The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-30-2018, 07:41 PM

Default Dumb live sound question

OK, so I have always either used a power amp mixer with mains and a monitor, or a kind of stick PA that also works as a monitor.

I have been away from playing live for about 5 years and have been re-acquiring PA equipment. On a recommendation I purchased a Bose S1 (two channels only) and I really like it. What I don't like, however, is not having line volume controls readily accessible. My plan was to add a VoiceSolo FX150 as a mic stand mounted monitor and pass the main mix over to the Bose. For some reason in my mind I was thinking that I could control line levels directly from the FX150, and I am pretty sure that is not possible.

I also considered using something like a Fishman Loudbox in much the same way (with the added benefit of having another small PA option.)

Is my only option to place a mixer in before the Bose? I also wanted to use a BeatBuddy pedal, and after speaking to those guys, I don't want it in the effects chain in front of the DI, so using the effects send and return on the amp would be a good solution.

The other option would be a Fishman SA 330x with the expander unit, but that is significantly larger than the Bose and a lot more to carry around.

So, dumb question, but hopefully good answers....
Old 07-30-2018, 08:07 PM

Not a dumb question at all. Personally, I’d get a small format mixer like the Allen & Heath Zed10FX and run it into the Bose. Analog knobs for quick adjustments with the added benefit of mid sweeps on th efour XLR channels.

It’s more gear, but I’d rather have what I need to make quick adjustments for a good sound. I haul around quite a bit for my solo show, but it sounds killer. (I’m not suggesting you do that though!)

I built my entire system into two flight cases that sets up in 7 minutes. You can search my other posts and see. It’s manageable with one person via a folding rock n roller cart.

Good luck with your setup!

Last edited by The Kid!; 07-31-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:57 PM

The Kid is right. Get an analog Allen and Heath or a Soundcraft mixer with 4 or 5 XLR connectors and you'll be golden.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
The Kid is right. Get an analog Allen and Heath or a Soundcraft mixer with 4 or 5 XLR connectors and you'll be golden.
Yup. I have an early S1. I use a small Soundcraft mixer plugged into it. I found that the Bose also didn’t put out a full 48 Volt Phantom Power but the mixer does.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 08-05-2018, 06:56 AM

I have a small mackie board that i run into
a Sunburst gear m6br8. which is a bit heavier
battery powered speaker. Like the bose the adjustments
are on the speaker and not really conducive
to changes so i do an initial set it and forget it
then adjust mix and eq from the board.
Best way to go imho.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification