The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-23-2019, 02:35 PM

Default "A" tuning okay?

I'm thinkingabout buying a classical guitar. I usually set my guitars to A tuning (F# B E A C# F#).

I figure a classical guitar is built for nylon strings, so it's surely a much lighter build than a guitar built for steel strings, right?

QUESTION 1: Would it be likely that a "typical" classical would be structurally strong enough to handle A tuning?

QUESTION 2: If Q1 is "Yes", then would I have to stick with low tension strings, or would it likely be okay to use high tension strings, at A tuning, if I wanted more volume?

P.S. Yes, I know an option is to set at standard D tuning & use a capo, but I prefer not to do that.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Would not recommend it, steel string or nylon. At least use a light tension string set.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-23-2019, 07:24 PM

Strings by mail offers a large selection of Savarez single strings in many gauges, so that instead of a .028 (for example) a .024 could be used, etc.

Normal .028 .032 .040 .028 .035 .044
Hard .028 .032 .041 .029 .036 .046
Xtra H .029 .033 .041 .030 .036 .047
Old 01-24-2019, 05:29 AM

I'd be very worried. Why not use a tension calculator to work out what strings you would need. In the past i have used this:

https://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/wikla/m.../wwwscalc.html
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 01-24-2019, 07:09 AM

Ditto

use a capo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Would not recommend it, steel string or nylon. At least use a light tension string set.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-25-2019, 08:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hello bellgamin, Bax Burgess is correct!
There are strings out there to accommodate most requests and we design custom sets for customers quite often. I'll have Matt here whip up a set, but he would need to know your preferred tension first for the right feel for you... SLT, LT, MT, HT, SHT?
Old 01-27-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strings By Mail View Post
Hello bellgamin, Bax Burgess is correct!
There are strings out there to accommodate most requests and we design custom sets for customers quite often. I'll have Matt here whip up a set, but he would need to know your preferred tension first for the right feel for you... SLT, LT, MT, HT, SHT?
Thanks for dropping by!!! Are you saying that you can assemble a string set that would let me tune a classical to A, with a *reasonable* (not 100%) probability that it wouldn't overstress the classical's body?
Old 01-28-2019, 01:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
Thanks for dropping by!!! Are you saying that you can assemble a string set that would let me tune a classical to A, with a *reasonable* (not 100%) probability that it wouldn't overstress the classical's body?
Exactly. Just need to know your desired tension you normally play on.

In fact, once created, could make it into a custom C3 set, would be your set and you can name it whatever you want! Makes reordering easy and other players find out this tuning exists.

btw, you can tune a classical string all the way up to A (5th fret) with the right diameter, generally a .024 nylon, without worry or stress on the guitar.

8 string Brahms guitars play a high A as the 1st string. (Paul Galbraith)
Old 01-28-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Just need to know your desired tension you normally play on. ...
Grrreat!!! I will place an order on your website. I will mention my forum user name so you will know it's me. (I assume this is the way it's done, right?)
Old 01-29-2019, 08:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Let me know your desired tension - LT, MT, HT etc and I'll have Matt here make a set for you. Then after playing it, we can create that custom C3 set, barring any slight diameter changes you may want to make.
You can always place an order for a Special Order Request, the $1 charge goes toward your purchase. Excited to get your custom set on your guitar!
Old 01-30-2019, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Let me know your desired tension - LT, MT, HT etc and I'll have Matt here make a set for you. Then after playing it, we can create that custom C3 set, barring any slight diameter changes you may want to make.
You can always place an order for a Special Order Request, the $1 charge goes toward your purchase. Excited to get your custom set on your guitar!
Okay, I did the Special Order Request just now. I'm excited to see & try this custom set.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
Okay, I did the Special Order Request just now. I'm excited to see & try this custom set.
You didn't mention what guitar you were going to buy.

Depending on the scale length (they can vary A LOT), it may be very easy to tune up a whole step from standard with little consideration for lightness of build.

Kenny Hill, for instance, makes classical guitars with scales as short as 615mm, compared to your typical 660mm or so.

Regards,
Howard Emerson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical