The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-02-2020, 01:55 PM

Default ukulele

Are ukulele strumming patterns the same used for a Acoustic guitar and vice versa
Old 04-02-2020, 02:06 PM

I regularly do.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:46 PM

The same strumming patterns apply, but ukulele players seem to like
D DU U DU.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:01 PM

I have seen a lot of different ways people strum ukuleles. Many times this involves strumming with opened fingers (no pick) in a wavy motion, so right away there is a basic difference between guitar and ukulele strumming as you surmised. Sometimes you can make a 'pick' out of thumb and index fingers. Some artists use a thumbpick. So there is no real correct answer. Just go with what works for you.

If you are not overly familiar with stringing and tuning a ukulele, the traditional tuning is 'gCEA', where the top string is an octave 'g' and the next string is 7 half steps down to 'C'. Thus whether or not you strum up or down, the result strikes a treble note first. for some reason this is called a re-entrant sound, which gives a ukulele it's uniqueness.

Lot of different techniques displayed in this one, "Miserlou" :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeSdwBOsXKA

There are a lot of players now using a low G, changing to 'GCEA', for a fuller sound, but the re-entrant sound is lost. One well known player, Taimane, plays electrically with a thumb pick and uses a 5 string ukulele tuned 'GG C E A', where there are 2 G strings in a unison course, like BB or EE on a 12 string.

I have a couple of traditionally strung 4 string ukuleles, and also a 5 string ukulele, a Kala KA ATP5 CTG, cedar over acacia, tuned to 'gG C E A'. The leading 'gG' course uses an octave g string above a G string the same as a 12 string ('eE aA dD gG BB EE') with the octave only appearing at the top. Thus a treble string is struck first and preserves the re-entrant sound like a normal ukulele while still providing the fuller sound. I get to pluck my cake and savor it too. I fingerpick all my instruments, using my nails as picks. So I get to strike/strum my ukuleles any way I want. I go with whatever works for me.

Sorry if this is TMI, but it ended up a bit more than a simple answer, because there isn't one. Also, the notes on a ukulele have the same intervals as the 4 bottom strings on a guitar. Capo a guitar on the 5th fret and you get 'GCEA' on the open 4 treble strings.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 04-02-2020, 10:04 PM

A lot of players (including me) strum over the neck with the index finger (sometimes thumb). Strumming any further back can become shrill.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnboyC View Post
Are ukulele strumming patterns the same used for a Acoustic guitar and vice versa
Sometimes yes but mostly no.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Most people who play ukulele do not use a pick, and those that do use a stiff felt pick instead of a plastic one. The pick or no pick discussion gets a lot of traction though. Those pick people might be few in number, but they're loud.

Last edited by rllink; 04-03-2020 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:15 AM

As a guy with lots of experience with ukulele and guitar, I would say there's no way to make such an easy generalization. My opinion.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:05 PM

Hi John

There are lists of strum patterns, pick patterns and fill patterns at websites and in some songbooks for ukuleles and for guitars. There are entire books of fills and riffs for guitars that can also be adapted for ukulele.

Titles usually tell you what styles the authors think the patterns are good for: Hawaiian, calypso, country, blues, claw hammer, etc.

Guitar patterns often alternate between bass strings and treble strings. We can get similar effects on ukulele by thinking of the four strings as alternately bass strings and treble strings.

Most folks are happy to learn a few patterns and let voices carry the songs. Others like to learn many patterns and fills.

It's all fun.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
I have seen a lot of different ways people strum ukuleles. Many times this involves strumming with opened fingers (no pick) in a wavy motion, so right away there is a basic difference between guitar and ukulele strumming as you surmised.

Don
I come from the uke and that wave over the strings is the strum that I use a lot. And with the guitar I catch myself doing the same strum sometimes, especially if I want to tone things down a bit. But I remind myself that's not the way they strum guitars. But then just the other night during the One World Concert, the Stones are doing their song, and there's Keith Richards slipping in the wave. I told my wife, look at that, I do it just like big time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments