The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-03-2018, 08:03 PM

Default tips to keep finger nails or alternatives to long nails

Well as the title states how do you guys pick? Is anyone using finger picks for this style? I spent about 4 weeks growing my nails out and had them shaped pretty well, I figured a week or two and they would look close to the examples I see in my book and on the web.

However life happened and I had my first finger break and tear considerably. Keeping long nails might not ever be in the cards for me. In my past life I was an Automotive Technician, and in my current life I'm an Automotive Instructor. My current job keeps my hands clean for the most part. If I'm teaching an electrical class or operational theory class they stay clean. However I also teach some hands on classes with what we call hardware (auto trans, Engines etc...). So for about 3 weeks in a row I was teaching theory classes and last week I did a hardware class...

Has anyone else dealt with similar road blocks? I had really started to get used to the feel of plucking with my nails. I don't care for flat picks, but I have never tried finger picks. I don't think they are really intended for this style but if someone else has, I'm curious to how they worked out.

Thanks

James
Old 03-03-2018, 10:29 PM

I am still struggling with this as well. Even though I don't have a job that is hard on my nails I still manage to break one every once in a while. I don't polish and smooth them every day which would no doubt help keep them from snagging on things. I may try clear nail polish if it isn't too shiny. I never tried nail picks as I mostly play classical guitar.
1992 Paulino Bernabe M-50
2005 Breedlove C-25 Northwest Classic
1968 Taurus model 56
2005 Dan Lankford 8 Course Renaissance Lute
old German Lute Guitar
1982 Yamaha G231 II
Old 03-04-2018, 01:10 AM

When I used to work on my car it was tough on my nails, but I don’t do my own maintenance anymore.

There are gloves for mechanics - if you don’t use them now you probably should.

I use a two part product called Mavala Nail Shield. (I actually only use part one which has nylon fibers in it.) someone recommended it on this forum awhile back. Great stuff.

Use a hand moisturizer. I use Aveeno Skin Relief Hand Cream, it works great and it’s unscented.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:20 AM

I tried clear nail polish and my nails cracked underneath the clear. The Mavala Nail Shield although expensive might just do the trick.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:59 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I do all sorts of work around the house and my work sometimes involved physical labor as well. As I matured my nails became thin and brittle. Keeping a set of nails for any length of time became nigh-on impossible. Of course, with gigging that imposed challenges. Eventually as one important gig approached and my nails began coming apart.

My wife grabbed my by the scruff of my neck, dragged me to her nail salon, and introduced me to her nail tech. I ended up with a two-part acrylic cap applied to my nails that in indistinguishable from my regular nails. Every two weeks or so I go back in and get a "fill-in" behind the area that has grown out. If I break a nail it can be repaired. It's been about twenty years and I still have 'em. If I break one when I work on the car they can be repaired. More HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-04-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I do all sorts of work around the house and my work sometimes involved physical labor as well. As I matured my nails became thin and brittle. Keeping a set of nails for any length of time became nigh-on impossible. Of course, with gigging that imposed challenges. Eventually as one important gig approached and my nails began coming apart.

My wife grabbed my by the scruff of my neck, dragged me to her nail salon, and introduced me to her nail tech. I ended up with a two-part acrylic cap applied to my nails that in indistinguishable from my regular nails. Every two weeks or so I go back in and get a "fill-in" behind the area that has grown out. If I break a nail it can be repaired. It's been about twenty years and I still have 'em. If I break one when I work on the car they can be repaired. More HERE.

Bob
Thanks, Bob for the post and blog re: acrylic nails. I've been playing 50+ years and just recently had exactly the same positive experience. The acrylics have made a significant difference in my playing, tone, and comfort … and desire to play. Because I also play piano, I keep my nails filed down fairly close to the finger, so I still get some flesh attack too.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1591 View Post
Thanks, Bob for the post and blog re: acrylic nails. I've been playing 50+ years and just recently had exactly the same positive experience. The acrylics have made a significant difference in my playing, tone, and comfort … and desire to play. Because I also play piano, I keep my nails filed down fairly close to the finger, so I still get some flesh attack too.
This thought defiantly crossed my mind. Due to my wife mention that the only way she can keep nails is with them. To be honest I was hoping someone would recommend this. I guess my insecurities just needed someone else to say what I was thing out loud.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

I think that one of the secrets is to keep your picking nails as short as possible and to file them frequently to remove and small faults that may increase.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I think that one of the secrets is to keep your picking nails as short as possible and to file them frequently to remove and small faults that may increase.
I too keep my nails relatively short. The tips of my nails are about even with the flesh at the tip of my finger. I like the tone and control/feel I get this way, as well as the reduced likelihood of breaking nails.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:55 AM

I’m a steel string player, and my biggest problem is the extra wear to my index fingernail from all the contact with the wound strings. The Mavala Nail Shield greatly protects the nail from wear. I apply it only to the top 1/8” of my nails making sure to coat the top, the edge and the underside of the nails. I touch up the edge every few days.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:07 PM

I struggled with this issue for years, and only recently tried acrylic nails. Fabulous, just about covers it, they don't have to be long, they are a natural colour and nobody would notice if I didn't point them out.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Bob
+1 Lily at Star Nails changed mt life.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 03-04-2018, 04:34 PM

I use the supplement Biotin (one small capsule daily). Accelerates nail growth and greatly strengthens them.

As others say, file out any nicks -immediately- Those are what catch and tear a nail.

The rare times I get a tear started that is too deep to file out, I superglue it closed. I need to redo the superglue every few days until it grows out far enough to file through the tear.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

A few months ago I decided to try out acrylic nails. I wish I had done it sooner. I prefer them greatly over fingerpicks.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHD35 View Post
A few months ago I decided to try out acrylic nails. I wish I had done it sooner. I prefer them greatly over fingerpicks.
Yes, they are marvellous, and such good quality nowadays.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical