The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-12-2015, 07:15 AM

Default Zoom R24 acoustic samples?

I'm interested in the potential of a small, portable recording unit such as the Zoom R24.

I record mostly acoustic instruments such as guitar, banjo, mandolin, and know from experience that these high-transient instruments, along with some percussion like tambourine, cabasa, etc. can reveal some limitations/characteristics of a preamp.

I've been looking online for well-recorded, clean samples of instruments recorded through the R24 preamps without effects or compression applied. This seems hard to come by.

Does anyone have short samples of raw, unmixed & unaffected recordings from their projects they'd be willing to share?

Thanks for your time, D

Last edited by DarrenH; 07-12-2015 at 09:43 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-12-2015, 08:42 PM

If you want a pure and unadulterated example of what the R24 can do go to this Banjo Hangout forum topic and scroll down to LyleK's entry. There's a couple photos of me doing a live remote recording with nothing more than the R24 and some average run of the mill mics. The song is "Going Down To Cairo" and features upright bass (D.I.ed pickup) banjo, guitar, fiddle, and vocals. The recording is a simple mix to adjust levels and panning and was then converted to 128kb mp3. A higher bit rate would sound a bit better, but it should give you an example of what can be done with the R24.

The band recorded 24 songs on two consecutive Saturdays and will release a CD of the best 20 mixes.

http://www.banjohangout.org/topic/305962/2
Old 07-13-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
If you want a pure and unadulterated example of what the R24 can do go to this Banjo Hangout forum topic and scroll down to LyleK's entry. There's a couple photos of me doing a live remote recording with nothing more than the R24 and some average run of the mill mics. The song is "Going Down To Cairo" and features upright bass (D.I.ed pickup) banjo, guitar, fiddle, and vocals. The recording is a simple mix to adjust levels and panning and was then converted to 128kb mp3. A higher bit rate would sound a bit better, but it should give you an example of what can be done with the R24.

The band recorded 24 songs on two consecutive Saturdays and will release a CD of the best 20 mixes.

Thanks for the link Randy, it's a really nice even recording and great players. Quite enjoyed the listen. Agreed that especially given the instrumentation there's probably a lot more 'air' to the recordings than what I'm hearing at 128.

That aside, it's a nicely engineered/produced recording. Thanks, D

Last edited by DarrenH; 07-13-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post

By the way, did you run your condenser mics straight into the Zoom and rely on the onboard phantom power or use a separate preamp?
Old 07-13-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenH View Post
By the way, did you run your condenser mics straight into the Zoom and rely on the onboard phantom power or use a separate preamp?
Pure and unadulterated also referred to nothing extra on the front end. Mics were run directly to the R24 and phantom powered from it's inputs.

Thanks for the kind words!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
acoustic, instruments, preamp, zoom r24