The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-22-2021, 03:18 PM

Default Practice aid and using steel string guitar

I've been practicing classical guitar with an instructor, but also practicing other genres with the same instructor. I've been playing the guitar for a little a year, but have been playing some classical for 4 months.

Should I invest in a classical guitar to help the learning process? I've been using a steel string guitar where I could see how the wider string spacing and nylon string could help. I already can do a decent Travis picking on a steel string guitar.However I'm not not dedicated to any specific genre in my learning.

I ran across this practice aid called practice-right. Is this a worthwhile training aid to use? http://practice-right.com/practice-right/
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 07-22-2021, 03:37 PM

Years ago I studied with a classical instructor but refused to buy a nylon string guitar (for various reasons). Fast forward a few decades and I still love steel string but also love classical; it’s an entirely different beast even though some skills transfer. If you’re serious at all about a classical repertoire you’ll be far better off with a ‘real’ classical guitar (not a crossover). With respect to the wrist muzzle … it’s based on the premise that there’s a single ‘best’ position for all players regardless of anatomical or physiological differences. I’d argue that’s a flawed assumption. Let your instructor and your sound be your guide there.
My two cents …
Cordoba C-10
Martin 000-15
... and a few others ...
Old 07-24-2021, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

I my opinion if you think you will stick with the classical lessons and if you want to learn pieces from the classical guitar repertoire it's likely worth buying a classical guitar (a decent one with good tone and sustain). Otherwise you will never know what could have been.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-26-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
if you want to learn pieces from the classical guitar repertoire it's likely worth buying a classical guitar (a decent one with good tone and sustain).
What would consider a decent classical guitar that I won't outgrow too quickly.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 07-27-2021, 02:02 AM

Default First Classical Guitar...? Which One...?

Not knowing how much you care to put out for a classical guitar. I might suggest first walking into a shop that has a good selection. Sit down and play a few pieces on various guitars.

If you are looking for a total solid wood... back, sides and soundboard, be prepared to spend over a grand. Now that said, there are some laminated back, side and solid top axes that sound good and are affordable, that you can start off with and won't put you in the poorhouse. Than if after a year you really like playing classical guitar, and you can afford it, go for a true solid body. I would suggest trying to stay away from the "cross over" breeds. That is just my personal opinion. I have a parlor sized solid body that has nice tone and projection, but the one difference between that and my more standard scale (650mm with 52mm nut) is tripping over the adjacent string (upper or lower) when doing cross over / finger walking.

I love my Cordoba C10 Parlor for putzing around, cost just a little over a grand... is total solid wood top, bottom and sides and ebony fret-board. But it's nowhere near as sweet as my Burguet Studio full scale when it comes to serious playing... again just my opinion... not knocking Cordoba.. I'm sure their full scale "true Spanish" classical's are nice too.

So... nuff said... get to a shop, pull as many guitars off the wall as they have, sit down and play them... I'm sure one will sound just right (what some call a Goldilocks moment).

Best of luck
Old 07-27-2021, 10:24 AM

I was perusing the Cordoba C10 and C9 online. I found a used C9 in mint condition for around $600. Looks like the major difference between C9 and C10 is the back and side tonewoods, Mahogany vs rosewood but both are solid woods.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 07-27-2021, 11:01 AM

If you haven't spent time with a nylon string, how are you supposed to know what feels and plays good? I say consult your teacher. I'm sure he can give you some guidance as to where and what to look for.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
Not knowing how much you care to put out for a classical guitar. I might suggest first walking into a shop that has a good selection. Sit down and play a few pieces on various guitars.

If you are looking for a total solid wood... back, sides and soundboard, be prepared to spend over a grand. Now that said, there are some laminated back, side and solid top axes that sound good and are affordable, that you can start off with and won't put you in the poorhouse. Than if after a year you really like playing classical guitar, and you can afford it, go for a true solid body. I would suggest trying to stay away from the "cross over" breeds. That is just my personal opinion. I have a parlor sized solid body that has nice tone and projection, but the one difference between that and my more standard scale (650mm with 52mm nut) is tripping over the adjacent string (upper or lower) when doing cross over / finger walking.

I love my Cordoba C10 Parlor for putzing around, cost just a little over a grand... is total solid wood top, bottom and sides and ebony fret-board. But it's nowhere near as sweet as my Burguet Studio full scale when it comes to serious playing... again just my opinion... not knocking Cordoba.. I'm sure their full scale "true Spanish" classical's are nice too.

So... nuff said... get to a shop, pull as many guitars off the wall as they have, sit down and play them... I'm sure one will sound just right (what some call a Goldilocks moment).

Best of luck
I was seriously considering the C9 or the C10 especially since I had rewards $ from MF to use, but I found a used 2016 Amalio Burguet Vanessa in very good condition with a hard case for $600 including shipping. I figure this would be a fine inexpensive classical guitar to start out with. I understand these guitars to be handmade in Spain and have a very good reputation. This is a solid woods cedar top with Indian Rosewood back and sides.

Any advice on strings?
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488

Last edited by tbirdman; 08-06-2021 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
I was seriously considering the C9 or the C10 especially since I had rewards $ from MF to use, but I found a used 2016 Amalio Burguet Vanessa in very good condition with a hard case for $600 including shipping. I figure this would be a fine inexpensive classical guitar to start out with. I understand these guitars to be handmade in Spain and have a very good reputation. This is a solid woods cedar top with Indian Rosewood back and sides.

Any advice on strings?
My Burguet sounds great with RC Recital or Ramirez (Both Medium tension) but another set that sounds good with much lower tension overall is the Augustine Black basses with either classic or Imperial trebles (I prefer the higher tension Imperials)

Enjoy the guitar :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 08-08-2021, 10:59 AM
Guest 928

I think an inexpensive Yamaha would give you a shot at what it's like to play a classical guitar. And then you might move along to more esteemed instruments.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I think an inexpensive Yamaha would give you a shot at what it's like to play a classical guitar. And then you might move along to more esteemed instruments.
For what I paid for this used 2016 Amalio Burguet Vanessa, it wasn't much more in my perspective than a beginner's inexpensive classical Yamaha plus it has a nice hard case. Much cheaper than a couple of the other guitars I already own by a long shot.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical