The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-06-2020, 05:25 PM

Well between my banjos and guitars, including some collectibles, last count was 31, but I’ve been buying and trading for years, always trading up however. But, I try my best to play one like what I’m buying if not the one I’m buying so I’m back to ordering and paying for a return I think if it doesn’t work out, as I can’t find one near to play.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinngibson View Post
Well between my banjos and guitars, including some collectibles, last count was 31, but I’ve been buying and trading for years, always trading up however. But, I try my best to play one like what I’m buying if not the one I’m buying so I’m back to ordering and paying for a return I think if it doesn’t work out, as I can’t find one near to play.
Maybe then, just maybe, CF is not for you right now - unless you're prepared to take a chance.

In the meantime, I'm quite happy to measure or otherwise describe any other aspect of my X20s that may assist you coming to a decision
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-06-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I think you are fast approaching (or have reached) Analysis Paralysis.

Buy something!!
Good observation and advice.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-06-2020, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

I wasn't ignoring the questions - we've been a bit busy with this being out and about stuff. Looks like other folks have answered all the questions. Well, except regarding my take on the feel of the neck on the X10 and X20. There IS a difference, but it isn't that great. Yes, the X10 is 1 11/16" nut width vs the 1.75" on the X20. Both are comfortable for me, with the X10 also feeling a bit thinner.

I've seen some describe the X20 neck as "chunky," and that is not my impression at all. I think Taylor has the best neck profiles in the business (for my grip), and the X20 feels similar to the 814 (both are 1 3/4" nut width), the X10 feels similar to the T5 (both have 1 11/16" nut width).

For further comparison, the RainSong N2/NS neck definitely feels chunky to me. I sold the RS Shorty after getting a couple Emeralds, far preferring the Emerald neck profile.

I am an average size human, but look small next to my friend Earl. I wear M/L gloves. I like long walks on the beach and ... wait... what? This isn't that kind of forum. If you visit a Guitar Center that has some Taylors and the occasional RainSong, you will immediately feel the difference between those neck profiles. If you are good with the Taylors, you should feel comfortable with the Emeralds.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:45 AM

The 1-11/16 or the 1-3/4 nut width doesn’t bother me as I have guitars with both and the transition to either is fine as I play banjo and they are 1-1/4 at the nut. I can lay one down and pick the other up with no issues. But I have smaller hands and my fingers are still limber thank goodness.

Where the problem arises for me is when the neck is chunky especially from the seventh fret on. If it gets thick in those areas it’s hard to do the thumb wrap low E cleanly especially on an uptempo song. I’ve had two Taylor’s and the neck profile on both were actually too flat of a profile to my liking. Thanks for everyone’s input. I’ll probably just order an X20 as they have a good return policy.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for everyone’s input. I’ll probably just order an X20 as they have a good return policy.
I think, based on the conversation so far, that an X20 will suit you very nicely.

If not, then you're only out the shipping each way - or you could simply resell it, and treat any loss as rental

The used market for CF guitars seems to be pretty healthy these days.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-07-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I’ll probably just order an X20 as they have a good return policy.
A guy could do worse. I predict it won't return to Ireland if you buy. I have a variety of CF guitars handy and reach for the X20 way more than the others or my Taylor's. In fact, if they all disappeared, the only ones that would get replaced are the X20 and X20-12. My wife would replace her X7 too. The tone is marvelous and once you get spoiled by those ergonomic bevels....
Old 07-07-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
A guy could do worse. I predict it won't return to Ireland if you buy. I have a variety of CF guitars handy and reach for the X20 way more than the others or my Taylor's. In fact, if they all disappeared, the only ones that would get replaced are the X20 and X20-12. My wife would replace her X7 too. The tone is marvelous and once you get spoiled by those ergonomic bevels....
I completely agree. Nowadays, carbon fiber brings so much more to the buying public; incredible tone (especially once you get used to it), rib rests, arm bevels, asymmetrical leg rests, etc.

For those of us in the know, our gravitation to carbon fiber for its resistance to humidity and temperature is just icing on the cake.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:51 PM

I agree completely but I would add that the fact that you can leave a CF instrument out and visible all year round, always beckoning you to pick it and play it, is something of inestimable value.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber