The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-07-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I bought my Gibson F9 mandolin about a dozen years ago. It took my five years to finally give up trying to flip it. I got the books, learned the chords, and still can’t pull off playing it well.

Nonetheless, it’s a keeper.
Why not do what the late Wrecking Crew multi-instrumentalist Tommy Tedesco did - put together a custom-gauge set, restring it in drop-G tenor uke (GCEA low to high) or "octave Chicago" (DGBE), and enjoy...
Old 10-19-2019, 10:40 AM

Thanks. I hadn’t considered that. After learning the proper chords and scales for Bluegrass, it would be an interesting switch.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:20 PM

Did you decide already which one to take ?
When you listen to records, which one do you like best ? Mandolin, mandola , octave mandolin, bouzouki, mandocello - they all have their very special magic. I would go for the one that touches you most.
I started with mandolin 30 years ago (guitar is still my main instrument) and added bouzouki, mandola, mandocello and octave mandolin later on - MAS ! I love them all, but when playing mandolin family instruments I would say that 80% mandolin, 15 % bouzouki/octave and 5 % mandola/ mandocello is the result.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 10-20-2019, 08:01 PM

I like the suggestion of listening to a lot of the music of any of the instruments that you are considering. Bought an instrument kind of on a whim because it sounded cool, but then got tired of playing it after a while, realized that the initial newness of the sound captivated me but after a bit didn't like it all that well. Now if I get the notion on picking up something different I listen to a bunch of youtube vids on it to make sure I don't tire of the sound easily.

Also, on mandolin, it would help to play a few, some have v necks, others have round necks, and the width of fretboard can vary. These things make a difference, even apart from the sound.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:00 AM

I've been playing mandolin for 40 yrs.
I recently bought a 50s Gibson
Tenor arch top. Very cool inst. Tuned
In "Irish tuning". It is basically a 4 string octave mandolin..
Old 11-18-2019, 07:27 AM

If you're getting a custom mandola made you could consider getting a 10 string one, an extra pair of B strings I think it was I had, which would give you those extra high notes without needing to travel so far up the neck.

I got one of these made about 25 years ago, sold it about 10 years ago and really really regret it now. It was a gorgeous instrument, and perfect for playing Irish tunes, which is my thing.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudchutney View Post
If you're getting a custom mandola made you could consider getting a 10 string one, an extra pair of B strings I think it was I had, which would give you those extra high notes without needing to travel so far up the neck.
Adding high B strings and tuning G-D-A-E-B is an utter waste of a mandola for two important reasons:

1. A standard tuned 'dola is tuned C-G-D-A, like a viola. The body sized and dimensions are optimized for that range. Cutting out the C wastes all that great low tone. If you don't want that deep sonorous mellow sound just get a mandolin.

2. Most 'dolas have a scale length around 16" or greater. Your E's have to be around .0095 or smaller or they'll snap. The B's would have to be around .006!

I have a sweet 16-1/2" 10 string mandola tuned C-G-D-A-E (and I need to use .0095 for those E's on this scale, .010 break after or during a serious gig or session). It covers the mandola and mandolin range, sounds and plays great. Don't be afraid of going up the neck - that's what its there for.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:02 PM

Ive been playing madolin for 40 yrs.
I would start there.. as stated above.
they are much easier to sell than
the other ones. Its been a few years since i was originally enamoured by
sarah jarosz and her archtop octave
mandolin. Not being able to afford
a quality archtop om like hers i
searched and found a tenor guitar archtop. made by gibson in the 50s.
with different strings i can tune it like
an om. My plan was to convert it
adding a new bridge and tailpeice.
but after playing it i decided i liked
the one course (4 strings not 4 pairs)
so now i play it like this. tuned as an octave mandolin. its tonal range is slightly above the guitar so it sits well in the mix.. its a 56 gibson tg-50. they can
be had in wonderful playable condition
for 1500. Mine plays beautifully. easy
like a tele...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments