The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-23-2010, 05:28 PM

Default Need help with a song

I'm trying to play Saturday Night Special by Conway Twitty. I found a link to the tabs, but it's wrong.
What I've found is that I can capo the 4th fret and play it in A, G, F, E. The A & G repeat then it goes to the F & E at the end of each verse.
In my way, gulp, I've found that A when capo'd at the 4th fret is C# or Db, whichever one chooses. Am I correct there? If so, the actual chords are C#, B, G, and A#. Gulp again, I hope.
I haven't figured out the chorus yet, and could use help on it too.
Now, about 2/3's the way thru, to keep playing the same chords, it requires capo'ing to the 5th fret.
I'm trying to find a comfortable way to play the song without moving the capo once it's set. I have one of those that screw down from the back of the neck.
Anyone have any help for a nugget on this?
Thanks in advance,
Bob
Old 04-23-2010, 05:42 PM

It's common for many songs to modulate to a different key partway through. Moving the capo to accomplish this is creative, but unwieldy.

Sounds to me that you have latched onto a song that is beyond your present abilities. Perhaps you should consider setting this one aside for later and picking something a bit simpler to enjoy.

*everything* is a tone control
Old 04-23-2010, 05:52 PM

I'm not familiar with the song - but I can tell you that, in general, a lot of tab on the internet isn't very accurate - having said that:

You are correct that if you capo at the 4th fret and play an A "shape" you're actually "sounding" a C#/Db chord...G, F, and E "shapes" translate to B, A, and G#/Ab "sounds".

I suppose it isn't entirely unheard of to change the capo position in the middle of a song - which might be easier with a clamp-type capo like a Kyser.

It seems to me you might forget the capo, play the song with a mix of A and E shape barres (sounding the proper chords), and just move everything up a fret when it comes time to move up a half step.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by walternewton; 04-23-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:53 PM

Don, thanks. You're probably right.
I remember playing this years ago with the capo, I believe, on the 6th fret, and having a capo with an elastic band that I could slide pretty quickly up to the 7th when it changed. I'll have to mess with that a bit.
Walter, good idea about the A and E barres. That'll take me some work to get my fingers strong enough. I just started back playing more often since I built my first acoustic in March. Finger calluses are up, but strength and/or placement needs work.
I appreciate the help guys.
If anyone else listens to the song and figures out all the chords, please drop a line.
Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write