The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-10-2014, 11:25 AM

They were pretty good guitars, like you said they weren't really selling so much of them. Reason why they took off market. Knowing Taylor, I'm sure they'll bring them back, just probably working on a few issues of why they didn't move off the shelves as quick as they wanted. A lot of people who are stuck on Fender/PRS/Gibson, like you said, probably just turned their heads. All they needed was someone who knows a lot about their solid bodies to push their product. Salesman who are also stuck on these models, I'm sure had a tiny bit reason why the Taylor solid bodies weren't demoed probably. I can see them just turning their heads from Taylor solid bodies. I really hope they bring them back, and bring them back with VENGEANCE!! lol sorry got a bit excited.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:45 AM

For me, it's price. I seem to remember reading their marketing that they didn't use any off the shelf parts. That seems like a crazy decision. There are plenty of time proven hardware choices they could make which could result in the guitars coming out at a lower price point.

I personally wouldn't pay more than say $1k for a solid body guitar. I'm guessing there may be a lot of people like me.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 02-12-2014, 08:12 AM

Default Price Point

I was able to buy my Taylor solid Body new for under 1K. I've seen lots of new ones going for under 1K over the last 6 months or so. That's a bargin for these guitars.

I am truly impressed by the engineering and thought that went into these guitars. The loaded pickgards made it pure genius. I don't own a guitar, PRS, Fender, or Gibson with a more playable neck. The Bridge is simplicity itself! the quality of the wood - pure Taylor. I love just looking at the grain on the back of the neck of this guitar.

That's why we won't see them back. They were already better than good and worth every cent. I don't see where the improvements could possibly take place.

I had an '07 and there were a couple of issues which were subsequently improved upon. The high E string could come off the edge of the fret board. I heard this was corrected by a slight change of the neck. Sometimes the ball ends old strings could get caught in the bridge. I don't know if that was taken care of.

It doesn't really matter. I believe a truly viable alternative to the big three was right before our eyes and somehow the message didn't get out. I'm sure theirs plenty of blame to go around. I wish the guitars were still available and I wish they had told us they were being discontinued so we could have bought the loaded pickgards we may have wanted.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:11 AM

Default SB's

I still see 'em going for top dollar. Anyone who is willing to pay it should wait awhile. I'm sure dealers will be clearing out their inventory. A great chance to get a fabulous guitar for short money.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:24 PM

I found a Loaded pickguard in our inventory yesterday. It's a black pickguard with the covered HD humbuckers.

Go SPURS Go
Old 02-21-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword Bringer View Post
I was able to buy my Taylor solid Body new for under 1K. I've seen lots of new ones going for under 1K over the last 6 months or so. That's a bargin for these guitars.

I am truly impressed by the engineering and thought that went into these guitars. The loaded pickgards made it pure genius. I don't own a guitar, PRS, Fender, or Gibson with a more playable neck. The Bridge is simplicity itself! the quality of the wood - pure Taylor. I love just looking at the grain on the back of the neck of this guitar.

That's why we won't see them back. They were already better than good and worth every cent. I don't see where the improvements could possibly take place.

I had an '07 and there were a couple of issues which were subsequently improved upon. The high E string could come off the edge of the fret board. I heard this was corrected by a slight change of the neck. Sometimes the ball ends old strings could get caught in the bridge. I don't know if that was taken care of.

It doesn't really matter. I believe a truly viable alternative to the big three was right before our eyes and somehow the message didn't get out. I'm sure theirs plenty of blame to go around. I wish the guitars were still available and I wish they had told us they were being discontinued so we could have bought the loaded pickgards we may have wanted.
Well, OK...Taylor dropped the ball here. You're upset. We know this already, so yo do not need to reaffirm this! Continually repeating the same song does not improve your situation. Figuring out how to rectify this will. Crying to Taylor won't; they've already demonstrated their unwillingness to cooperate.

I intended this to be harsh only to get you to realize that eventually you'll have to get over it and find your own solution.

I like the Taylor solidbodies, though I never owned one myself. But this is one problem that you'll face if you buy ANYTHING with PROPRIETARY HARDWARE. And that is UNPLANNED OBSOLESCENCE. Parts for Gibsons and Fenders are as ubiquitous as the guitars themselves. Ir doesn't matter how great or innovative something is if it is not accepted by the masses. Taylor's not the only acoustic guitar company to fail with electrics (Martin, Ovation).

A pot is a pot. If you look at it you likely will see the value stamped somewhere. And if not it can be measured, and a replacement found.

One thing I can recommend: Take the pickguard off and photograph the connector. It may be something recognizable. I don't think they'd use a proprietary connector as well, but who knows? Mouser, Jameco, Radio Shack or other electronics suppliers may have the connectors (likely a Molex connector of some sort). If the other part of the connector goes to the jack, then you can use whatever you want as far as pickups. If they don't, then some investigation as to pot values, cap values, etc. would need to be found out so that pickups of the proper values can be used. Any good guitar tech could do this. And really, using "standard" pots, caps, connectors, and pickups might make the guitar more versatile than it was intended to be. You might have a cottage industry lurking here....

That's another thing I hate about proprietary stuff - they make the connector proprietary so you MUST buy another pickguard assembly from Taylor, then they stop selling the assemblies altogether.

As far as pickguards... WD will make a custom pickguard, if you provide them a tracing. If you have a swimming pool route under the pickguard then you could likely fit any combination of pickups.

The other option is to check eBay and CraigsList....
Old 02-22-2014, 10:09 AM

Default E-Bay

If you read my post you'd see that I've been checking on E-Bay constantly. My luthier says there are lots of propriatory parts in the Taylor SB. Like you say, the connectors is one of them. I also said, I'm not complaining about this thing anymore because, people get it. All I have done is praise the guitar. If people stop complaining about my stating that Taylor dropped the ball, I will never utter another word about this aspect of the issue. I have written this more than once. I have let it go. So let it go.

I don't see any reasonably priced way out of this except if someone answers my last e-mail about having one and not wanting it anymore or finding it on E-Bay.

In closing, many people who own Taylor SB's are just finding out or still don't know this has happened. I see new posts regarding it every day. So it is a viable issue to some people.

Now, I stopped complaining about Taylor's handling of the situation. I will keep telling people that the SB's were discontinued and that they are basically out of luck if they seek the loaded pickgards. Fair enough?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:18 AM

Unhappy Aj

I'd doubt they'd bring them back. But I have heard the Hiatus story too. I have also been told by Taylor that they were not profitable and are discontinued.

What else could they have done to promote this guitar? They did a great thing to get one to Mic Taylor in '13 to be a front page feature on his Guitarist Magazine. They loved the guitar! The only complaint was that for the money, in England you can get a custom built guitar for less dough. The magazine ran a contest to win a free Taylor custom for it's English readers only.

It's a great magazine. I've learned a lot about Guitars from all over the world that i never knew existed. Unfortunately, it cost about fifteen bucks a copy on the american New Stands.

We can second guess what else could have done to make this guitar successful 'til the cows come home. One thing's for sure it wasn't the quality or the concept. Somehow word just didn't get out.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:00 AM

There are so beautiful
Old 02-26-2014, 05:51 PM

Default SB's

Beautiful, durable, useful and any other positive adjective you want to use. It funny because I only like the classics. I didn't much care for the custom. I saw someone complaining about the single cutaway, saying it showed Taylor wasn't serious about the line. Does than mean Gibson wasn't serious about the Les Paul? All I know is my classic is just the right size, thickness and is a perfect weight. The neck seems like an extension of my hand. I'm in love and heartbroken.

It's hard for me to understand those who tried them and didn't like them and feel sorry for those who never had the chance. I beginning to think these things are going to be highly sought after in a few years.

My only wish. Full sized buckers instead of those minis.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars