The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-23-2020, 12:24 AM

Default What is this style called, and how do I learn to play it?

I stumbled across the Youtube video linked below a few days ago, and as I was admiring the abilities of its protagonist, I realized that I honestly don't know how to classify this incredibly common style he's playing (at 3:11 and 4:01 in particular, also 4:22). I possess the skills to play what he's playing, but it generally feels like rote memorization and/or muscle memory for me rather than a logical, thought-out process whenever I learn this type of song.

https://youtu.be/vBA1szP1Lks?t=191

https://youtu.be/vBA1szP1Lks?t=241

What's the best way to bolster my ability in this style? I realize that he's Travis picking in the first sample and flatpicking in the others, but I still consider the mood of the music to be similar in each sample. I haven't put much effort into Travis picking, so I know for sure that's one thing I need to focus on.

FYI, I've been playing for over 15 years so I will be building from a relatively solid foundation. I can play diatonic scales all up and down the fretboard, although my visual perception of intervals/arpeggios is still on the shaky side of things. My theory admittedly has some catching up to do with my technical ability.

Are there standards for me to learn? A progression from easy to difficult? Where should I begin? What are some tricks to keep my hands and my brain on the same page?

Thx
Old 06-23-2020, 12:43 AM

4:01 is pretty standard bluegrass flatpicking and 4:22 bluegrass melodic bass.
You can take Billy in the lowground and Wildwood flower as similar examples.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:55 AM

First is fingerstyle blues and second is bluegrass
Old 06-23-2020, 10:59 AM

There are a lot of resources. Mark Hanson is a popular resource for a book and Homespun has CD's
Old 06-23-2020, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

For finger style, two books by Mark Hanson. The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking and The Art of Solo Fingerpicking. The first book is mostly instructional with a few tunes, the second has more tunes in it. Many of us bought both. He now has digital versions as well on his new website:

https://markhansonguitar.com/shop/

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-23-2020, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Well that’s Tony Polecastro. Click on his Acoustic Letter information and he has full courses teaching you all those styles for a low monthly or yearly fee. No affiliation.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:56 PM

Thanks everyone, I will check out those resources.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

That's Tony Polecastro's version of "The Last Steam Engine Train". He has some good online courses and that song is a fun one to play. In fact, I often play it (at a much quicker tempo) when trying out guitars.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 07-05-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
For finger style, two books by Mark Hanson. The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking and The Art of Solo Fingerpicking. The first book is mostly instructional with a few tunes, the second has more tunes in it. Many of us bought both. He now has digital versions as well on his new website:

https://markhansonguitar.com/shop/
So, in reading some reviews of The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking, one said that in Hanson's method he teaches the use of the thumb,index, middle and ring fingers. The reason I ask is, I tore a tendon in my ring finger as a kid so it's not really useful for something like fingerpicking like that. Subsequently, I'm looking for a method where I'd just use the thumb, index and middle fingers.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:49 PM

Have you heard of ‘American Primitive’? The style popularized by the great John Fahey? Look up his version of Poor Boy Long Ways From Home - it’s a riff on the same song in your video.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWalker View Post
So, in reading some reviews of The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking, one said that in Hanson's method he teaches the use of the thumb,index, middle and ring fingers. The reason I ask is, I tore a tendon in my ring finger as a kid so it's not really useful for something like fingerpicking like that. Subsequently, I'm looking for a method where I'd just use the thumb, index and middle fingers.
Toby Walker is a member here and has an introduction to fingerpicking course available. He starts you out with thumb and index then moves to thumb index middle. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t use his ring finger.
Link:
https://www.tobywalkerslessons.com/l...nger-pick.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write