The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-01-2021, 10:39 AM

Default Am I wasting time and money looking for anything other than a Loudbox Mini?

I play 98% fingerstyle to no one other than myself....and occasionally my wife and kids only because they happened to be in the same room where I was noodling.

I will not be gigging or singing or needing any wazoo inputs or outputs. I have only ever played through a loudbox mini and was very impressed but I also have nothing to compare it too so I would likely be impressed by any amp without a side by side comparison. I could get a LBX mini used in like new condition for $225ish if I am patient.

I have youtubed myself to death trying to find comparison videos and it has done nothing but muddy the waters. Playing different amps side by side in the current paradigm of life is next to impossible. I was looking at Boss Singer, Marshall AS50D, Laney A1, and Fender Acoustic 100 (I like all the effects options) for a similar price point but it was mainly to be ‘different’ I guess. Those I would likely pay the $350-$400 full pop.

One more bit of rambling....aesthetics. My wife is heavy into interior design. Took a lot of convincing to get a couple of my guitars displayed in the home. So I think she would much prefer the Fender Acoustic 100 as an actual design element over any of the others since it will be displayed in the living room.

So, For a recluse player simply looking to entertain himself with some minor effects and good tone; Will the acoustic 100 do it for me? Or am I just overpaying for something barely equal too or maybe not even equal to the Loudbox mini?
Old 03-01-2021, 12:09 PM

I have a little bit older Acoustasonic Jr. It's not like the new ones visually, but it sounds good in the setting you describe, I can't imaginge the new ones would be a step back sound wise.

I have a LoudBox Artist, which honestly, to me, sounds about as good as it ever needs to. I prefer the artist over the mini simply due to a better EQ and external DI options. (I do use it for performance purposes)

I think your at a dice roll for either one of thse. For your intended use, I'm sure they'd both work. The Fender does look more "fitting" to be sitting in ones parlor.

On a different track entirely, have you ever thought about a Tonewood Amp instead of a traditional "acoustic" guitar amplifier.

https://www.tonewoodamp.com/

I have one and I have x braces in three of my steel strings. It does a really nice job as "personal amplification" Takes noodling to a whole new level actually. Takes a little bit of time to sort out the right settings for each guitar you'll use it in. but it isn't hard to sort out
Old 03-01-2021, 12:11 PM

As the owner of the Boss ASL, I would say if you don’t need all the bells and whistles on something like that, the Fishman LBX-M will keep you happy for a long time. Reverb and Chorus offer plenty.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

I've only played an Acoustic 100 at some guitar store, but it sounded great, has more than enough sound-shaping for your needs, and gets super reviews. It is without a doubt much more handsome than the Loudbox Mini. I'd wager that one reason I haven't seen the Fender reviewed much here is the beautiful cabinet, which for most gigging musicians is something they wouldn't want to get dinged in your typical bar/restaurant environment. In contrast, the Fishmans can take at least a little abuse with the vinyl-y Tolex.

If I were married to a design-sensitive wife and not planning to lug my new amp out to beer-bottle central, I know what I'd do!
Old 03-01-2021, 02:26 PM

I love the sound of my Loudbox Mini. Haven't found anything better yet. And it's plenty amp for a coffeehouse gig should you ever decide to do that. Plus it's small enough to hide in a closet.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:22 PM

Default Beware...

Most Fender acoustic amps I've seen don't have a tweeter, but just a single full-range speaker. I would never settle for that in an audio speaker that I'd use to listen to acoustic guitar records, so why would I choose one to play through? Humbly asked by a happy Boss Acoustic Singer user.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 03-01-2021, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
Most Fender acoustic amps I've seen don't have a tweeter, but just a single full-range speaker. I would never settle for that in an audio speaker that I'd use to listen to acoustic guitar records, so why would I choose one to play through? Humbly asked by a happy Boss Acoustic Singer user.
This piqued my curiosity so I checked. The Acoustic 100 has a single 8-inch speaker with a whizzer cone. Not knowing what that is, other than something possibly indecent, Sweetwater has this:

A small supplementary cone attached to the voice coil of a speaker for the purpose of producing and radiating high frequency content more effectively than the larger speaker cone. A whizzer cone is attached to the voice coil in the same place as the speaker cone; however, where whizzer cones are used it is necessary for there to be some additional flexibility in the joint between the speaker cone in the voice coil. This allows the speaker cone to become somewhat decoupled from the higher frequency motion of the voice coil so it doesn’t dampen the voice coil from being able to move the whizzer cone at those higher rates. Whizzer cones have fallen out of popularity in the last couple of decades, mostly due to the added coloration of the signal produced by the necessary slop in the coupling between the speaker cone and voice coil.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:45 PM

Thank you all for the input. I just really like the look of the fender but agree with the single speaker aspect. I want use it also as a Bluetooth music house speaker occasionally as well since my boss sound dock died. I think the Fishman might be my best bet.... hopelessly undecided still :/
Old 03-01-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
This piqued my curiosity so I checked. The Acoustic 100 has a single 8-inch speaker with a whizzer cone. Not knowing what that is, other than something possibly indecent, Sweetwater has this:

Whizzer cone corporate tech speak .
Yeah....I too was looking to see whether this ‘whizzer cone’ holds a candle to having a separate tweeter like the Fishman. I guess the question is a six inch speaker with a separate tweeter considerably better, if at all, than an 8 inch with a whizzer cone ?
Old 03-01-2021, 07:39 PM

So just throw more into the mix....I have just discovered the Fender Acoustic Junior. Not nearly as good looking as the acoustic 100 but better looking than the Fishman IMO. Apparently this one has a separate tweeter and built in looper and variety of effects. So I might be checking into that one as well.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:59 PM

I gig with a Loudbox Mini. In my opinion it would be a waste of my time to look for anything else, so I don't look.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 03-01-2021, 10:14 PM

There are several small amps like the Fishman Loudbox mini that have similar or more features. I owned one of these LBMs and enjoyed it a lot. I've been through a number of amps since then. I can say that the LBM was as good as anything I've used for acoustic guitar.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:34 PM

If I was looking for something in the $300 range for personal listening I'd purchase a Cube Street. Acoustic guitars sound seriously rich and lush through the dual 6" drivers, really highlighting the stereo reverb and chorus effects.

The Cube Street has a angled wedge design and you can always make a light decorative cover to make it better fit into a decor.

My friend has a Fender Acoustasonic 100 and the wood cabinet isn't anything that would sway me because of it's beauty.

I loved my Cube Street when fed from a K&K Pure Mini transducer. I now have it's bigger and pricier big brother, the Cube EX. Dual 8" drivers and dual 2" tweeters, but certainly not necessary for home use. My Cube Street even got use as a small backyard mini-PA since it also has a separate mic channel if that's needed.

Since the sound is what you should really be concentrating on I'd recommend you go try one. It's an awesome "home amp", even if you have to disguise it.

The Loudbox Mini is a nice little amp, but look for something with TWO drivers and true stereo effects. You have TWO ears!
Old 03-02-2021, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

Ultrasound Acoustic Amplifiers still use 8-inch Whizzer-cone speakers and sound good! My American-made Ultrasound AG-30 sounds as good if not better than other acoustic amps I own or have owned.

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-02-2021 at 04:18 AM.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:02 AM

The older Acoustasonic Jr I have has a HF driver, and 2 8" speakers. Mine is an early 2000s model. Probably from 2003/2004? I'd run the serial number if I had it here to see. It's a pretty good sounding amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification