) iconic artwork in the windows of hair and beauty salons all over town. very Miami Vice.

nice score!

i see you have a thing for Kramer's. the hollywood gc often has some lurking in the used electric room. might be worth a look if you're out this way.

Last edited by arie; 04-01-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie View Post
that's a neat guitar. still see Nagel's (or tributes thereof) iconic artwork in the windows of hair and beauty salons all over town. very Miami Vice.

nice score!

i see you have a thing for Kramer's. the hollywood gc often has some lurking in the used electric room. might be worth a look if you're out this way.

This was a BC Rich that Lee and Dan customized. Always thought it looked really cool. GMW and Ed Roman's site were basically the first sites on the internet that had a huge amount of guitar photos.

Dan added a swirl base, which looks absolutely wicked in person. I also needed a neck pickup and Lee put the push/pull volume knob in a place that wouldn't disrupt the graphic as much.

I'll have to keep that Hollywood GC in mind if I'm ever out that way. It's always nice to check out guitars in person vs. eBay. Kramers were fairly consistent, but a lot of abuse and poor care can change that.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Geez, Strong Bad. Nobody here with a sense of hoomer.

Bob
Whoops, I missed that. Wow, that is a serious call-back. I think I remember that from like, what, ten years ago? Still made me chuckle.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:05 PM

I hated them for years until I got my 1st PRS W/tremolo......basically re-tunes the guitar. They're outstanding.

p
Old 04-01-2014, 04:14 PM

Great feedback on this thread. I'm pleasantly surprised at all the responses. I will admit that I do like my Floyd Rose to play the intro to Kickstart My Heart.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:35 PM

I've heard about the stringing and tuning nightmares on Bigsbys and Floyd Rose trems. I have a tremolo bar on my Strat...never a tuning issue, but then I don't abuse the tremolo bar either.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 04-01-2014, 07:23 PM

If I had the cash I wouldn't mind one of the new Floyded PRS's... that's cool in my book! I'd like a Floyded LP, because I'm a Neal Schon fan; and he has one with both a Floyd and MIDI pickup (with push-push knobs for patch switching)...
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Not a necessity for me. But, I do like the Steinberger trem more than any others. FWIW I do enjoy a good Tremelo setting on an a Fender amp or a quality stompbox.
Fender RW Flea Jazz
Squier Sonic Pbass
Acoustic 30 watt Bass Amp
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
all sorts of guitar picks, capos and bits n' bobs.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:03 PM

I LOVE trem bars!
Old 04-01-2014, 11:17 PM

My Strat is blocked. I had a FR equipped Jackson DK and that's why I sold it.

I like tremolos, not so much on my guitars.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
If I had the cash I wouldn't mind one of the new Floyded PRS's... that's cool in my book! I'd like a Floyded LP, because I'm a Neal Schon fan; and he has one with both a Floyd and MIDI pickup (with push-push knobs for patch switching)...
Neal's MIDI+Floyd Les Paul used to be the ultimate dream guitar for me back in the day.

I once tried to get his Gibson signature model. I inquired about upgrading the Neal Schon Les Paul to a nice quilt top and paying extra. They denied the request. I asked again, pointing out that I was wanting to pay more money to get a nice quilt top. Absolutely not! By the time I thought that black or a gold top was ok, Neal and Gibson had parted ways and the model was discontinued.

Since then, I decided that I've seen too many decapitated Gibsons. One day, I hope to get a nice 24.75" scale mahogany set-neck or neck-through with a Floyd to get that vibe. I can't complain about the Nightswan II's maple neck and bolt-on joint.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:01 AM

It's unfortunate that Fender inverted the terms "tremolo" and "vibrato" and thus caused confusion in terminology to countless guitar players. "Vibrato" is something caused by bending a string or vibrating your finger vertically on the string. "Tremolo" is an effect generated by the amp. Either way, it's just an effect. When used tastefully and judiciously, it's something else to add to your bag of tricks and expands your expressive palette. When used to excess, it becomes monotonous and rather boring.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
It's unfortunate that Fender inverted the terms "tremolo" and "vibrato" and thus caused confusion in terminology to countless guitar players. "Vibrato" is something caused by bending a string or vibrating your finger vertically on the string. "Tremolo" is an effect generated by the amp. Either way, it's just an effect. When used tastefully and judiciously, it's something else to add to your bag of tricks and expands your expressive palette. When used to excess, it becomes monotonous and rather boring.
Blame Leo Fender for that one.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 AM

Some solos in songs just lack something without trem. Jikki does a great "Beat It" with no trem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9DMW-dMhCA

But Satsuma's trem work give it that little extra to bring it home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R90pWE-XrII

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars