The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-30-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
What he should have said was: G position, capo 5, ie key of C.

HE
Yes, a competent bandleader is unambiguous. The key is NEVER dependent on the capo position.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 09-30-2020, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've tested G position in capo 7 which is the key of D. I also tried playing in D without a capo. Both sounds similar but obviously one was high and the other was lower. All I'm wondering is if I decided to go with the D without a capo, would it fit with the band who are playing G position on capo 7th fret? I just wanted to understand the theory behind it and checking I got it right.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:15 PM

So there are other acoustic guitars in the band? If so, it would sound better (to my ear at least) if one played capoed and one without. As someone else mentioned, it will sound fuller... But if there are other instruments in the band like piano, electric guitar, etc., you could be encroaching on another instrument's space.... Also it's important for all the guitars to play in rhythm with each other as well.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
So there are other acoustic guitars in the band? If so, it would sound better (to my ear at least) if one played capoed and one without. As someone else mentioned, it will sound fuller... But if there are other instruments in the band like piano, electric guitar, etc., you could be encroaching on another instrument's space.... Also it's important for all the guitars to play in rhythm with each other as well.
There's an acoustic (me), keyboard, bass and drums. I don't really like playing with the capo on 7th fret as in my opinion it doesn't sound as nice. Too high for my liking. So looking at ways to avoid a capo on this occasion.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
There's an acoustic (me), keyboard, bass and drums. I don't really like playing with the capo on 7th fret as in my opinion it doesn't sound as nice. Too high for my liking. So looking at ways to avoid a capo on this occasion.
Capo 7 is pretty ridiculous.

Tp play in the KEY of D with a Capo on 5 would mean your key chord (D) would be a A shape.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Capo 7 is pretty ridiculous.

Tp play in the KEY of D with a Capo on 5 would mean your key chord (D) would be a A shape.
It's on capo 7 using G shape. Just trying to find out the original key.

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-30-2020, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's on capo 7 using G shape. Just trying to find out the original key.

Thanks for your help!
You said your band leader told you D.
D is D wherever and whatever shape you use.

I suggest that you learn the CAGED system. If necessary, maybe I could help with a zoom lesson? PM me if interested.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:23 PM

There seems to be confusion over the question. Key of G is a G chord with no capo. Capo 3rd fret and play E shape. Capo 5th fret and play D shape. You could capo 7th fret and play C shape though that isn't played like that very often. Or maybe that's not what you are asking.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I've tested G position in capo 7 which is the key of D. I also tried playing in D without a capo. Both sounds similar but obviously one was high and the other was lower. All I'm wondering is if I decided to go with the D without a capo, would it fit with the band who are playing G position on capo 7th fret? I just wanted to understand the theory behind it and checking I got it right.
Have you tried capo on the 3rd fret, and then starting off with an A chord?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru....php?t=1676368
Old 09-30-2020, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

I'm sooo glad I play solo finger style

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-30-2020, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The chords that was sent over by the band leader was in the key of G on capo 5. All I'm wondering is, is this possible to do without a capo.
Hi Clouds

I guess I'd first ask the worship leader why he charted it that way. Did they have a purpose in charting it this way. If not, then ask if you can play the chords in 1st position in key of C.

Very often if there are multiple guitars when I'm playing, I'll often use a capo and move up the neck to keep from playing the identical chord formations as another guitar player.

So do the leader and yourself a favor and ask. It's probably an opportunity for relationship building, and perhaps musical growth.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-30-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
What he should have said was: G position, capo 5, ie key of C.

HE
Exactly. Or, as I've done in bands, just have the understanding that something like "play it in G" always refers to the chord shape. That way we can capo, tune down, etc. to our hearts' content without mentally transposing. When it actually mattered, we'd specify the "actual" key.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:51 PM

I think there's been some confusion caused by myself. I assumed it was in the key of D because I misread the chart system. All the band leader sent over was G position capo on 7th fret. I have no idea what the key is. All I'm trying to work out is avoid playing capo on the 7th fret as that's way too high up the neck and sounds way too high and not as full.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:40 AM

This is what I'm referring to. It says key of A capo 2 (whatever that means). All I'm trying to do is find a way to avoid using the capo on the 7th fret.

I may just play this in G position with capo on 7th fret and take my time to learn more about guitar theory!

Old 10-01-2020, 04:12 AM
Charter Member

We are firing at a moving target. You said that he had advised that the key was D didn't he?

This is plainly a piece in A.
He is showing guitar SHAPES for capo 2.

He is them presumably adding a second guitar playing at capo 7 which would mean that your key chord SHAPE would be a D shape (for A).

As this is a religious thing I'm guessing you are in the US. Wouldn't it be better if your band leader simply used the so called "Nashville Numbering system" which would easily enable you to transcribe.

e.g
I .....V .......IV ....I...V.....IV ........ I.....V
there is a redeemer, Jesus gods only son

etc.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 10-01-2020 at 04:24 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion