The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-17-2020, 07:57 PM

Default String life of CF guitar VS Wooden guitar

Is there any difference for string life of carbon fiber guitar VS wooden guitar? I notice that I need to change much more frequent (1 or 2 mths) than wooden guitar (Usually 4-6 mths). Maybe I mainly bring my carbon fiber guitar for outdoor instead of wooden guitar. Any similar situations?

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 06-17-2020, 08:26 PM

I think it depends on the strings you are using more than whether the guitar is wood or CF. I have two CF and several wood guitars, and keep a journal on string changes (dates, type, gauge) and have not noticed a discernible difference on how long a given set of strings last on CF vs wood. You may just be playing the CF guitars more! That's certainly my case, since I feel more confident leaving a CF guitar on a stand, where it's easy and quick to grab...
Old 06-17-2020, 08:57 PM

Well coated/treated ought to last you one way or the other regardless of instrument construction. As far as uncoated on a wooden guitar, I often think they might last a little less longer due to the fact that the wooden instruments spend a lot more time in a humidified case or room-- and if you live in a humid environment you still have the same issue if not more of an issue. That extra moisture can cause corrosion right there.

Overall I say play what sounds best and change them when the quality of sound begins to degrade, that is why Elixirs are so darn popular.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Well coated/treated ought to last you one way or the other regardless of instrument construction. As far as uncoated on a wooden guitar, I often think they might last a little less longer due to the fact that the wooden instruments spend a lot more time in a humidified case or room-- and if you live in a humid environment you still have the same issue if not more of an issue. That extra moisture can cause corrosion right there.

Overall I say play what sounds best and change them when the quality of sound begins to degrade, that is why Elixirs are so darn popular.
I use Martin SP7200 PB 13-56

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 06-17-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
I use Martin SP7200 PB 13-56
I love Martin strings, coated or uncoated. I don't know how many packs of those you have, but the MSP7200 will be eventually impossible to find. Martin changed up their string line in early 2019 (I think?). Your new replacement will be Martin MA550T.

I also recently tried the Martin MA545 and really liked them. If you want to try a string set that gives you the power of mediums but are a little easier on the hands they are worth a try. They are "light mediums" and are untreated but I got about 2 months of relatively heavy play out of them just making sure my hands were clean and I wiped the strings down after every play. They were great and I may go back to them. The gauges are .0125,.0165,.0255, .0335, .0435, and .055 with overall tension at 179.3 lbs.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I love Martin strings, coated or uncoated. I don't know how many packs of those you have, but the MSP7200 will be eventually impossible to find. Martin changed up their string line in early 2019 (I think?). Your new replacement will be Martin MA550T.

I also recently tried the Martin MA545 and really liked them. If you want to try a string set that gives you the power of mediums but are a little easier on the hands they are worth a try. They are "light mediums" and are untreated but I got about 2 months of relatively heavy play out of them just making sure my hands were clean and I wiped the strings down after every play. They were great and I may go back to them. The gauges are .0125,.0165,.0255, .0335, .0435, and .055 with overall tension at 179.3 lbs.
I bought 10 packs when there is 90% off in my local store last year. I still have 4 packs to go. I'm considering Martin SMA550 after all stocks finished since I can get in bulk package which is cheaper

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 06-18-2020, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

I mostly play outside, plus my GX is on a stand and not in a climate controlled environment.

I have tried dozens of strings and even coated strings quickly turn green here in the summer. In winter, strings last much longer.

For my purposes, the best-sounding and longest-lasting strings have been the Newtone Doublewound PBs.

They also reduce string squeak.

The Newtones are hand made in England ~ you can order directly ~ and you'll have a nice choice of gauges.

Worth a try. Just be patient, it can take a few weeks to get your order.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

I haven't noticed any difference.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
.....Maybe I mainly bring my carbon fiber guitar for outdoor instead of wooden guitar. Any similar situations?
I think that is your clue. If they are not used in the same way or in the same environment, then the useful life will be different. There is no inherent reason that I can think of why string life would be any different on a carbon guitar. The prior comment about wooden instruments living in a humidified case is valid too. A new set of strings with very little play time will have some surface corrosion (won't look as bright and new) after a few weeks in the case. They still sound new though.

I alternate almost randomly among my CF guitars, but lately I have been playing my all-koa Taylor 424-LTD the most. It is summer and the humidity is now in a good range, so it can stay out on a stand.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
...It is summer and the humidity is now in a good range, so it can stay out on a stand.
But those wooden guitars that remain in their cases when not being played will tend to get played less while the carbon fiber guitars that remain out all the time will tend to get played more. In that scenario, one would expect to change the strings on a carbon fiver guitar more often simply because it's being played much more...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 06-18-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:50 PM

I guess I didn't think that a carbon fiber guitar could be played more because it is left out. Prolly why I sold my wooden guitar and likely will never buy one again. Once I felt how comfortable my Journey was and the impervious, carefree nature of having a guitar like this, I think I'm sold on CF.

Now I just have to get my hands on an X20, it's kind of like the big daddy of the OF660- you know, a Papa Bear, Baby Bear, Goldilocks situation.

Last edited by steelvibe; 06-18-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
But those wooden guitars that remain in their cases when not being played will tend to get played less while the carbon fiber guitars that remain out all the time will tend to get played more. In that scenario, one would expect to change the strings on a carbon fiber guitar more often simply because it's being played much more...
My two remaining Taylor guitars (both koa) get played infrequently, as they are stored in their cases in a closet. My living room has four wall hangers and a Hercules floor stand which are full of CF guitars. I grab whichever one that strikes my fancy at any given play session. Sometimes it may be the one left in a specific tuning from last time. No rhyme nor reason....

With good humidity conditions at the moment, I am enjoying some fairly rare time with a wooden guitar. One of the koa Taylor's -- the GS-K -- may well be on the market soon. I don't need extra case queens around.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
...My living room has four wall hangers and a Hercules floor stand which are full of CF guitars. I grab whichever one that strikes my fancy at any given play session. Sometimes it may be the one left in a specific tuning from last time. No rhyme nor reason....
Well actually, the rhyme and reason are that we tend to play the ones that are accessible...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber