The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-15-2023, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Default Solid Wood vs. Laminate

What has been your experience vis-a-vis solid wood vs. laminate bodies for archtop guitars, particularly played unplugged?
Martin: HD-35, M-36; Gibson: J-200 Rosewood Limited Edition; McIlroy: AD-30; Guild: Orpheum D 12-fret; Yamaha: NXT-1200R; Eastman: AR804CE (with floater), DM-1; HsianMo: Art Gallery SJ-200 (Euro Spruce with Sandalwood b/s (!); Journey Overhead OF660; Eastwood: MRG Studio Resonator; MRG Octave Mandolin; Gretsch: Country Gentleman '59 VSE; Gibson: CS ES-355; more electrics . . .
Old 05-15-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGetaway View Post
What has been your experience vis-a-vis solid wood vs. laminate bodies for archtop guitars, particularly played unplugged?
Great question! I know the trend leans toward solid wood vs. laminate, but I had this discussion with the man who made my custom archtop (Stephen Holst), and he indicated the laminate would actually produce a better sound and provide more structural stability to the guitar. We put a Swiss Spruce on top and a flamed maple (laminated) on the back and sides. Since we built it to my specs, it truly is my "perfect" guitar!

Old 05-16-2023, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
Great question! I know the trend leans toward solid wood vs. laminate, but I had this discussion with the man who made my custom archtop (Stephen Holst), and he indicated the laminate would actually produce a better sound and provide more structural stability to the guitar. We put a Swiss Spruce on top and a flamed maple (laminated) on the back and sides. Since we built it to my specs, it truly is my "perfect" guitar!

I have one of the first K200 archtops made by Stephen Holst! Still sounding great for an 18 year old guitar.

I've played a couple of laminate archtops that had a nice acoustic tone...a D'Aquisto (MIJ) and a Sadowsky Jim Hall. Having said that, I think builders chose a laminate construction to produce a more focused amplified sound while minimizing feedback.

Not all laminated plates are created equally. Builders like Roger Borys and Stephen Holst (as far as know) make their own plates and the end product is a thin, high quality plate that lends itself well to guitar making. In the case of Roger Borys, I read that he fashioned his lamination process after Jimmy D'Aquisto and that before his untimely death, D'Aquisto provided laminated tops and backs to a few other high end builders.

If playing unplugged, I think a good, solid wood acoustic guitar or acoustic archtop trumps a laminated equivalent any day of the week.

My 2 cents.
Old 05-16-2023, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Are you interested in completely acoustic, or archtops with built-in pickups?

My own experience is with acoustic archtops, primarily vintage Epiphones(1930's to early 1950's). The lower and mid-level intsruments all had solid, carved tops, solid bent sides(until about 1950), and laminated backs. The models with the laminated backs have a distinctive and appealing bark, different from their all solid brethren. I've owned quite a few(currently a '35 Epi Zenith, 14-1/2" wide), and it's a powerful, charming guitar. So, IME, from the right builder, laminated back, or b&s, can be excellent.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:42 PM

The low- to midline New York-era Epiphone archtops had solid (carved) tops/laminated backs (and sides post-1949 or so), and left nothing on the table tonally - and their all-laminated basses are still highly prized among savvy players for their tone...

Guild - whose early history is closely intertwined with Epiphone - produced many instruments with laminated sides/backs over the years, such that it's become almost a trademark...

Nearly all of Gretsch's post-1955 acoustic archtops were of totally-laminated construction and, thanks to the ultra-thin woods used, can sound quite good - lighter and airier than their erstwhile Gibson L-48 and Guild A-50 competitors, and the similarly-constructed (and unfortunately discontinued) Godin 5th Avenue acoustic is a cult favorite among many of us here on the Archtop subforum...

Back in the day when even the smallest neighborhood venue had live music several nights a week, and a player could earn a decent living combining teaching and club dates, savvy local semi-pros would buy a postwar 17" Gibson ES-150 (or the rival Epiphone Zephyr Regent) for its ability to serve as a true dual-duty instrument - and the best of those big laminated electric jazzboxes had unplugged tone/volume that could rival their carved-top L-7 and Triumph counterparts...

Some players believe laminated backs provide a harder, stiffer, more reflective surface, and therefore have the potential to offer more projection/string-to-string definition; unfortunately, not enough experimentation has been done with laminated tops in serious acoustic archtop construction since the early-1950's. I've played a few of the Gibson and Epiphone dual-purpose guitars, nearly all of the vintage laminated acoustic offerings from Gibson/Gretsch/Guild, own an acoustic Godin 5th Avenue, and IMO a well-done laminated top made with quality materials has the potential to provide more-than-acceptable tone in a durable, reasonably-priced instrument - something upright-bass players have known for the last century...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 05-17-2023 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-17-2023, 12:59 AM

My 1950 Devon, with a laminated back, cured me forever of any anti-laminate prejudices.
Eastman MDA-315
2021 Karsten Schnoor Custom B&D Style 5 tenor banjo
2019 Schnoor Weymann (orphaned pot) conversion
1958 Gibson ES-125T
1967 Emmons GS-10
1976 Fender Telecaster (“Ohmygodthisweighsaton”)
Lots and lots of other stuff
Old 05-17-2023, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
For me this stuff plays out as "tendencies" across ranges rather than as fixed rules. There are great plywood guitars and awful solid-wood failures.

How big
How deep
How long a scale
What top-wood
What body-wood
What neck-wood
What fingerboard
Set pickup or floater
How many pickups (i.e. how many giant holes in the top, stuffed with metal)
Wooden bridge or Tune-O-Matic
Neck angle, setup, x-braced or h-braced, setup, tuner weight, setup, afterlength at each end, setup, finish type and thickness, setup, wood quality . . .

And on top of that, random factors particular to each guitar that make gear-hounding so enjoyable.

So for example, here's a 17 x 3.5 x 25.5" luthier-built big jazz box with a floater, maple neck, back and sides, ebony board etc. Over here, a 16 x 2.75 x 24.75 maple plywood guitar with a mahagonoid neck, two humbuckers four knobs and a switch, etc. Will the big guy be louder? MAYBE NOT, if it's set up with 10s and plays-itself string-height and the plywood guitar is set up with 12s mighty tall.

All the best with your quest.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

I can only speak for the laminate Collings electrics vs solid but if you look into what they did in the design they designed the laminate specifically for the guitars.

When I tried the i35lc vs i35 deluxe I preferred the lc (laminate). I ended up with a full hollow i30lc that they only make in laminate.

I would guess that not all laminates are equal in the discussion either.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:10 PM

I guess it really depends on what you want to do with it. Archtops are weird beasts...their acoustic voice can be dramatically different from their plugged in voice.

Generally, if I was wanting to play, say, old school rhythm big band type guitar, I want solid wood. Or one of the afforementioned solid topped Epiphones, which can sound huge. I personally have an old Kay with a solid pressed top, and it does great for rhythm guitar purposes.

If I'm just looking for a guitar that can be plugged in but has a pleasant voice for unplugged practice, then we are all over the place...the lightness of the build matters...compare a 1950's ES-175 to a modern one, for example.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-31-2023, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The low- to midline New York-era Epiphone archtops had solid (carved) tops/laminated backs (and sides post-1949 or so), and left nothing on the table tonally - and their all-laminated basses are still highly prized among savvy players for their tone...
If you want to get really weird, wartime Epiphones deliver. I believe the top on my '43 Zenith is carved poplar as opposed to the normal spruce, solid walnut sides and a laminate walnut back (these were apparently advertised as rosewood and stained dark).

Tonally it is a weird beast - different from even the other pre and post war Epi's I've gotten the privilege to try, in a way that's hard to describe. I'm tempted to say it has more presence, which is what drew me to it and why I have it over anything else in (once was affordable) archtop land. The thing barks louder than any of my other instruments but has a nice bass, and is capable of a somewhat sweet, if gruff sound when I pull back a bit. I've used it for swing/rhythm on gigs with a small horn section and it does its job just fine unamplified.

TL/DR = partial laminate is a wonderful option, +1 for old Epiphones

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops