The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 04:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
That build for Dustin sounds like it is going to be very special! How far are you from Burlington?
Thanks mikealpine, I’m about 45 minutes from Burlington and the airport there.

m

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 06-17-2022, 07:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'm sure everyone here knows all about that feeling of having accomplished something great. You know, like you fall in love with the guitar, and you practice and practice, you work through the pain, you devote your heart and soul to it... And then suddenly, one day, you're sitting on a park bench playing a tune, and some people gather around to listen... And they clap when you finish the tune with a nice little flourish, and they thank you and put some dollar bills in your hat, even though you weren't officially busking... And you suddenly realize that, hey, you've gotten pretty good at playing the guitar! How proud you feel, that you stuck with it, and the rewards are now flowing to you. What a great feeling!

And then you see someone like Calum Graham, or Dustin Furlow, or Karlijn Langendijk, or Luca Stricagnoli, absolutely SLAYING on their guitar with supernatural skill and astonishingly musical verve that just about makes your heart jump out of your mouth!
And you think, "I could live twenty more lifetimes and not get that good"...

Well, that's the way I feel when I look at the work of some other luthiers that I admire and respect. People like our friend Mr. Hatcher, for instance.
I love the craft of lutherie almost more than anything else; and I'm almost into my 23rd year of making guitars. I've worked through the pain, I've made my fingers bleed sometimes, I've invested my heart and soul into it, I've given it my all... And loved every minute... And yeah, I think I've gotten pretty good at making guitars.

But then, I tune in to the Forum here, and take a look at what Mark is doing, and I'm served a slice of humble pie that's bigger than my head! I think could live twenty more lifetimes and not get that good! He's an alchemist! I wonder, is he even human.

But the most wonderful thing about all this is, just like the experience of watching and hearing someone play a guitar in such a way that you experience a thrill of beauty and amazement that washes over you like a tsunami, I look at Mark's guitars, and come away NOT frustrated, NOT making bitter wine out of sour grapes, but celebrating the gift of inspiration he's bestowed upon me.

Thanks for being alive on Earth, and doing what you do, Mark.
Old 06-17-2022, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Thanks mikealpine, I’m about 45 minutes from Burlington and the airport there.

m
Headed to Plattsburgh in a few weeks. Unfortunately it’ll be too short a trip to visit Burlington, but I will get there at some point.

The guitars you are building are really stunning, Mark.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-18-2022, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
I'm sure everyone here knows all about that feeling of having accomplished something great. You know, like you fall in love with the guitar, and you practice and practice, you work through the pain, you devote your heart and soul to it... And then suddenly, one day, you're sitting on a park bench playing a tune, and some people gather around to listen... And they clap when you finish the tune with a nice little flourish, and they thank you and put some dollar bills in your hat, even though you weren't officially busking... And you suddenly realize that, hey, you've gotten pretty good at playing the guitar! How proud you feel, that you stuck with it, and the rewards are now flowing to you. What a great feeling!

And then you see someone like Calum Graham, or Dustin Furlow, or Karlijn Langendijk, or Luca Stricagnoli, absolutely SLAYING on their guitar with supernatural skill and astonishingly musical verve that just about makes your heart jump out of your mouth!

Well, that's the way I feel when I look at the work of some other luthiers that I admire and respect. People like our friend Mr. Hatcher, for instance.
I love the craft of lutherie almost more than anything else; and I'm almost into my 23rd year of making guitars. I've worked through the pain, I've made my fingers bleed sometimes, I've invested my heart and soul into it, I've given it my all... And loved every minute... And yeah, I think I've gotten pretty good at making guitars.

But then, I tune in to the Forum here, and take a look at what Mark is doing, and I'm served a slice of humble pie that's bigger than my head! I think could live twenty more lifetimes and not get that good! He's an alchemist! I wonder, is he even human.

But the most wonderful thing about all this is, just like the experience of watching and hearing someone play a guitar in such a way that you experience a thrill of beauty and amazement that washes over you like a tsunami, I look at Mark's guitars, and come away NOT frustrated, NOT making bitter wine out of sour grapes, but celebrating the gift of inspiration he's bestowed upon me.

Wow. Now that's the sort of compliment it would take me twenty lifetimes to compose. Well said, Steve
Old 06-18-2022, 04:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
Wow. Now that's the sort of compliment it would take me twenty lifetimes to compose. Well said, Steve
Thanks for that Steve! It’s my pleasure to get to do the work I do. We put so much of ourselves into the guitars we make that other’s work naturally appears unfamiliar. The world of steel string guitars is still wide open and we are very free to express ourselves and if we’re fortunate we are rewarded with being able to make a living doing what we love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Headed to Plattsburgh in a few weeks. Unfortunately it’ll be too short a trip to visit Burlington, but I will get there at some point.

The guitars you are building are really stunning, Mark.
Thanks Mike, I’ll be here!

Steven Wright
Old 06-25-2022, 10:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Final Shots

I did the final set up on this Piña parlor. Figured necks take a little longer to settle. I cut and set up the final nut and saddle and am very happy with the overall look, particularly with the headstock:

The Bocote fretboard and truss rod cover and the nut combine for a real meaty look:

The saddle is all ready to go with a low set up as requested:

Dustin Furlow was up to my studio for a few days to spec out his upcoming build and he did a few sound samples for this guitar which I’ll put up when he has them together.

Thanks for following this build!

m

Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 06-25-2022 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

That headstock looks great for sure.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Smile ..younger sister hatched !

Very nice ! .. the new tuners also .. by looks at least, also the design of the shaft (?) that winds the strings makes so much sense to keep the windings together and not meandering along the axis ..

..and I am looking forward to Mr. Furlowe‘s take on the sound of this baby.. (and his playing of course)
..if he ever comes to Bavaria I offer its baked maple older sister for a spin ... more matured and with a spruce top. Such a marvel ;o)
Old 06-25-2022, 11:45 AM

Looks great, Jeff is gonna love it I am sure. Dustin will do it justice, of that I am sure also.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Stunning pics! Excited to see this beauty in person!! Really like the nut and saddle of mammoth ivory…what a work of art…!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 06-25-2022, 01:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Thanks John!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
Very nice ! .. the new tuners also .. by looks at least, also the design of the shaft (?) that winds the strings makes so much sense to keep the windings together and not meandering along the axis ..

..and I am looking forward to Mr. Furlowe‘s take on the sound of this baby.. (and his playing of course)
..if he ever comes to Bavaria I offer its baked maple older sister for a spin ... more matured and with a spruce top. Such a marvel ;o)
Thanks Lonzo, I can tell you those Schellers are not just good looks! They are smooth as can be but, the real surprise is when you reverse the direction of the button when tuning there is no waiting for the tuner to engage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Looks great, Jeff is gonna love it I am sure. Dustin will do it justice, of that I am sure also.
It's a pleasure to hear Dustin playing my guitars. If I do say so myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
Stunning pics! Excited to see this beauty in person!! Really like the nut and saddle of mammoth ivory…what a work of art…!
It came together really well and plays wonderfully. We made a nice guitar.

m

Steven Wright
Old 06-25-2022, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

This one really recalibrated my mind to what a guitar this size is capable of, fantastic work Mark and I'm super glad I got the chance to play it before it shipped out. I'll have those videos sent over shortly. Here's some shots from behind my lens
Thanks again for you and Karen's warm hospitality, I'm already craving that Vermont breakfast skillet again, gonna be a long 3-4 months until the next visit!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 06-25-2022, 08:51 PM

Default All that jewellery !!!

My Oh My - this is one of those guitars that you could spend the whole day just looking at.. So many awesome details!! Even the case matches the guitar.

Everything in that headstock is perfect for the overall slightly darker vibe of this guitar - gold looks awesome in this setting. Everything on this guitar celebrates the variety of timbers still available to luthiers - who needs an ebony fingerboard when you have this instead?.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
I think it might have a familiar aspect to it for you.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
This one really recalibrated my mind to what a guitar this size is capable of, fantastic work Mark and I'm super glad I got the chance to play it before it shipped out. I'll have those videos sent over shortly. Here's some shots from behind my lens
Thanks again for you and Karen's warm hospitality, I'm already craving that Vermont breakfast skillet again, gonna be a long 3-4 months until the next visit!

It was our pleasure to have you up! I look forward to starting up on your new guitar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvdb View Post
My Oh My - this is one of those guitars that you could spend the whole day just looking at.. So many awesome details!! Even the case matches the guitar.

Everything in that headstock is perfect for the overall slightly darker vibe of this guitar - gold looks awesome in this setting. Everything on this guitar celebrates the variety of timbers still available to luthiers - who needs an ebony fingerboard when you have this instead?.
Thanks paulvdb! That Bocote does make a great looking fretboard doesn’t it? Thank you for your kind comments.

m

Steven Wright
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop