The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-17-2010, 08:56 PM

Smile Struggling With Barre Chords? Don't Give Up Hope!

Hi all today is the day OMG I can do it, I can play barre chords, at first it was like I can't get it and never will, I even started to think my guitar wasn't set up right as the action appears to be high, but it looks like it is. I have been only trying for about a week and a half maybe a bit longer, and only for 10 to 15 mins a day even if it sounds crappy, what your actually doing is strengthening your fingers and repetition giving you the memory recall of position.....I also started with doing the G barre chord first on 3rd fret as it is easier than the F barre chord on 1st fret, so maybe start there until it rings clear than move around maybe to A barre chord on 5th fret.....the rest will be history. Just don't dispear you WILL get it, the problem now for me what to do with it, LOL.

Aarrgh!! False alarm sorry everyone, must have just got it right for that one session, had another go and not always ringing all-through all the time only now and again, so can't be too much longer til its ALL the time, I have noticed the improvement since I started on barre chords, so not disheartened at all especially when I have the support of you guys....Thanks.

Daza.

Last edited by daza152; 04-18-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Cool Great Job!

Nice work, Daza... I knew you'd get it! Barre chords can be a major hurdle for a lot of players...

So, do you know that EVERY CHORD that you play in open position can be barre'd? The simple Eminor form, obviously - but also the Aminor... likewise, A major (I have small hands/short fingers, so I use my pinky to fret the 3 across, and just live with the fact that the high note isn't in there, lol!). Start checking out how many chords you can play with a barre...

And then there are partial barre chords - the C major form, but with the first finger on your fret hand barre'ing just the 3 highest strings (or 4)... you have a whole new vista opening up before you! Have fun with it, and let us know how it's gong...

play on................................................ .......>

John Seth Sherman

"Sure, I like country music, and I like mandolins...
but right now I need a telecaster through a vibrolux, turned up to 10!
Let's go to Memphis in the meantime, baby..."

John Hiatt
Old 04-17-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Nice work, Daza... I knew you'd get it! Barre chords can be a major hurdle for a lot of players...

So, do you know that EVERY CHORD that you play in open position can be barre'd? The simple Eminor form, obviously - but also the Aminor... likewise, A major (I have small hands/short fingers, so I use my pinky to fret the 3 across, and just live with the fact that the high note isn't in there, lol!). Start checking out how many chords you can play with a barre...

And then there are partial barre chords - the C major form, but with the first finger on your fret hand barre'ing just the 3 highest strings (or 4)... you have a whole new vista opening up before you! Have fun with it, and let us know how it's gong...

play on................................................ .......>

John Seth Sherman

"Sure, I like country music, and I like mandolins...
but right now I need a telecaster through a vibrolux, turned up to 10!
Let's go to Memphis in the meantime, baby..."

John Hiatt
Thanks John, I will try all of those chords you can make when doing barre chords, I can't master the simple f chord in open position yet but I will(its so close I can taste it).

Daza. EDIT: look back at OP I'm still at it but very close....

Last edited by daza152; 04-18-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:27 PM

I've played for a long time. While I'm limited in ability to play certain styles of music and certain guitar techniques, my hands and fingers are pretty acclimated to playing. BUT...I bet a lot of people would tell you they don't always hit every barre chord perfectly. I think most people tend to realize which strings they NEED to pull/pick within a given barre chord, they hit those notes and move along and get out of the barre chord position fairly quick. If you were to sit down and expect every string to ring out crystal clear on every barre chord, you may not be honest with yourself. Or you may have some super light gauge strings, if you can. The important thing (IMO) is to master the barre chords you NEED for a particular piece, and try to get better at those chords, rather than to expect pure perfection from any and every barre chord you can come up with.

my .02
Old 04-19-2010, 12:47 PM

Did you ever achieve anything that took a great deal of effort . . . earning a degree or an athletic endeavor and looking back, it wasn't being handed the diploma or crossing the finish line that you remember, but the hours of struggle that you put in . . . and the dream that pulled you on.

The journey is more memorable than the destination. Because as soon as you get there, there will be little time for celebration before your sights are again set to the horizon.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLSPRIG View Post
I've played for a long time. While I'm limited in ability to play certain styles of music and certain guitar techniques, my hands and fingers are pretty acclimated to playing. BUT...I bet a lot of people would tell you they don't always hit every barre chord perfectly. I think most people tend to realize which strings they NEED to pull/pick within a given barre chord, they hit those notes and move along and get out of the barre chord position fairly quick. If you were to sit down and expect every string to ring out crystal clear on every barre chord, you may not be honest with yourself. Or you may have some super light gauge strings, if you can. The important thing (IMO) is to master the barre chords you NEED for a particular piece, and try to get better at those chords, rather than to expect pure perfection from any and every barre chord you can come up with.

my .02
That is a good way to look at it, maybe I should go back to the way I started learning open chords and that is just learning the ones I needed for a song and progress that way. Same with the barre chords just learn the ones I need for a song after all, its playing songs we are all after not just being able to play chords randomly (you know what I mean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allman_Fan View Post
Did you ever achieve anything that took a great deal of effort . . . earning a degree or an athletic endeavor and looking back, it wasn't being handed the diploma or crossing the finish line that you remember, but the hours of struggle that you put in . . . and the dream that pulled you on.

The journey is more memorable than the destination. Because as soon as you get there, there will be little time for celebration before your sights are again set to the horizon.
I like your point of view, very nice

Daza.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:13 AM

I'm a barre chord guy to a fault. But realized several years ago that the "full" barre chord is not used as much in popular music as I once assumed.

In rock, most tunes use some variation of a power chord or alternate rather than a full barre chord.

In jazz, most players rely on just about anything but a full-on barre chord.

In classical music, full-on barre chords are used sparingly and in fact are quite difficult to play cleanly and quickly on a flat classical guitar fretboard.

I still use them all the time, but am trying to wean myself and learn the more widely used (and more musical) chord grips.

JackL
Old 04-20-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daza152 View Post
at first it was like I can't get it and never will
That thought strikes me with every new skill...and I'm always wrong (so far, at least--surely I'll come to some physical limits one day)

Way to go.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
^This.

In fact, it's often more efficient to play a song using as many barre chords as possible where you can.

Instant Karma:
Amaj ... F#m
Instant Karma's gonna get you
Amaj ... F#m
Gonna knock you right on the head
Amaj ... F#m
You better get yourself together
Fmaj ... Gmaj ... Amaj
Pretty soon you're gonna be dead

Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay:
Gmaj ... Bmaj ... Cmaj
Sittin' in the morning sun
Cmaj ... Bbmaj ... Bmaj ... Amaj
I'll be sittin' when the eveining comes
Gmaj ... Bmaj ... Cmaj
Watchin' the ships roll in
Cmaj ... Bbmaj ... Bmaj ... Amaj
And I'll watch them roll away again...

All barre chords slid up and down the fret board.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrat View Post
I'm a barre chord guy to a fault. But realized several years ago that the "full" barre chord is not used as much in popular music as I once assumed.

In rock, most tunes use some variation of a power chord or alternate rather than a full barre chord.
Some songs don't even need a full barre chord, so why bother? House of the Rising Sun, a great beginner's tune, does not need the full Fmaj. A xx3211 will do for either arpeggio or strum of the tune.

Imagine doesn't need it at all for the intro and verses, Fmaj7 will do:

Intro
C ... Cmaj7 ... Fmaj7 (or xx3211 if you must )

Verses
C ... Cmaj7 ... Fmaj7
Imagine there's no heaven
C ... Cmaj7 ... Fmaj7
It's easy if you try ...

Sounds just as good as a full Fmaj.

How'bout Come Together... ?

Sixth string power chords, or full barres if you want. I like R 5 8 for the power chords.

G5 (1x & rest)
One thing I can tell you is you got to be free
B5 ..... A5 ..... G5 ..... A5 (rest)
Come together right now………… over me
Old 04-20-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLSPRIG View Post

my .02
I'm in total agreement here. I've been playing for many years and I still get a buzzing/bum note or two sometimes when I hit a barre chord. It's of course much easier when Barre chords are involved in a strummed chord pattern, as you don't have to keep that extreme pressure going for so long.

The main point is, you say you've been playing for a couple weeks. RELAX! Just keep going, a month or so from now you'll be miles better than you could even mentally visualise at this junction.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
Some songs don't even need a full barre chord, so why bother? House of the Rising Sun, a great beginner's tune, does not need the full Fmaj. A xx3211 will do for either arpeggio or strum of the tune.

Imagine doesn't need it at all for the intro and verses, Fmaj7 will do:

Exactly what I was saying....

JackL
Old 04-20-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrat View Post

In jazz, most players rely on just about anything but a full-on barre chord.

In classical music, full-on barre chords are used sparingly and in fact are quite difficult to play cleanly and quickly on a flat classical guitar fretboard.

I still use them all the time, but am trying to wean myself and learn the more widely used (and more musical) chord grips.

JackL
Yet this progression is very common. To learn the barre chord and then realize, you don't really need all of the chord. I think a lot of this has to do with our (or most of us, myself included) over-focus of our left hand technique.

Because, when you think of it, what is undesirable when you play a barre chord wrong? It's not the fact that all of the strings don't play, it's the strings that DO play, but they play poorly . . either muted or buzzy.

It's weird that some time AFTER you figure out how to play the entire chord cleanly, you realize that you don't have to hit all of the strings. Or you can dampen them with either your left hand or your right hand.

But, strumming freely and only hitting three (or so) strings or dampen them with your right hand does take right hand technique and, at the time we are learning our barre chords, we are focused on the left.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write