The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:19 PM

I got to see the design for the back of the guitar when I visited. Very intricate work.
1991 Fender American Std. Stratocaster: Keystone single coils and updated controls/wiring
Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpp View Post
I got to see the design for the back of the guitar when I visited. Very intricate work.

As is the B/S material. Truly an amazing work of art. I would be surprised if it ends up in a museum or something one day.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
I thought about the Cathedral and the Mission. If I went for a Cathedral I would have went with a Redwood top, however I'm so in love with my Olson that I would have found them to both compete for my time in that "darker wood" space. I like a big sound from my guitars so I opted for an NGS with all the bells and whistles, but it was not an easy choice!
Well, I think you know what I think of Braz/Redwood Cathedrals. I'm probably going to use Redwood on the Mission as well. I think Braz/Euro Spruce is a really nice combo for a Nightingale ... I fell in love with it all over again tonight.

As for being afraid to taking it out of the case, Eugenius, I bet Commando will have a hard time resisting the urgent call of the guitar and won't think about leaving it in the case much.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiesorg View Post
As for being afraid to taking it out of the case, Eugenius, I bet Commando will have a hard time resisting the urgent call of the guitar and won't think about leaving it in the case much.
I agree completely. It's like mother nature....when she calls, you gotta answer . (and braz/german is very persuasive)
Old 10-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely stunning stuff that Kevin makes. I'm so jealous! Would love to own one of his guitars someday--hell, I'd even like to just PLAY one sometime. Congrats on your build--that is going to be one insanely beautiful guitar.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:09 PM

Soon the question will be which Ryan will you play ... it's a nice "problem" to have.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:08 AM

So I got a question about your Ryan Nightingale. How would you compare it to your Doerr Solace? They seem very similar in body size/shape. Does the Ryan or Doerr favor certain frequencies over another?
Omega Legacy MJ02 (#116) in Birdseye Maple & Bearclaw Sitka
Tom Anderson Cobra in Flame Maple on Mahogany
Old 10-17-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akivisuals View Post
So I got a question about your Ryan Nightingale. How would you compare it to your Doerr Solace? They seem very similar in body size/shape. Does the Ryan or Doerr favor certain frequencies over another?

Ryan = with the deeper box size, notes are fatter and fuller, it sounds a tad louder and a tad darker and a bit more fundamental (still has nice overtones)

Doerr = with Italian spruce it sounds a tad brighter and a little more overtones (but definately less than a Goodall)
Old 10-17-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
Ryan = with the deeper box size, it sounds a tad louder and a tad darker and a bit more fundamental (still has nice overtones)

Doerr = with Italian spruce it sounds a tad brighter and a little more overtones (but definately less than a Goodall)

Yeah, my Goodall is just loaded with wonderful overtones. That Solace looks like a great instrument to play with the bevel and the wedge design. Does it feel much smaller than your Goodall standard? I've been GASsing for a Ryan or Doerr these past few months....
Omega Legacy MJ02 (#116) in Birdseye Maple & Bearclaw Sitka
Tom Anderson Cobra in Flame Maple on Mahogany
Old 10-17-2008, 01:23 PM

Here are some recent pictures of the build. Man this is pretty cool to see it coming together.....

(I'm glad that a pro is bending this Braz and not me!)

Old 10-17-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akivisuals View Post
Yeah, my Goodall is just loaded with wonderful overtones. That Solace looks like a great instrument to play with the bevel and the wedge design. Does it feel much smaller than your Goodall standard? I've been GASsing for a Ryan or Doerr these past few months....
Yes, my Solace feels MUCH smaller than my Goodall Standard. Between the bevel and the body wedge it is incredibly comfortable.

Both Ryans and Doerrs are awesome and it's hard to go wrong with either.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Just out of curiosity, what kinda stuff do you play on these beautiful instruments? To streamline my question a bit, what are some of the songs that you believe allow you to enjoy the sophisticated tone of these guitars?

To take myself as an example, my main axe is a Taylor GA (Sinker Redwood top/ Brazilian Rosewood b/s). Because the tone of that guitar is so dark with a ridiculous amount of sustain, I loooooove tuning it down and playing Ebon Coast (Mckee), "Layover" (Micheal Hedges) and "Moon River" on it in as well as my own material made in efforts to play to the strengths of the guitar.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
Just out of curiosity, what kinda stuff do you play on these beautiful instruments? To streamline my question a bit, what are some of the songs that you believe allow you to enjoy the sophisticated tone of these guitars?

To take myself as an example, my main axe is a Taylor GA (Sinker Redwood top/ Brazilian Rosewood b/s). Because the tone of that guitar is so dark with a ridiculous amount of sustain, I loooooove tuning it down and playing Ebon Coast (Mckee), "Layover" (Micheal Hedges) and "Moon River" on it in as well as my own material made in efforts to play to the strengths of the guitar.
We're supposed to play them??

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-17-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post

Hmmm...good question and honestly I haven't thought about pairing a particular song to a particular guitar since I just modify my playing style to adapt to each guitar. For instance, there are some of my guitars like the Ryan and Olson that while they can be played hard, I don't get the most out of them when the music is being "forced" out of them. They like me to lighten up a bit and let the music happen and this produces the most beautiful and complex tone out of them.

Not sure if it answers your question, but perhaps it gives some direction to the "style" of play required to get the most out of one of these guitars. Kathy Wingert once described a Ryan to a "Formula 1 Race Car" and that you really need to know what you are doing to get "the most" out of it.

That being said, even when you just "play it" it sounds better than most anything out there. It's just that handling it right unlocks all that additional "good stuff".

Perhaps some other Ryan owners can chime here with their perspectives as well.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:40 PM

I watched Kevin bend Brazilian sides for my first Cathedral ... while he was doing it I was so tense ... he, otoh, was so relaxed. He's had very few sides crack over the years.

As for getting the most from Ryans, I've also found that a light hand brings out the most ... strangely they seem to get more resonant the lighter you play. Other guitars seem to come alive the more you dig into them.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop