The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-14-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Scott, they're both Good! The Trance Amulet M-VT takes care of plug-and-play, and the Dazzo needs an outboard preamp. If you've got a good preamp, and you have the Felix, the Dazzo should very well do-ya-for. Caveat: I like the Trance, Dazzo, and the Taylor ES2. Strangely, the LR Baggs Element VTC in my Emerald X-20 sounds good when routed through an LR Baggs Acoustic Session DI. Then there's also the ToneDexter to consider bringing into the mix ...
Thanks! I tend to hear a more mic-like quality from Dazzo videos and more of a piezo edge to the Amulet. I strum quite a bit and when I did have the Amulet in, it definitely sounded like a piezo. Either way, I will be blending in a bit of TD or maybe even Voiceprint so any of that piezo tone can be easily dialed out.

I definitely do like the installation method of the Amulet a bit more and it was very "plug and play". I just ran out of red tape so I need to get more. The last batch I had, I had a very difficult time separating the red covering from the adhesive. I mean, it was next to impossible at times.

One strange issue I had with the Amulet is that the output jack would never hold my cable securely. It always wanted to push it out a bit and during shows, the cable sometimes would pop right out. Not sure what was causing that issue.

This time, I definitely want to play with the trim control. I never did that and I really do wonder if maybe that was part of the reason why my guitar was sounding so hi-fi and treble heavy.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Scott, they're both Good! The Trance Amulet M-VT takes care of plug-and-play, and the Dazzo needs an outboard preamp. If you've got a good preamp, and you have the Felix, the Dazzo should very well do-ya-for. Caveat: I like the Trance, Dazzo, and the Taylor ES2. Strangely, the LR Baggs Element VTC in my Emerald X-20 sounds good when routed through an LR Baggs Acoustic Session DI. Then there's also the ToneDexter to consider bringing into the mix ...
The Dazzo can also be installed with a onboard preboard amp just like the Trance Amulet. I chose to go with an external preamp route as I wanted as little as possible in the guitar. Sunnaudio has multiple products that they say works well with the Dazzo pickups for installation inside the guitar. https://sunnaudio.com/products
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 03-14-2021, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

SunnAudio and Dazzo work closely together, FYI. SunnAudio input maximized for Dazzos, though they work with most any passive pickup.I can't imagine anyone playing at less than drummer in the band loudness not being happy with the combination.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-14-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
SunnAudio and Dazzo work closely together, FYI. SunnAudio input maximized for Dazzos, though they work with most any passive pickup.I can't imagine anyone playing at less than drummer in the band loudness not being happy with the combination.
I have always wondered how the Dazzo compares to the Amulet in terms of feedback rejection. When I had the Amulet, I had no worries about feedback, even with a drummer. That actually surprised me. Even my K&K equipped Larrivee can be a nightmare on a loud stage.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Shshshsh! Don’t say that. Now everybody will want one. 😉

There are so many ways to skin a catfish. I tried many of those over the years. I have found great results in many of my pickup and preamp combos I have tried, and I have found not so good ways to get that catfish skinned. When I happen to give this guy in Sunnyvale a try I never wanted to try anything else. I want easy, effective and be able to spend more time playing than fiddling with knobs. Sure, IRs are good. I am not knocking them. It is just not necessary with the natural tone and great tone shaping ability of the Sunnaudio, it’s really excellent.

I am glad that you like it. Teddy is just one guy still making pickups by hand and tries his best to make sure you are satisfied with the results. He could use a steady stream of orders. He is truly the little guy with a big heart.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 03-18-2021, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Vancebo, you've long since surpassed me in the Dazzo/ Sunnaudio fanboy sweepstakes. I remain humbled in your presence.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-19-2021, 07:35 AM

Br1ck & Vancebo, just wondering what type of music you both play and the types of venues you gig at? Your love for the Dazzo is something I envy, but I don't think enough of us actually describe how/where we play live in order to get a good sense of how the pickup will work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification