The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-23-2020, 08:12 AM

Default Zoom/Jam Kazaam etc newbie

My entry level setup for above, and also for recording the odd You Tube vid for an online community I'm in (Tony's Acoustic Challenge for those interested in such things):

Zoom Q2N as audio source, straight to the 'puter. No fancy sound software, just what's native to Windows 10 or whatever magic is on the latest gen Ipad. One of my guitars has a passive SBT; the other has a clip on mic, powered.

So: will adding a Scarlett via either mic or pick up help the real time on line experience, or add anything to the sound quality of the recordings? I'm not a sound engineer, and probably not going to tweek the recording.

Follow on: If I choose to do this, and I want effects from a Loudbox Artist, is the chain mic/pickup to artist to post effect DI out to Scarlett to 'puter?

Thanks
Scott
Old 08-23-2020, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Is this the Zoom Q2n-4K video recorder?

When used as a streaming device (or interface), you'd be limited to 16-bit audio. The Q2n-4K manual says 48kHz/16-bit. (I know my old H2 had the same limit, though it was 44.1kHz/16-bit, and audio only, of course.)

Now, this is not a huge problem given that you'd typically not be right next to the microphones due to the video capture, so the dynamic range limit might only have some impact on the noise floor, and since everything is squished to heck when streaming, probably not a big issue.

As an audio interface, it's really not up to the job, IMO. If you are singing and micing or using the guitar direct, you'd need something like the 2i2 or better to have sufficient inputs.

You would probably need some software like OBS to integrate using just the video of the Q2n with audio from the Scarlett. I have not used that software myself, and not sure if it can manage 2 audio devices (it does handle multiple video inputs). Someone might chime in on that, in case that's what you were thinking.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:12 PM

I can use the Q2N as a webcam, divorced from audio, and use the Scarlett for all audio. Does my signal chain look correct?
Old 08-23-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
My entry level setup for above, and also for recording the odd You Tube vid for an online community I'm in (Tony's Acoustic Challenge for those interested in such things):

Zoom Q2N as audio source, straight to the 'puter. No fancy sound software, just what's native to Windows 10 or whatever magic is on the latest gen Ipad. One of my guitars has a passive SBT; the other has a clip on mic, powered.

So: will adding a Scarlett via either mic or pick up help the real time on line experience, or add anything to the sound quality of the recordings? I'm not a sound engineer, and probably not going to tweek the recording.

Follow on: If I choose to do this, and I want effects from a Loudbox Artist, is the chain mic/pickup to artist to post effect DI out to Scarlett to 'puter?

Thanks
Scott
There have been some pretty extensive topics recently on "real time" music collaborations, jamming, etc. if you look on the next page or two of topics. Your audio quality isn't much of a bottleneck compared to the latency issue that you run up against when trying to interact with others in a live stream setting.

This recent topic started by Doug Young is a good example of the problems that have to be overcome for collaborative work.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=584920

Last edited by Rudy4; 08-23-2020 at 03:58 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD