The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-22-2010, 07:07 AM

At your stage of the game (many, many years ago) I continued to play those first position "cowboy" chords in as many songs as I could. Did that for a couple of years, really, adding new chords as I needed them for a song (diminished, minor 7th, 6th, minor 6th, augmented, etc). After a that I began Travis picking (thumb and index finger), eventually getting all the fingers into the act. Melodic fingerstyle came later. Then came exploring different genres of music ... jazz, blues, bluegrass. 43 years later I'm still learning. And there are things I can't do ... yet.

Have fun, and remember it isn't a race. Enjoy the journey.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daza152 View Post
Hi I know those chords and just learnt the B7 the other night very bluesy and so is the A7 and E7 just don't know how to use them in any progression thanks for your advice and everyone else its appreciated.

Daza.
Here is a basic 12 bar blues progression in E, one measure for each chord:

E E E E
A A E E
B7 A E B7

You could also substitute E7 for E and A7 for A in the above.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:45 AM

Can i make a suggestion and then someone shoot me down if i give out bad advice .

Just with you saying you have got your fingers under the chords ( except bar ) and are looking for direction .I would say looking at the circle of fifths was my next move that brought about a mind that even saw directions in theory of how relationships worked .Each key in the circle of fifths gives you the root chords ,its relative minor will be adjasent ,and the two most used major chords wil be either side of it .This will give you a group of chords that work together as a family leading you into the theory of how things flow .You can then use the practicle learning of songs as the enjoyment side no matter how far you get through a song its still fun .I dont know about most other people here but i learned a bit of this and a bit of that for a long time before i was completing whole songs ,i think its part of the process of building up your hands to be able to hold the forms of some of the fuller chords .I looked at learning some songs just because it contained a chord i wanted to know and wasnt particularly concerned with learning the whole song .I have to admit it can waste some songs due to a feeling i have never wanting to go back to a song so save your best liked songs for more of an effort to complete .

Every thing you learn take note of its direction within the circle of fifths .....you will see a current in all things usually .

Last edited by markIvan; 04-22-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daza152 View Post
Hi I havn't been playing very long and I'm on my 3rd attempt at learning to play. This time around I am better than I ever were. I am now at the stage were I can play all the open position chords with ease(apart from the f chord). I can play Wish You Were Here alright, even sing and play along to the actual song same with Knockin' On Heavens Door, Bob's version...and was pretty much playing anything with open chords and a strumming pattern to follow. I now face the problem of what do I do now?? Should I carry on doing what I'm doing now until I have it very good or start learning the dreaded barre chords? I also like the blues and thought that would be where I'd like to head eventually. My fear is without some direction it might all become just to over-whelming and give up, which I definately don't want to do as I feel I have learnt the first step of playing, I guess the smart thing to do is not to do too much too soon right? go back and play the songs I know and learn to play barre chords as this is a necessary part of playing the guitar. I have taught myself through books and you tube, and now at a crossroads can you please make some suggestions. Thanks.

Daza.
It's never to early to start learning barre chords. One tip I have on this is to start playing your E major open chord with your middle, ring and pinky fingers.

If you do this for a few weeks whilst playing your repetoire, the E form barre chord won't be so tricky. Also remember to lay your barre finger in a concave shape as opposed to straight. It's much easier this way.

Good luck.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcooper View Post
It's never to early to start learning barre chords. One tip I have on this is to start playing your E major open chord with your middle, ring and pinky fingers.

If you do this for a few weeks whilst playing your repetoire, the E form barre chord won't be so tricky. Also remember to lay your barre finger in a concave shape as opposed to straight. It's much easier this way.

Good luck.
Hey thanks and yeah I've picked up on the curved barre finger too, much easier. I like your idea about playing E that way only slight problem I don't know any songs yet with E, Em of course but not a straight E.t practice a chord progression and do it that way. I will keep up the barre chords too nearly dropped them, thinking it was too early, silly me. LOL.

Daza.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write