The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-26-2010, 12:37 AM

Default Practice sessions

I just started learning to play, less than 6 months. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to practice strumming?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:11 AM

Dude, I have been playing less than that unless you count that I started playing 3 years ago but gave up twice......anyway, strumming is easy...I don't use a pick, I use my fingers for strumming and sounds good, are you using a pick? strumming in patterns are a good way to start as in on G chord do a D D DU then change to a C chord and same pattern. What part are you having the most trounle with? I realised after a while its not important to hit all of the notes on the way up, maybe thats partial chords, anyway, it does take heaps of practice to know how to only strum 5 strings or 4 strings and not hits the ones you don't want to, I still hit some bum notes but its all good just enjoy the moment and don't get frustrated....

Daza. I started learning songs that had slow strumming patterns which may also be a good way to learn, I now like faster strumming techniques..
Old 04-26-2010, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldplayer View Post
I just started learning to play, less than 6 months. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to practice strumming?
Try this.

Great site.

http://www.heartwoodguitar.com/WordPressBlog/?p=10
Old 04-27-2010, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the info. The website looks real promising. I'll mess with it for the next week and see how I do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write