The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-12-2021, 06:56 AM

My current battery solution is modified sine wave inverter integrated with a lithium battery (160 watt-hour). I also have an inexpensive power meter to see what my gear requires.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We have played 3 set gigs with no issues. I also have a pure sine wave inverter which I could connect to an external battery but have not used lately. Over the years I've had both PSW and MSW power sources and never had any piece of gear give me trouble with either.

One thing to keep in mind, a decent mixer with it's collection of class-A preamps and linear power supply will likely draw more power than a blasting class-D switching PA speaker. When we play live on battery power, I use the back panel of my QSC CP-8 to do all our mixing.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-13-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
My current battery solution is modified sine wave inverter integrated with a lithium battery (160 watt-hour). I also have an inexpensive power meter to see what my gear requires.

We have played 3 set gigs with no issues. I also have a pure sine wave inverter which I could connect to an external battery but have not used lately. Over the years I've had both PSW and MSW power sources and never had any piece of gear give me trouble with either.

One thing to keep in mind, a decent mixer with its collection of class-A preamps and linear power supply will probably draw more power than a blasting class-D switching PA speaker. When we play live on battery power, I use the back panel of my QSC CP-8 to do all our mixing.
It's funny, I have a power meter and the watts don't even come close to the to the rating of my PA Speaker... Its 1000 watts continues 2000 w peak and supposedly draws 800watts and I think when I checked last summer, my Peavey Small mixer with one mic plugged in and guitar through this speaker only ran about 56 watts at a level that was loud enough that they heard me in the house from the garage...

Interesting how they calculate the numbers.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:28 AM

I went through this same agony a few years ago.

A portable generator took out my Mini.

Fishman replaced the Mini ( out of warranty ) for $50 + shipping.

I bought the Mini Charge, problem solved.

Now I have both.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 03-13-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
I went through this same agony a few years ago.

A portable generator took out my Mini.

Fishman replaced the Mini ( out of warranty ) for $50 + shipping.

I bought the Mini Charge, problem solved.

Now I have both.
That sounds like a sound idea
Old 03-13-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
It's funny, I have a power meter and the watts don't even come close to the to the rating of my PA Speaker... Its 1000 watts continues 2000 w peak and supposedly draws 800watts and I think when I checked last summer, my Peavey Small mixer with one mic plugged in and guitar through this speaker only ran about 56 watts at a level that was loud enough that they heard me in the house from the garage...

Interesting how they calculate the numbers.
I've made this comment more than once... There are several layers of BS in power ratings. You need ~10x the continuous power for peaks not to distort. 2000 watts peak is really only 200 watts continuous. Which is deafening and likely beyond the capacity of the woofer anyway.

Back in the olden days, an Easy Bake Oven got quite hot using a 60 watt incandescent light bulb. Speaker drivers are at best less than 10% efficient and a Class-D amp with all its digital overhead is also not 100% efficient either. 1000 watts continuous would be 900+ watts of heat with a few 10s of watts of sound; still quite loud. By the way that 60 watt light bulb at roughly 1% efficiency was still quite bright to look at.

That QSC rates the power consumption of their products at 1/8th power is a hint at the truth. For my CP8 that is 120 watts out of the wall socket.

There is no way any powered speaker you can buy will deliver 1000 watts continuous. That would be on the order of 15+ Easy Bake ovens in that plastic box with the small fan. It would melt the speaker voice coil pretty rapidly and if it didn't the plastic box would sag into a flattened mass.

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 03-13-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
There is no way any powered speaker you can buy will deliver 1000 watts continuous.
Exactly. You'll notice that you'll only find those ratings on relatively inexpensive PA systems. My first PA, which I bought used via Craigslist, was one of these:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gemini/...red-Speaker.gc

I needed something quickly and I didn't have time to do my research. It worked, and served my immediate purpose, but the included mic and cable were pretty much useless. The cable was prone to 60Hz hum. Fortunately I had a better mic and cable. BTW, this is rated 1000/2000 watts, which is nonsense. Fortunately I was able to sell it for what I paid for it.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-14-2021, 03:04 PM

Got a question... I've got these lead batteries that came out of a pak for a medical chair.. 4- 6v 5ah they were hooked up for 24v but I would use only two to get 12v and use an inverter

so hooking up two 6v 5ah batteries for 12v how many Amp-hours would I have?
I'm thinking it's not as simple as it seems
Old 03-14-2021, 04:44 PM

5 A-H if connected in series for 12 volts.

Jon Fields
Old 03-14-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
5 A-H if connected in series for 12 volts.
Thanks!...I was thinking that but wanted to make sure

Last edited by CASD57; 03-14-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Thanks!...I was thinking that but wanted to make sure
If you hook that serial pair in parallel with the other two (also connected in series), you'll have 10 Amp/hr.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification