The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-20-2023, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Hagstrom Jimmy Oval Hole Archtop

Has anyone played a Hagstrom Jimmy oval hole archtop? I am primarily interested in it as an acoustic instrument. Not particularly for jazz but more as a plectrum or even finger style guitar, ala Howard Emerson's (invitation here for Howard to jump in). I have an Eastman AR804ce, which I like, but its sound is a bit thin.
Martin: HD-35, M-36; Gibson: J-200 Rosewood Limited Edition; McIlroy: AD-30; Guild: Orpheum D 12-fret; Yamaha: NXT-1200R; Eastman: AR804CE (with floater), DM-1; HsianMo: Art Gallery SJ-200 (Euro Spruce with Sandalwood b/s (!); Journey Overhead OF660; Eastwood: MRG Studio Resonator; MRG Octave Mandolin; Gretsch: Country Gentleman '59 VSE; Gibson: CS ES-355; more electrics . . .
Old 06-21-2023, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGetaway View Post
Has anyone played a Hagstrom Jimmy oval hole archtop?
I had an early Hagstrom Jimmy f-hole guitar but never an oval-hole.
The Jimmy was nice but lacked That Certain Somethin'.
The Fender D'A Elite which replaced it is my second and is more inspiring.

Quote:
I am primarily interested in it as an acoustic instrument. Not particularly for jazz but more as a plectrum or even finger style guitar, ala Howard Emerson's (invitation here for Howard to jump in).
The Hagstrom Jimmy -- both f- and o-hole -- is a 100% laminated guitar, i.e. an electric instrument. Expect modest acoustic output suitable for use alone at home or in a studio. It will get buried in a picking session.

Quote:
I have an Eastman AR804ce, which I like, but its sound is a bit thin.
Yeah.
About fifteen years ago I had an AR-604ce. It was one of the most unsatisfactory instruments I've ever owned. Gone in a month.

I've since had about half a dozen Eastman archtops and flattops ranging from OK to lifetime-keeper. The only conclusion I can draw is that the product varies across the entire quality range -- buy carefully and keep the good one!
Old 06-21-2023, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Eastman AR804ce

The AR804ce is an excellent instrument. It is a great guitar guitar for blues.
I was just looking for an additional guitar that has that archtop clarity with more of a growl. Eastman have a more modern, smooth, sound.
Martin: HD-35, M-36; Gibson: J-200 Rosewood Limited Edition; McIlroy: AD-30; Guild: Orpheum D 12-fret; Yamaha: NXT-1200R; Eastman: AR804CE (with floater), DM-1; HsianMo: Art Gallery SJ-200 (Euro Spruce with Sandalwood b/s (!); Journey Overhead OF660; Eastwood: MRG Studio Resonator; MRG Octave Mandolin; Gretsch: Country Gentleman '59 VSE; Gibson: CS ES-355; more electrics . . .
Old 06-23-2023, 04:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Has anyone played a Hagstrom Jimmy oval hole archtop? I am primarily interested in it as an acoustic instrument. Not particularly for jazz but more as a plectrum or even finger style guitar, ala Howard Emerson's (invitation here for Howard to jump in). I have an Eastman AR804ce, which I like, but its sound is a bit thin.
I'm just seeing your post this morning.......

I actually played the blonde round hole prototype at Jimmy's shop when it used to be in Huntington Station, NY, but I have no recollection regarding the sound.

While I'm sure it was more resonant with solid top and back, the Hagstrom versions I've played were very muted when played acoustically.

My bet for the biggest bang for the buck would be 1940-1950's lower priced archtops by Gibson, Kalamazoo, etc. Many had solid tops, but even the laminates were built lighter back then, and can have surprisingly full sounds with the right setup and a player who pays attention to how the guitar needs to be played.

If you're gauging anything by how my 1930 L-5 sounds, you're going to be hoeing a tough row.

Thanks for the shout-out, though!

Best,
Howard Emerson
Old 06-23-2023, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Howard. You know, I was a neighbor of yours for years and never thought to come over and learn how to play.
Old 06-25-2023, 03:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks Howard. You know, I was a neighbor of yours for years and never thought to come over and learn how to play.
So what's stopping you now that FaceTime makes it possible from anywhere?

HE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops