The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-11-2019, 04:32 PM

Thanks Marty C.!

Next I was going to do the same song (bit sick of it) with my Taylor 717e direct to the Boss VE8. But there may be a delay as I put a cut on my fingerpicker thumb! Right where it touches the string.

Gig Law No 5a says the phone will ring any moment for .....

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 09-11-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Hey BK, since you asked, I found another clip of me playin' the "Freebird" request on FB... recorded by a friend in audience on a cell phone halfway into it. Again jus' me, a Tak n Loudbox. I'm sure there are several more out there I haven't kept track of LOL! Use headphones etc... https://www.facebook.com/eric.alabis...3001979929322/
Old 09-12-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Hey BK, since you asked, I found another clip of me playin' the "Freebird" request on FB... recorded by a friend in audience on a cell phone halfway into it. Again jus' me, a Tak n Loudbox. I'm sure there are several more out there I haven't kept track of LOL! Use headphones etc... https://www.facebook.com/eric.alabis...3001979929322/
Sounds great Eric!

Unfortunately, while the vid caught you at the end of being in full flight, you were coming in for a landing...so you are just going to have to sit yourself down with that Tak acoustically and ...do it again..unplugged? Give us the nice, new update.

BluesKing777.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Another great version!

I keep that one in my back pocket, as well. For the same reason. I work another song into it, with a similar chord arrangement. Keeps 'em guessing.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Sounds great Eric!

Unfortunately, while the vid caught you at the end of being in full flight, you were coming in for a landing...so you are just going to have to sit yourself down with that Tak acoustically and ...do it again..unplugged? Give us the nice, new update.

BluesKing777.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Another great version!

I keep that one in my back pocket, as well. For the same reason. I work another song into it, with a similar chord arrangement. Keeps 'em guessing.
Thank you gentlemen for the kind words... sometimes I use my voice more as an instrument for the theme melody, I do the same on Turn The Page for the sax part... but other times I riff it on the guitar, always improvising!

Yo Cap I do a lot of mash ups combining some Led Zep with Bob Seger, Cat Stevens with the Police, Bob Marley with Steve Miller; some real crazy surprises are fun for the audience... and my tip jar!!
Old 09-15-2019, 06:03 AM

Hi BluesKing,

Thanks for posting, I always enjoy your recordings and thoughts on acoustic pickups! I wondered if you might comment a bit more on your Maton Messiah 808 versus your other two Matons in terms of both the amplified pickup tone and the acoustic tones of the instruments?

I have a Maton Michael Fix 808 which is my main stage guitar. As you well know, the AP5 Pro pickup system in these instruments sounds great. Acoustically, the traditonal line of Maton 808's with their thin finish and Queensland maple back and sides have a very dry sound with a lot of clarity in the high end of the frequency range.

I am interested in the Messiah line as they are built with a gloss finish and more traditional pairing of spruce and Indian Rosewoord. Does it have a more complex acoustic tone than your other 808's, e.g. more mids and more overtones? And if so, does that translate to the amplified tone, or is the amplified tone more or less the same as the other 808's?

Thanks for any thoughts you may have on this! I'd like to add another Maton and am trying to decide whether it's worthwhile to go the Messiah or Custom Shop route for something really different, or just stick with something like the TE or Nashville model for the typical Maton sound.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:15 AM

It is a stunning 808 with beautiful workmanship and quality materials, top of the line production model. A great guitar to own and explore. With that said, the pickup captures the essence of the gloss guitar but I have trouble with the onboard EQ more than my matt finish....more mahogany style tone that amplifies ‘simpler’. Hmm, digging a bit of a hole. That is why I also like the Tonedexter sounds I have been working on, not as ‘bright’??? Put it this way, when I played it at the shop last year, I bought it then and there with “DADGAD tuning PLUS” duties in mind and I was right. I prefer my black Maton for country blues fingerpicking and it would be similar to your Fix.

BluesKing777.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:16 AM

Thanks, that's very helpful!
Old 09-16-2019, 04:35 AM

You're alright for an old fart....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification