The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-09-2021, 07:20 PM

Smile Artec / GFS Piezos & Preamps

Hey good folks!
Has anyone used some of those Artec (or rebranded GFS) UST's like these?

http://www.artecsound.com/acou/piezo.htm

Thinking of maybe also buying one of these with the mic.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-EAP...em_p_6417.html

Really hard to find any decent audio or video on them.

Generally wondering how the harder "stick" type piezos compare with the flexible braided Fishman sonitone type in terms of quack? I know this depends on preamps, playing force and input impedance, but just in general.

I currently use for 2-4 solo gigs a week a JJB 330 (like K&K) running through a cheap Fishman 301 mic side mount preamp that sounds great but lacks in that punch, touch sensitivity and attack that a piezo gives, especially if everyone is dancing and singing along.

Cheers
Old 03-10-2021, 10:21 PM

Gotta be someone haha?
Old 03-11-2021, 02:15 AM

Hey activateclint,

I have installed and tried both the 'SolidFlex' and the 'PC85' braided Coax. The PC85 definitely sounded better though both have a fair amount of quack.

I actually took the Solidflex out in favour of the PC85 because even with a 5 band EQ preamp, i used the Headway EDB-2, i couldn't get near a natural sound.
With the PC85 cable installed i was able to get a usable sound but still not great compared to other pickup's available.

I don't know what the cost works out for you but the cost of the Artec PC85 plus the EPP Preamp Endpin is not fair off a used Baggs M1 or a used Fishaman Rare Earth single coil. They are both much better pickups even before you add EQ ect and i would think they would both give you 'punch'

If it's going to be an Artec, i'd suggest the PC85 but be aware of the quack.
Fylde Falstaff- Sitka/ Rio Rosewood
Maestro 00-IR- Adi/ Rosewood
Yamaha LL-16D- Spruce/ Rosewood in Black
David Oddy Mandocello- Sitka/ Indian Rosewood
G7th Capos and Elixir Nanoweb PB 13-56
Old 03-11-2021, 06:39 AM

The often discussed dreaded "piezo quack" comes up very frequently. Once again, this is most often caused by an impedance mis-match between the high output impedance of all piezoelectric pickups (megohm or million ohm range) and the low input impedance of many PA's and amps (kilohm or thousand ohm range).

UST's in general are more susceptible to quack than SBT's as UST's are always under strain by the downward force of the saddle.

The first thing to do in addressing quack is to ensure you're either plugged in to a HI Z input or use an impedance matching DI or preamp.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
The often discussed dreaded "piezo quack" comes up very frequently. Once again, this is most often caused by an impedance mis-match between the high output impedance of all piezoelectric pickups (megohm or million ohm range) and the low input impedance of many PA's and amps (kilohm or thousand ohm range).

UST's in general are more susceptible to quack than SBT's as UST's are always under strain by the downward force of the saddle.

The first thing to do in addressing quack is to ensure you're either plugged in to a HI Z input or use an impedance matching DI or preamp.
Even running it through a Dtar Solstice with 10Meg Ohms on the 1/4 input, still quacked more than most.
Fylde Falstaff- Sitka/ Rio Rosewood
Maestro 00-IR- Adi/ Rosewood
Yamaha LL-16D- Spruce/ Rosewood in Black
David Oddy Mandocello- Sitka/ Indian Rosewood
G7th Capos and Elixir Nanoweb PB 13-56
Old 03-14-2021, 11:52 PM

Ah thanks for the reply's . I knew there would be somebody out there
Ive actually had a Baggs M1A (was quite good) and a Stagepro anthem with both trumic and Element that was both boomy and bright while lacking any midrange clarity, despite being on the 000 sigma spruce / rosewood. Was less quack for sure but nothing against the $20 Chinese fishman 301 TBH. Im thinking of adding a 2.5mm jack to it on the spare guitar and getting a bunch of different piezos to swap around on it to see how it goes.
Anyhow looks like I won't bother with that route on the main guitar and stick to what I got and some EQing, compression maybe!
Thanks all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
artec, gfs, piezo, piezos, quack