The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-26-2020, 06:34 PM

I will introduce a different perspective here.

As a business owner, it costs me a small percentage of each sale to accept a credit or debit card - typically 2-3% of the sale. The agreement with the card processors stipulate that we cannot charge extra to accept cards.

I’ve had people tell me to just change my card processor, but in my line of business, very few will deal with us. We are a Federally licensed gun store but banks and card processors don’t want our business.

For a cash transaction, I get all of the money.

I hope they never get rid of cash.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 06-27-2020, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
I’d love to post some photos of paper currency that I have, but don’t know how. I’ve often struggled with photo posting. Would someone tell me how again? Thank you.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/faq.php
Old 06-27-2020, 02:37 AM

In the UK the £1 note was withdrawn from circulation in 1988, replaced by a £1 coin. A £2 coin was introduced in 1997.

Although most of my purchases are by card. I believe the UK is more "cashless" than the US.

Personally, I prefer some coins in my pocket rather than a wallet stuffed with notes.

Coins are useful for lottery tickets. Who knows, one day I might turn my £2 coin into £100 million +.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
In the UK the £1 note was withdrawn from circulation in 1988, replaced by a £1 coin. A £2 coin was introduced in 1997.

Although most of my purchases are by card. I believe the UK is more "cashless" than the US.

Personally, I prefer some coins in my pocket rather than a wallet stuffed with notes.

Coins are useful for lottery tickets. Who knows, one day I might turn my £2 coin into £100 million +.
I agree with Silurian (love that handle), but disagree with having coin in my pocket - hate it.

I keep a few £1 coins in my gym bag (lockers, parking etc., ) and some cash in the car (or did).

Any left - I usually give to my wife.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’d love to post some photos of paper currency that I have, but don’t know how. I’ve often struggled with photo posting. Would someone tell me how again? Thank you.
AE, as a registered user, you have two choices. You may use the Tapatalk app if the pics are on a mobile device. Or you may utilize a third-party host like Imgur. Take a look at this thread and PM me if you have trouble.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

As a business owner, it costs me a small percentage of each sale to accept a credit or debit card - typically 2-3% of the sale. The agreement with the card processors stipulate that we cannot charge extra to accept cards.

I’ve had people tell me to just change my card processor, but in my line of business, very few will deal with us. We are a Federally licensed gun store but banks and card processors don’t want our business.

For a cash transaction, I get all of the money.

I hope they never get rid of cash.
I'm glad you brought up the other side, Cory. I'm aware of the credit card fee but it's easy to forget sometimes. The large chains get a preferred credit card rate but small business owners wouldn't. I'll keep that in mind when I shop locally at the mom and pop stores. Tough to deal in cash now though because it's not recommended.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:43 AM

https://imgur.com/HcAfn77

This is an old Australian one pound note.

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-27-2020 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Fixed image.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
https://imgur.com/HcAfn77

This is an old Australian one pound note.
That's an old one with King George on it - as a kid growing up I only remember the notes with Queen Elizabeth on them.

An uncle gave me a 10 shilling (10 bob) note one Christmas ... I felt rich! Here's our pre-decimal coins too. I forgot a 2 shilling coin was called a 'florin'.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-27-2020, 05:34 PM

This is an old Irish note.

https://i.imgur.com/CkYURQV.jpg

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-27-2020 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Fixed image.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

Humm ? That is interesting, Here in Wyoming gas stations do it all the time. One price for cash, and a slightly higher price for Credit

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-28-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Humm ? That is interesting, Here in Wyoming gas stations do it all the time. One price for cash, and a slightly higher price for Credit
I haven't seen that before, Kev.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I haven't seen it at a gas station here in Minnesota, but I have seen restaurants offer a discount for cash, which amounts to the same thing.

Contractors routinely charge extra for credit card use.

I did a little searching before responding here, and it seems to be very murky legally, varying from state to state, and even then, not uniformly enforced in any given locale.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-28-2020, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I haven't seen that before, Kev.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I haven't seen it at a gas station here in Minnesota, but I have seen restaurants offer a discount for cash, which amounts to the same thing.

Contractors routinely charge extra for credit card use.

I did a little searching before responding here, and it seems to be very murky legally, varying from state to state, and even then, not uniformly enforced in any given locale.
Interesting ?? Humm I believe it is common in a number of states

Here is an article talking about some NE states and note both Conn and Mass even ban credit card companies from prohibiting cash discounts as per the post I replied to

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2012/rpt/2012-R-0429.htm

Here is a sign company that offers dual price signs
https://unitedsign.com/collections/f...yAAEgIGP_D_BwE

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-28-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

I encounter that on a regular basis in Massachusetts. It’s legal, as best I know, for any kind of business.
Just last week I got my truck repaired and saved about $20. paying by check instead of credit. So, it’s not just gas stations.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 07-02-2020, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

I believe pennies cost more to make than their value. Spent some time (and money) in Canada in 2015 and found it refreshing to not play with them. Wouldn't miss them here if we did the same thing.

Coincidentally, the same week I returned from that trip, cash handlers here in the US started asking me if I wanted my pennies when they made change. Sometimes I did and sometimes I didn't.

What's a little irksome is when someone else decides FOR me and keeps the pennies without a word. In those cases, it becomes a matter of principle and I ask for my change. Recently, it really chapped my hide when that happened and the guy at the counter needed a co-worker to open his cash drawer for him. She asked him why and his snide-sounding response to her was, "He wants his pennies" like it was the pettiest Scrooge move he'd ever seen in his short, minimum-wage life.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic