The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-12-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw48 View Post
It must have been really interesting to visit Nick’s workshop. Someday, when travel is possible again, I want to get to Portland and see where Nick works his magic. Speaking of magic, Nick does seem to have managed to make this guitar a big OM in terms of how it sounds. I look forward to hear about your OM.
It was really cool seeing Nick's shop. The most amazing part is when he opened his wood locker and starts pulling out gorgeous pieces of BRW and 50 and 60 year old German/Swiss spruce tops! Almost overwhelming choosing pieces. Side note, he's planning on starting my build in February.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mykey View Post
It was really cool seeing Nick's shop. The most amazing part is when he opened his wood locker and starts pulling out gorgeous pieces of BRW and 50 and 60 year old German/Swiss spruce tops! Almost overwhelming choosing pieces. Side note, he's planning on starting my build in February.
Ah, that's exciting!
Old 01-18-2021, 01:11 PM

I wanted to post some photos of my Jumbo, but I got too involved in playing to take the time to take any pictures. Then I made some efforts, and discovered that the African Blackwood is nearly impossible to photograph without my prominent reflection making it into a "selfie". After a number of attempts, I managed some halfway decent photographs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC3458 (2).jpg (44.3 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC3459 (2).jpg (35.2 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC3461 (1).jpg (26.3 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC3463 (2).jpg (31.5 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by mhw48; 01-18-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar...

Try taking it outside in bright sunshine (example below)

Old 01-18-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Beautiful guitar...

Try taking it outside in bright sunshine (example below)
Thanks, that's a good idea, I'll give it a try. (and your example is also a beautiful guitar!)
Old 01-18-2021, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is that a Klepper? That backstrip sure looks like it.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
Is that a Klepper? That backstrip sure looks like it.
Yes it is...
Old 01-20-2023, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

I’m reviving the thread for a one year update….
Old 01-21-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
I’m reviving the thread for a one year update….
I am really loving my Franklin Jumbo. When I first got the guitar, the bass was pretty impressive but it somewhat overshadowed the trebles. Since then the guitar has loosened up and really sparkles. It is now very well balanced from top to bottom.
I am not good at all at describing how a guitar sounds (My efforts remind me of my attempts to write book reports in second grade: "The book was nice! I liked it!") but I'll give it a go...
The jumbo is different from my Franklin Dread, which initially surprised me, then made me appreciate their differences. The Dread might actually be the louder of the two and maybe a bit warmer, (or maybe just a bit more "woody" due to the mahogany) while the Jumbo has a more "glassy" and complex sound. It might seem like a contradiction, but while the Jumbo has more overtones, the notes also seem more focused at the same time, perhaps due to the shallower depth of the body. When I'm playing, the guitar just feels alive.
Nick builds a magical instrument!
Speaking of Nick, Fretboard Journal published an interesting piece on him:

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/fea...lin-guitar-co/

Last edited by mhw48; 01-22-2023 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for both the update on your guitar and for the link to the FJ article on Nick. My Franklin OMC gets better and better (it is 3-1/2 years old now) . I owe him a call but with the nocturnal hours that he keeps, it is hard to stay in touch?
Old 01-22-2023, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Ha, in fact, I had just read the FBJ article and scoured every shop I could think of to find a used non-cutaway Jumbo. I’ve always wanted one as I learned blues guitar through Stefan Grossman’s CDs and DVDs. I think I own maybe 60! I bought a Martin HJ-38 SG but the dreadnaught depth was too muddy for me. I think Nick’s Jumbo would be perfect, although I remembered iim7V7IM7 has a 16” OM which made me re-read this thread.

Jeanne tells me Nick is still working on relocating and fixing up his shop a bit, but he's getting my D-28 next month for its 44-year-old tuneup. My 1989 OM-5 and my 1980 OM-28 remain forever guitars...and I'm a mahogany guy (though I'm forever set with my vintage Martins) but I think a Mahogany, Koa, Maple, or some sort of more fundamental Jumbo may be in my future. But, dang, I love what he does with Brazilian. We'll have to see. I'm glad you're enjoying your Jumbo.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

FYI, Nick’s OMC model is 15-5/8” at the lower bout and not 16”. He enlarged an OM (15”) to the add body volume lost to the cutaway. He also added 1/8” to the body depth over an OM. So the lower bout is similar to a Dreadnought in width with a narrower waste like an OM and less end block depth (4-1/4” vs. 4-7/8”).

Quote:
Ha, in fact, I had just read the FBJ article and scoured every shop I could think of to find a used non-cutaway Jumbo. I’ve always wanted one as I learned blues guitar through Stefan Grossman’s CDs and DVDs. I think I own maybe 60! I bought a Martin HJ-38 SG but the dreadnaught depth was too muddy for me. I think Nick’s Jumbo would be perfect, although I remembered iim7V7IM7 has a 16” OM which made me re-read this thread.

Jeanne tells me Nick is still working on relocating and fixing up his shop a bit, but he's getting my D-28 next month for its 44-year-old tuneup. My 1989 OM-5 and my 1980 OM-28 remain forever guitars...and I'm a mahogany guy (though I'm forever set with my vintage Martins) but I think a Mahogany, Koa, Maple, or some sort of more fundamental Jumbo may be in my future. But, dang, I love what he does with Brazilian. We'll have to see. I'm glad you're enjoying your Jumbo.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:

My years of Stefan Grossman books, tapes, cds and DVD lessons were also behind my wish for a Franklin Jumbo. While you are looking for a Jumbo, I am playing catch up with you: I am on Nick's build list for an OM (Brazilian/German Spruce) which was supposed to get started last fall/winter but the unexpected move of his shop put a kink in his schedule. So now he'll get started on my build once he's all set up in his new location. (Build thread to come!)

Quote:
Thanks for both the update on your guitar and for the link to the FJ article on Nick. My Franklin OMC gets better and better (it is 3-1/2 years old now) . I owe him a call but with the nocturnal hours that he keeps, it is hard to stay in touch?
It is a funny experience arranging a call with Nick. Between his nocturnal schedule and the time difference, he's either about to go to sleep when I am just getting up, or he's starting work as I am winding down for the day.
His guitars do just seem to get better and better as they age!

Last edited by mhw48; 01-22-2023 at 02:15 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop