The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

View Poll Results: Did the LR Baggs pickup change the acoustic tone of your guitar?
Yes: a change for the better 9 14.52%
Yes: a change for the worse 22 35.48%
No change 31 50.00%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
Ah yes. An extra 30 seconds on my part, with the search feature of AGF would have figured that out.

That with the Baggs mic could be really something.

Agreed! The Baggs mic is very good. If their two channel preamp was adjustable gain for the piezo, it would be better.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:06 AM

I have an M80 magnetic in my Ibanez dread, and it may have diminished the volume ever so slightly, but it hasn't affected the tone.

Couch Standards
Old 07-29-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Did you install yours yourself? I’ve been considering them for sure. Do you use the onboard preamp?
Nope, had my luthier fit it (and remove the K&K's at the same time) - I use the external Stage DI preamp. It's a stunning solution, and I've tried most
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 07-30-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
Well since you mentioned it, we need someone on AGF to try this guy!

The Ultra Tonic!!

Supposedly a K&K improver device. That with the Baggs mic and their amazing Anthem crossover would be the bees, I bet
It may be a matter of semantics, but it's not a K&K "improver". It is, in my view, an improvement on the K&K concept. Better balance of the 1st string, and less bass woofiness. At the January NAMM show, I played demos for a few hours with a guitar with the Ultra Tonic and the ToneDexter. Just marvelous. I'll be installing the Ultra Tonic in my new Baranik when I receive it.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennconducts View Post
It may be a matter of semantics, but it's not a K&K "improver". It is, in my view, an improvement on the K&K concept. Better balance of the 1st string, and less bass woofiness. At the January NAMM show, I played demos for a few hours with a guitar with the Ultra Tonic and the ToneDexter. Just marvelous. I'll be installing the Ultra Tonic in my new Baranik when I receive it.
Thanks for that correction - its a valuable point. I may be confusing the link I sent with an aftermarket solution that James offers for existing K&K users. That second option is a true 'improver' and as you mention, the first one is a stand alone pickup solution.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 07-30-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I think the fact that Baggs employees have confirmed there is often a change is enough proof for me. I installed the SL in my Taylor and noticed a drop in volume but I had also switched to a new saddle material and the saddle height was changed. I think if there is a change, it's very slight.

With that said, I have never noticed a change with the Fishman Matrix. I don't get why the Anthem doesn't just use a harder UST material? I know there's probably more to it but considering the fact that most people use a blend of mostly the tru-mic, then the UST tone is probably not all that crucial.
I think it would be smarter to use a harder UST too! I going to chance putting an Anthem into one of my guitars but I've had some balance issues with more than one element, so fingers crossed!
Old 07-30-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
There is no reason to believe that the polymer piezo materials in the Matrix and Element are actually different (they are both probably polyvinylidene fluoride).
I have reason to believe it, I've had three different guitars where an Element didn't work because of balance problems (mainly the B&E strings), along with two Dtar systems with their flexible element-like UST. Soon as I went to Matrix infinity systems in those guitars, the problems went away. Then I changed the Infinity systems to B-band UST based systems and experienced no problems with that either. But I want to try the full anthem system in a guitar, so I'm going to chance that element UST again!
Old 07-30-2018, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I have reason to believe it, I've had three different guitars where an Element didn't work because of balance problems (mainly the B&E strings), along with two Dtar systems with their flexible element-like UST. Soon as I went to Matrix infinity systems in those guitars, the problems went away. Then I changed the Infinity systems to B-band UST based systems and experienced no problems with that either. But I want to try the full anthem system in a guitar, so I'm going to chance that element UST again!
I have had (4) different guitars with Anthems. None of them exhibit hotter or weaker string volumes. That's my personal experience.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-30-2018, 08:01 PM

Default Poll: LR Baggs pickups change acoustic tone?

I had a chance to gig test my guitar this weekend. I tested with the Anthem and it was problematic in the guitar. The install was not done correctly. The UST shorted and cut out when I hit hard.

So after pulling that, I tested K&K at home with the Anthem. It was Ok. Not bad but the pickup is too hot and caused some balance and impedance issues. Then, I tried the K&K passive and with a Schatten Player II preamp. The results.... several wasted sets of strings and no closer to a solution. So, I pulled it all out, cleaned the bridge plate and re-installed the Lyric in the back position. It was great. Did the sets live and it sounded great straight to the house through a passive DI box.

Here’s my take on pickups: If you have a very special sounding guitar, don't bother installing anything. Otherwise, pick your poison.

This (plus a 9V battery) must do something to the tone of an acoustic guitar made of light weight woods.

Last edited by martingitdave; 07-31-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:40 AM

I'm one of those who could hear a clear difference when the Element was or wasn't installed.
In one guitar the change was so obvious for the worse that I couldn't bear the sound of this guitar and I sold it. So that has been my stand on this issue.

Today I carried out a test and you can listen to the results of it in the clip below.
Firstly I recorded the guitar with the Element transducer removed from under the saddle and then (starting at 0:52) you can hear the recording with the Element back on.
I tried to keep all variables the same which is the same guitar, strings, pick, microphone and its distance and position, room and audio interface.
The clip hasn't been compressed (so it's a bit quiet), only normalized.
Sorry for the background noise.

Can you hear a difference?

Last edited by Monsum; 08-19-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
I'm one of those who could hear a clear difference when the Element was or wasn't installed.
In one guitar the change was so obvious for the worse that I couldn't bear the sound of this guitar and I sold it. So that has been my stand on this issue.

Today I carried out a test and you can listen to the results of it in the clip below.
Firstly I recorded the guitar with the Element transducer removed from under the saddle and then (starting at 0:52) you can hear the recording with the Element back on.
I tried to keep all variables the same which is the same guitar, strings, pick, microphone and its distance and position, room and audio interface.

https://soundcloud.com/spirit-on/lr-...nt-pickup-test
Not hearing a difference.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 08-08-2018, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

I hear virtually no difference in the fingerstyle part, the strumming sounds a bit less edgy with the pickup, and is an improvement to my ears.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Doug. No difference and if there is, one could argue it sounds maybe a little better. I continue to conclude; Great PU! I have a couple Anthems in my Martins and I am very pleased acoustically and amplified.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-08-2018, 03:38 PM

I still believe we often hear what we want to hear. I wonder how many of us would notice a change if we didn’t know before hand that this was an “issue”? I just look at the numerous professional musicians with high end or vintage guitars who are using the Anthem and have no issues with it. I like to think they have a better ear than me.

On a side note, I gigged with a matrix blend system for years. When I finally pulled it out, my guitar lost something. It just lacked warmth. I think in some cases, if there is a change, it can actually be a good thing.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post

https://soundcloud.com/spirit-on/lr-...-pickup-test-1

Did you use two different saddles to keep the strings at the same height from the top?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification