The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-01-2019, 04:41 PM

I really enjoyed that!
Old 12-01-2019, 05:43 PM

Thanks ShredShed!

Err, I should explain what I did for those that are interested.......

For starters, I tune the old girl down and capo up and play around a C country blues formation ala Frank stokes/John Hurt/ many, many others - with a standard C chord with the pinky added on the 1st string/3rd fret. I play the loose 'theme' fairly well the same every time but the rest is improvised as I go but based on a fairly standard old progression. The fun part is playing over the IV chord with a 'thumb over F shape' differently each pass! (added notes and bends etc).

I played bare fingered fingerstyle (damped to stop everything ringing out too much), with my right hand and using just my right thumb and index fingers with a flick from my middle occasionally. Lead runs are played with the the thumb down and index up imitating a pick. Any chord 'flicks' are with my the top of my index nail facing down.

When I pressed record, I had a loose idea of what I intended to play but nothing really set in concrete - I can play medleys of this stuff and go on and on.....

How's that?

BluesKing777.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for that explanation, BK. Very interesting to me.

After being dependent on tabs for a few years now I'm looking to break out a bit, and not burn up so many brain cells with memorization and having to be "perfect," so your comments are timely.

Your explanation reminds me of the old phrase "easier said than done," but I aim to keep trying

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell