The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2019, 06:19 PM

Default I’ve got no story...but quite a story! (7)

As I examined a nondescript middle aged man today I thought to ask if he happened to play guitar.
“Yes I do, but I need to work harder on it!”
So I give him a guitar pick and tell him that for the pick he owes me the story on how he got his guitar.
“Well there is really no story”
I urged him to tell me anyway.
“Years ago I decided I wanted to Learn to play and that I would get me a Martin D-28 and start. So I went to the music store and bought a HD-28V “
I picked my jaw up off the floor and said , “ hold on! Are you telling me you had never played, and you bought a 3K guitar to start with!”
He looked me straight in the eye and said, “yup”.
I tried to get some sort of a background story, but he held with this one. He decided to to play guitar and would start with a D-28.
He did grin and say that when they told him Martin gave a lifetime warranty, he thought to put it in his daughters name.
So that is the “non-story”. I think it is remarkable.

Last edited by whvick; 09-21-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

After a lifetime in the mid-west I've known people with this type of reasoning. It's always amazed me. I wouldn't doubt he'll keep it forever and never question the decision.

I knew a guy that had bought a Fender guitar and amp about 1970 or so. He played in a band in high school. After that he put it in storage and never has played since. I asked him if he wanted to sell it. He didn't really want to. In further conversation he thought it was worth a mountain gold. Which it isn't. So I never asked him about it again. No reason to.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-22-2019, 09:00 AM

What does (7) mean?
Old 09-22-2019, 09:03 AM

I love it.

A friend of mine, single dad with a good job, decided he wanted to play. He ended up selecting a Collings D2H with a German top. Freaking incredible, jaw dropping instrument. He’s had it several years, is truly a beginner just teaching himself chords, but he lights up like the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree when he plays it.

He had the funds and decided to go big or go home. I respect that.

Love that the gentlemen in your story thought to put it in his daughters name. That’s cool.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:32 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
What does (7) mean?
I figured out that whvick is numbering the stories he's collected from his practice of handing out guitar picks to his patients and asking for a story in return.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-22-2019, 09:46 AM

If he liked it and could afford it why would it matter?

I have guitars that are far better than my skill level would suggest.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
...when they told him Martin gave a lifetime warranty, he thought to put it in his daughter's name. ..
Could get interesting when she's 80 years old and sends it back for a neck reset - sorry I won't be around to see it...
Old 09-22-2019, 12:41 PM

In 2017 I lost my mom.
She was very sick and as I’m a medical professional, as she was, it was a “let her go, or prolong her suffering” situation. And it totally sucked.
(How’s that for setting the stage?)

It was May 17, three days before mom passed.
I knew she was actively dying. I was working, but my heart wasn’t in it.
My head was in the game, where it belonged. But every time the phone rang I expected it to be someone telling me I needed to come home.
The day wore on and eventually we had a patient that no one could get a needle in for dialysis.
They called for me, as I am both good, and often lucky.
As I’m sticking 15 gauge needles into this person, my cell starts ringing.
As I have blood up to the third joint on my gloves hands....I let the call go to voice mail.
Turns out mom was ok, for the moment.
The call was one of the local music stores I buy from.
The employee that sold me my Alvarez MD70CE for my fiftieth, called me to let me know that they’d gotten a Yairi in the store. And that while it wasn’t the model I’d been searching for, it was likely to be one I liked.
Before calling back, I sent a text to my wife. I told her all about how I’d been pretty preoccupied, and wasn’t having a great day, but that the Tune Shop had called me about a guitar. And that it had pretty much turned my perspective on the day around. Cause in the midst of my “pre-mourning” someone thought of me, out of the blue.
She told me call back, get the particulars, and if the guitar seemed worthy to buy it.
At this point, I thought I was being “punk’d” by my wife, or that she’s being held hostage somewhere, and that was her “duress code”.
She doesn’t send me to buy guitars.

That day, I became the custodian of my very first Alvarez Yairi. A GY1 Jerry Garcia signature model.
And I don’t even like the Grateful Dead.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 09-23-2019, 10:06 AM

Interesting tales, More than just an instrument sometimes precious memories are enclosed within!

Last edited by NotveryGood; 09-23-2019 at 10:16 AM. Reason: duplication
Old 09-23-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Before I came to the US in 1984, one of my favourite bands was, and still is, Jethro Tull. I've been a fingerpicker most of my playing life, and I became enraptured with Ian Anderson's playing - and found out that, at the time, a Martin 0-16NY was his primary choice of instrument.

One of these was pretty much unobtanium in the UK in the early 1980s. But, I did stumble upon a close facsimile in my local guitar store in 1983 - a Takamine F312S. Pretty much an exact copy of my holy grail. So, I bought it, became besotted - it was a lovely little guitar - and brought it to the US with me when I came here in 1984.

So, I land in Massachusetts in the summer of 1984. Perusing the classifieds of my small town newspaper one night, I couldn't believe my eyes. Someone nearby was advertising a 1963 0-16NY, for a princely $340. 24 hours later, it was mine. It had been 'well-loved' at that stage, no closet queen here. But, it had that essential Martin magic, and was clearly a cut or two above my previously beloved Takamine.

It's been with me ever since - 35 years of its 56 year existence - and I will never part with it. It's had some work done to it over the years - new bridge, a top split cleated, new tuners - but it's still my #1.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I feel an urge to listen to "Thick As A Brick"
I really enjoyed reading about your guitar. It was hearing the acoustic playing of Ian Anderson around the period 71/75 that really made me want to learn to play. What baffled me so much after I had learned a few chords ,was that nothing I played sounded anything like Ian Anderson. I finally managed to get hold of an early Jethro Tull songbook (Aqualung I think) but it was no help whatsoever, as it gave the chords as they actually are with no mention of a capo which I wouldnt have known what to do with in any case!
Hard to believe now in these days of Youtube etc but I was in the dark for some time. When I finally got to see Jethro Tull for the first time the penny dropped! A Capo on the third fret, and "So you ride yourself over the fields"... becomes G...A...D....!!! I was away!
My favourite things to play on guitar are still things like "Mother Goose" , "Wondering Aloud","Dun Ringill" and like you I still love that style!
I reluctantly gave up on seeing Ian Live a few years ago when his failing voice made for an uncomfortable concert experience and the departure of Martin sealed it really. Id still seek out his studio work though
Great memories though thanks for sharing yours!
All the best
Old 09-23-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
I'll leave you to your conscience but please stay away from my family if they have to sell my property.
Yes, specially if they try to sell my guitars for the amount I told them I paid for.
'02 American Series Strat – Sky Blue/RW
'05 Epiphone Les Paul – Amber Birdseye Maple w/ SD 59 neck & JB bridge
'04 Yamaha FG403S Dread
'14 Recording King ROS-06 12-fret Slothead
'17 Recording King 000 RO-T16 Torrefied top
Old 09-23-2019, 12:14 PM

Default I’ve got no story...but quite a story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
What does (7) mean?

It is the 7th guitar story I have posted on what these people tell me about their guitars and how they got them.

Last edited by whvick; 09-23-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:56 PM

It seems that all my story threads have been combined into one thread, I assume by the webmaster. It does make it a little harder to follow the different responses. But it is all good fun!
Old 09-23-2019, 03:17 PM

Default GrandPa’s Gibson (8)

I was examining a 16 year old girl and found that she was learning guitar. I gave her a guitar pick and told her she had to give me her guitar story in exchange for the pick.
“Well I guess my story is that I have my Grandpa’s Gibson!”
That got my interest, so I coaxed the rest from her.
She had a junk guitars when she was little (her mom said it said Hannah Montana) when she was little. Her grandpa said one day she could have his old guitar.
As he got older he could not play, so he gave/sold it to a friend. This year after he passed away the friend of Grandpa sold it to her mom. The details were a little hazy, but mom was glad to pay him, and was convinced it was about 1/4 it’s true value.
So now the guitar is the girls and she is working on learning to play both that flattop and an electric.
She showed me a blurry picture on her phone, and in small print it said Gibson right above the nut, and Epiphone in the headstock. It was a flat-top sunburst with a cut-away.
So Gibson or Epiphone by Gibson, she still has her Grandpa’s guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion