The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-01-2020, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

I’m not very good with thumb picks and have discomfort issues too. I do like the Cool picks. Most comfortable for me and a great pick shape and length.
[ATTACH]
[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 888990F4-52BA-4803-83EC-911A8077C77F.jpg (12.7 KB, 96 views)
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 08-01-2020, 03:52 PM

Fred Kelly Bumblebees work for me ... I do sand down the tip a bit

http://https://www.dropbox.com/s/swc...48.25.png?dl=0
Old 08-01-2020, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
+1 for ProPiks. I like the tone it produces, ajustable fit, and a relatively short blade. Not cheap ($14)...but less than the Blue Chip ($40)
OH MY, those have really jumped in price. Two years ago they were $5. And I use to buy them in bulk at $3.95
I got at least 30 of them! Here is just some of the ones I have
Old 08-01-2020, 05:56 PM

I like to use an Alaska fingerpick that is large enough for my thumb. I do file and smooth it down a bit. Feels just like playing with a long thumb nail.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:59 PM

I used to use ProPiks but had a lot of pain in my finger from their use and was not able to use a thumbpick for many years. Now I am using Perfect Touch Thumbpicks and they have proven themselves to work for me without pain.
https://www.perfecttouchpicks.com/st...mb-pick.html#/
Barb
Old 08-01-2020, 07:08 PM

I ran into these at a Bluegrass Festival last year. Jenny had a tent set up and, after passing it a few days, I ventured in. I found my thumb pick. No affiliation and I couldn't recommend them more! Check ou the story behind them.

https://www.perfecttouchpicks.com/#/
Old 08-01-2020, 11:57 PM

Well done jfrancis. Back in action again! Great that experimentation has found a result for you. If glueing slimmer cut down modified pick works, how about fixing pick with some sort of tape? Might be easier? Overall sounds like reduced external pressure on the joint might have helped. Have fun.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:18 AM

Good idea David. The glue is reusable, so its very easy to use. It just stays on the pick when I pull it off. But yes, it is still working! So nice to be able to use the thumbpick again. Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudHa View Post
I have been playing for 15 years with the same Blue Chip JD Crowe thumb pick. It is the most comfortable and best playing thumb pick I can imagine. I tried lots of different thumb picks before I finally broke down and spent the dollars on a Blue Chip pick. If I ever lost it I would buy another.

https://bluechippick.net/thumb-picks/
Stupid expensive, but I’ve probably bought 40 other $1 picks. Now I use the JD BC . It’s the most comfortable by far. Buy this one: https://store.banjobenclark.com/prod...SABEgIBgfD_BwE

Be certain to use the 10% off coupon for your first order. If you hate it, I’ll give you $25 (For size L) for it so you’ll only be out $11.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfranciskay View Post
I play mostly all fingerstyle and am trying to find a thumbpick that will work for me. I was using a standard Dunlop style thumbpick that wraps around your thumb. It sounded and playing-wise felt great, but I have arthritis in my thumb joint and it became extremely painful to wear one. To the point where I actually had to stop playing for about 3 months.

Well the thumb is back to normal (for me anyways). Thinking it may have been a fluke, I tried wearing the thumbpick again and immediately the pain was back. So off with the thumbpick! I feel it was sized correctly as it was the largest I could use that wouldn't slip. I just can't seem to wear anything that compresses the area between the back of the nail and the joint.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or is aware of a different style of thumbpick that has worked well for them.

Any help appreciated!

-Jim
Hi Jim,
Is your middle name Francis? If so I’m in that club.
Anyway, I play fingerstyle with all flesh including thumb.
I play round neck resonator AND BANJO with finger picks.
My choice for thumb picks is GOLDEN GATE brand.
Easily shapable with hot water.
Check them out.

Best,
Blues
Old 08-11-2020, 06:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Thumbpick

Lots of good choices. I have used Golden Gates since the older version of National mediums are no longer made.

Last edited by MFG; 08-12-2020 at 04:33 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:52 PM

Add a +1 from me for PerfectTouchPicks. Very comfy and no frozen thumb tips turning blue and dropping off from frostbite.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:21 PM

I played fingerstyle for over 30 years without a thumbpick using a floating hand position. Then I discovered the thumbpick and changed my hand position to mute the bass strings.

I absolutely loved it until I developed CMC joint arthritis that could produce stabbing pain between my thumb and wrist. I believe the pick and flattened hand position greatly contributed to the arthritis.

I'm starting to switch to a hybrid picking technique where the flatpick stabilizes the thumb and forces more wrist and forearm action to play the bass notes. I really do miss the extra finger for some songs though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion