The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-11-2013, 10:33 AM

They're nicely made guitars (as is every Taylor I've ever played)...terrible for true classical guitar playing, really, but great for bossa or jazz or any other style where a little nylon flavor is needed...they are a bit quiet...but the tone is pleasant...

I often think about purchasing one of these "crossover style" nylons, but I wonder if since I do like to play some classical if I'd regret it...oh, if money grew on trees...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-11-2013, 11:23 PM

I have a Taylor nylon string guitar, as well as two traditional classicals, one factory-built and one handmade.

The Taylor sounds OK acoustically, but doesn't have anywhere near the volume of my classicals. The fingerboard width at the nut on the Taylor is a bit narrow for comfort, also. It's almost 5mm narrower than either of my classicals.

I definitely like the Taylor's radiused fingerboard, though. My factory-built classical has a slight radius, and it makes it easier for me to play. My handmade one has a flat fingerboard, and it makes things a bit more difficult for me.

Mike
Old 06-14-2013, 09:13 AM

I am sorry but...if it doesn't sound like a classical, and it has low volume, and folks try to find strings to make them sound better...isn't there something wrong with these guitar? Everytime I have the opportunity to pick one up I put it right back down because it has the above characteristics which Taylor defends by saying..well it's not really a classical guitar. The only time they can sound good is plugged in (any guitar can sound good plugged in because of the effects).
Old 06-14-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzelectro View Post
I am sorry but...if it doesn't sound like a classical, and it has low volume, and folks try to find strings to make them sound better...isn't there something wrong with these guitar?.
Well, I dunno about "wrong with." They're just NOT classical guitars, that's all. Nor do they seem to be trying to be.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

I had one and sold it, but not because of any issues...I just wasn't playing it. In reality, I enjoyed it. It was a bit quiet when compared to my steel strings. I wanted it for playing a bit more quietly when the family was asleep, and to learn/practice fingerstyle on. And it sounded sweet. I happen to think they are very nice, nylon string guitars. I am not a classical guitarist, but don't see why I couldn't play classical music on one. It was well made, and if I had the time to play it, I would have kept it.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-17-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I am sorry but...if it doesn't sound like a classical, and it has low volume, and folks try to find strings to make them sound better...isn't there something wrong with these guitar? Everytime I have the opportunity to pick one up I put it right back down because it has the above characteristics which Taylor defends by saying..well it's not really a classical guitar. The only time they can sound good is plugged in (any guitar can sound good plugged in because of the effects).
Kazzo.... Help me understand your statement that "any guitar can sound good plugged in because of the effects". Do you really believe that?

Again.. my 714 Nylon is my go-to guitar for my wine-bar gig where I'm playing in a big, boomy room in front of 150 loud patrons. Whether it's the guitar or the on-board electronics, it's definitely doing its job. But yes, in my house, unplugged, there are other guitars I'd pick up.

So the question is, as it always should be.....What is your goal (musically) and which guitar best meets that goal?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
(any guitar can sound good plugged in because of the effects).
I would strongly disagree with this.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostwriter View Post
Not sure about the new model designations but most of the Taylor Nylons I've seen seem to be way over priced.
I agree; they are way overpriced. I've owned a couple of them in the past, and if you want a classical sound, these are not for you. They don't play like or sound like a genuine classical. I like my Cordoba much more.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 06-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Saying something is "overpriced" doesn't really make any sense. What you are really saying is that the Taylor nylons aren't worth the money TO YOU. Clearly they aren't "overpriced" to people willing to buy them.

Plus I think it's been stated over and over again that the Taylor nylon guitars are not trying to be classical guitars. Why do people keep criticizing them for not being something they are not trying to be?

The workmanship, build quality, fit and finish of my 514ce-n is wonderful! As is the playability and the customer service. Those are some of the things you get when you buy a high quality, well made instrument. If you are into those things, they are not over priced at all. IMO you get what you pay for. (It helps that my 514ce-n is perfectly suited to my playing style and I happen to love the way it sounds.)

I finally had a chance to play a couple of Cordobas and while you might get a OK guitar for a good price, they both had some flaws in build quality, fit, finish, etc. The tuners felt cheap, the battery door on one rattled, the string balance on the one I plugged in was terrible, etc.

And while a Cordoba vs. Taylor battle doesn't make any sense the point is that I could say that both the Cordobas I played were "overpriced" because FOR ME, the value of the guitars didn't match the dollar amounts I'd have to pay to take them home. That doesn't mean someone else wouldn't feel differently.

It simply depends on what you value, what you are willing to pay and what gets the job done. I'm just not sure it's fair to say that all Taylor nylons are "overpriced" because you bought a couple of expensive crossovers and expected them to be classical guitars. Would that be like saying a Porsche is overpriced because it's terrible for hauling plywood?

Matt

Last edited by open-road-matt; 06-23-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:09 PM

A solid wood Cordoba will cost you between around $1000 and $2000 depending on whether it is made in Spain. At $1000 they're alright but these guitars are made in China and possess polyester finishes and the quality control is not top notch as you might find with a Taylor. Taylors guitars, whether classical or acoustic IMO are pricey for what you get, particularly the higher end models. They are well made, and are ideal for performing amplified, but maybe not so much acoustically.
What we know...Taylor guitars are not supposed to sound like traditional steel string guitars nor are they supposed to sound like classical guitars.
Why? It's not because they don't want to but it's because they can not produce the tonal qualities of either traditional steel string guitars or classical guitars. Why? because of the way they are constructed (bolt-on necks, plastic finishes, 3 piece necks, screwed on fret board, etc). Makes for easy manufacturing and precise consistent guitars that as a result lack tone acoustically. I will say that they are fantastic performance guitars when plugged in. Sort of the same thing with Martin's new line of G series guitars that really mirror the Taylor lineup. The G series are constructed with built-in electronics, and with bolt-on (m & T) neck joints and other lessor manufacturing processes that result in a lessor sounding acoustic guitar...and does not compete acoustically with Martin's traditional series. For what it's worth...that's my take.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:50 AM

I bought a Taylor 214 CE from a pawn shop. It was not at all over priced. In fact, I got it at almost half the price.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:16 AM

That would be a good buy...congrats!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical