The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-01-2020, 08:57 AM

On the subject of ToneDexter, I wonder how Soundscape will compare with ToneDexter in the area of feedback rejection. That should be an interesting comparison.

ToneDexter does a finite reduction of two resonant frequencies for a particular guitar/pickup rig, while Soundscape makes a "feedback profile" of three resonant frequencies and provides an anti-feedback knob which allows the user to dial out a selected amount of those resonant frequencies.

Lloyd Baggs has commented that the Soundscape's anti-feedback feature may be the Soundscape's "sleeping dog" aspect. It'll be interesting to learn what kind of bite the sleeping dog has.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Lloyd Baggs has commented that the Soundscape's anti-feedback feature may be the Soundscape's "sleeping dog" aspect. It'll be interesting to learn what kind of bite the sleeping dog has.
Prolly can hear frequencies that we mere humans simply cannot.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Prolly can hear frequencies that we mere humans simply cannot.
In that case, it will be very similar to my first gig experience with ToneDexter.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Random Thoughts on Aura and ToneDexter

I think Fishman's competitive advantage is 25 hours of operation on a single 9v alkaline battery. They got started early enough that even the pedal probably could not handle the computational requirements of playback using the current state-of-the-art 40 mS, 2048 coefficient, IR. As a result they developed techniques around a shorter IR fortified with traditional EQ (IIR). The short IR saves power, and IIR techniques are very power stingy but notoriously hard to program. In EE undergrad you find IIR filters are often named after their inventors, where as an FIR filter (the thing that "plays" your IR) can be designed by trial and error.

As a result of this compromise, Aura does not lend itself to generating its IR with IIR outside of their premises, and to my ear some aspects sound a little funky as you up the IR percentage in the mix. And finally because it is a downloaded IR, if you don't like their mic placement, or your individual guitar has some variation from the factory one, it can't be optimal to your ear. I think the mic selection they advertise is mostly marketing.

I think ToneDexter's competitive advantage is no IR algorithm compromise for battery operation, a custom IR quality controlled by you, and a completely self contained DIY solution in one bullet proof over designed metal box that if you wish can be left not updated until you pass this earth :~).

When Soundscape comes to market, it will be interesting to see where it fits.
  • PRS S2 McCarty Thinline
  • One QSC CP8 high/behind, duo gigs no mixer
  • Two SM58, Whirlwind IMCOM, CP8 Mic Input
  • HFN, HXStomp(jf45ir), TRS cable, CP8 3.5mm Stereo Input
[email protected], www.justsoduo.com

jf45ir free DIY IR generator: http://acousticir.free.fr/spip.php?article136
Old 07-03-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I think Fishman's competitive advantage is 25 hours of operation on a single 9v alkaline battery. They got started early enough that even the pedal probably could not handle the computational requirements of playback using the current state-of-the-art 40 mS, 2048 coefficient, IR. As a result they developed techniques around a shorter IR fortified with traditional EQ (IIR). The short IR saves power, and IIR techniques are very power stingy but notoriously hard to program. In EE undergrad you find IIR filters are often named after their inventors, where as an FIR filter (the thing that "plays" your IR) can be designed by trial and error.

As a result of this compromise, Aura does not lend itself to generating its IR with IIR outside of their premises, and to my ear some aspects sound a little funky as you up the IR percentage in the mix. And finally because it is a downloaded IR, if you don't like their mic placement, or your individual guitar has some variation from the factory one, it can't be optimal to your ear. I think the mic selection they advertise is mostly marketing.

I think ToneDexter's competitive advantage is no IR algorithm compromise for battery operation, a custom IR quality controlled by you, and a completely self contained DIY solution in one bullet proof over designed metal box that if you wish can be left not updated until you pass this earth :~).

When Soundscape comes to market, it will be interesting to see where it fits.

Outstanding synopsis as usual Jon. I also liked your comment in the Sable thread about the RS Vintage Dread - which may have been a better choice for me too.
Taylor 358 LTD (ES2)

"Lift your head and smile at trouble. You'll find happiness someday."
Less clicking, more picking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification