The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2019, 03:56 AM

Default Yamaha Gigmaker 310 quality

Greetings

Been getting back into guitar after some years, not a beginner although on a beginner budget at the moment. Have a C40 which is great so want a steel string to play different type of music.

Does anyone play or own a Yamaha 310? Is it a quality instrument? I could pick up the gig maker pack for at around $200AUD

Cheerio
Old 05-19-2019, 05:25 AM

The guitar that comes with the gigmaker deluxe kit is an FD01S, which on paper is essentially just like an FG800S -- solid sitka spruce top, laminate NATO back and sides.

Personally, I think the FG800S is a better guitar--Yamaha updated the bracing with the 800 series, whereas the FD01S I'd bet did not get the updates.

A bundle for the FG800S would be a better choice in my opinion. That said, the FD01S is a pretty decent instrument, but the FG800S is the best selling guitar in the world for a reason.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
The guitar that comes with the gigmaker deluxe kit is an FD01S, which on paper is essentially just like an FG800S -- solid sitka spruce top, laminate NATO back and sides.

Personally, I think the FG800S is a better guitar--Yamaha updated the bracing with the 800 series, whereas the FD01S I'd bet did not get the updates.

A bundle for the FG800S would be a better choice in my opinion. That said, the FD01S is a pretty decent instrument, but the FG800S is the best selling guitar in the world for a reason.
The F310 in this pack is all laminate, including the top. You are correct that the FG800 is a far better choice.
https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...xoCP5gQAvD_BwE
Old 05-19-2019, 08:04 AM

I agree with this advice - look for an FG800 bundle - much better value with a terrific guitar. You will not be disappointed.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 05-19-2019, 08:37 AM

Check out Orangewood guitars online only, The Rey is very nice at $135 with a padded gigbag
Even if it is all Laminate it sounds better than a lot of solid top guitars I've owned or played
Shipping is free also
I don't work for these guys or anything I'm just a person who has bought two with the third one on it's way
Old 05-19-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Check out Orangewood guitars online only, The Rey is very nice at $135 with a padded gigbag
Even if it is all Laminate it sounds better than a lot of solid top guitars I've owned or played
Shipping is free also
I don't work for these guys or anything I'm just a person who has bought two with the third one on it's way
The OP used Australian dollars (AUD) so the free shipping from Orangewood guitars would not be available to him if he lives outside of the US. Plus the difference between our Aussie dollar and yours also makes it more expensive.

Last edited by PaulRF; 05-20-2019 at 03:25 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

The 310 is ok for a basic first time instrument. Yamaha makes quality products. But my guess is you will tire of it soon and start looking for a solid top or all solid wood instrument eventually.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:24 AM

I used to have one of those gigmaker models. Definitely not as rich sounding as the FG700/800 series.

If you are considering a Yammy, the Kraft Music bundle packages aren't bad.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:58 AM

Great thanks for the replies, will look into the upper tier model as videos suggested the same thing. With guitars yes in Australia unfortunately can't order many things from overseas plus dollar is weak.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
...........but the FG800S is the best selling guitar in the world for a reason.
Wow, that says a lot. I will keep an eye out during my next visit to my local box store, just out of curiosity.

A google search brings up the FG800 but with no S, is there a difference?
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-21-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Wow, that says a lot. I will keep an eye out during my next visit to my local box store, just out of curiosity.

A google search brings up the FG800 but with no S, is there a difference?
The 7 series had an S at the end, meaning Solid top. The FG800 has the solid top but apparently no "S" at the end.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Notes View Post
Great thanks for the replies, will look into the upper tier model as videos suggested the same thing. With guitars yes in Australia unfortunately can't order many things from overseas plus dollar is weak.
Derringers Music sells the FG800 Natural for $349. I purchased my FG820 lefty from them and although their price was $420 I was able to buy it for $380 as they will match cheaper prices else where.

https://derringers.com.au/fretted/gu...nufacturer=685

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion