The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-03-2009, 09:15 AM

Default What radius is better for fingerpicking?

I'm getting a new fretboard made, and it just occurs to me that all three of my guitars have a neck radius of 10" or 12".
And that's what i've been playing for quite a few years.

If I go to a wider radius like 16", will it seem harder to pluck the strings with my finger tips?

Old 07-03-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
I'm getting a new fretboard made, and it just occurs to me that all three of my guitars have a neck radius of 10" or 12".
And that's what i've been playing for quite a few years.

If I go to a wider radius like 16", will it seem harder to pluck the strings with my finger tips?

There is no "best," only what the individual player prefers.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
There is no "best," only what the individual player prefers.
Ok, how about easiest?

What i'm trying to figure out here, is whether it will feel like there's less space in which to "catch" the edge of the string.

Since the strings will be laying flatter, i'm wondering if that becomes an obstacle or not.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:30 AM

It all depends on how you grab the neck, and the feel you're looking for. To me, a compound radius makes sense. As the strings go from the nut to the saddle the spacing widens. (like a cone) If a single radius is used the action from the center strings to the outside strings will change slightly as the spacing gets wider. A compound radius allow lower, more consistant action, although the difference it subtle. My "standard" radius is 12" and the nut and 16" at the 20th fret but I'll do whatever radius, compound or single a customer wants.
Small things like fingerboard radius don't make a big difference but it's best to play a bunch of different guitars you know the radius of and decide what feels best for you.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:37 AM

For me, the fretboard radius is pretty much a non-issue, unless it's flat. The string spacing has far more effect on fingerpicking ease.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Woody, it makes sense to try different radius setups.
And I just happen to have a set of radius gauges, and oh yeah. Two Guitar Centers within a half hour drive of me.
Looks like I know what i'm doing this afternoon.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Woody, it makes sense to try different radius setups.
And I just happen to have a set of radius gauges, and oh yeah. Two Guitar Centers within a half hour drive of me.
Looks like I know what i'm doing this afternoon.

Nothing beats a good excuse to go out and play some guitars
Old 07-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Humanist

The standard cylindrical radius on Martin guitars is 16", Taylor is 15".

Larrivée uses a compound (conical) radius of 16"-21" or 17"-21" depending on the model.

Standard classical guitars are flat, but I have seen so-called "cross-over" nylon string instruments with non-flat radii. I couldn't quote the numbers for you on this.

As the esteemed Mr. Ruskin has said, there is no "best", nor is there an "easiest" radius (whatever that means)...it's simply based on what you prefer...and of course, what you prefer can only be based on what you've experienced first-hand (no pun).

Most stores (owners and employees) will have no idea what the radius numbers are for any guitar hanging on the wall...and having a radius gauge may be of little help, since most guitars have strings attached!

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 07-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

When you find one with the right radius (along with the right strings spacing and neck profile and action and the right shape of edge on the fretboard) you'll know it because your fingers will just fly along and everything will be easier an faster than on any other guitar.

Buy that one. Then go home and measure the radius and you'll know.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 07-03-2009, 02:45 PM

Larry, my trip to Guitar Center would have made more sense if I had read your post first.

I got there, and climbed through dozens of acoustic and electric guitars with my tape measure, and my radius gauges.

And practically every acoustic is a 12" radius at the soundhole end of the neck, which is the only area I can check reliably with the gauges. A couple of them were 14", but not as wide as most people would guess.

A couple of electrics were 16" radius.

Anyway, I finally glance over at a classical guitar, and I see that the fretboard is ruler flat.

It was like a Homer Simpson moment.

If a flat board is ok for fingerpicking on a guitar that is pretty much made for fingerpicking, well then it's obviously ok isn't it...

DOH!

But the good thing is that I wound up getting a Planet Waves finger exerciser that i've been forgetting to get like, forever.

No such thing as a wasted trip to a guitar shop, people.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:50 PM

Oh, and it's actually quite easy to use the gauges with the strings attached.

All you have to do is lay the gauge across the strings, and site down the neck like you're looking down the barrel of an opened shotgun.

You have to hold the gauge a few inches closer to your line of sight to get everything to match up.
But once you do, it's very easy to see if you have a match.

It took me a few minutes of messing around until I got that, but It's remarkably easy that way.

And I brought 8 different profiles with me, so it was easy to see what was what.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:12 PM

don't overthink it monsoon.......just play as many different neck sizes as you can and you'll eventually find one that you like.........
Old 07-03-2009, 03:13 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
don't overthink it monsoon.......just play as many different neck sizes as you can and you'll eventually find one that you like.........
Yep.
I've never paid attention to what radius the fretboards on my guitars are.
If they are comfortable...they are comfortable. If not, not.
There are too many other factors involved.
Neck profile, nut width, string spacing, scale length. Radius is last on the list....and there is no way of knowing which you will think is "best" because of all the other variables involved.
You may like this radius with that neck profile/string spacing, maybe a different one with a different set.

If some sales person is BS'ing you about such and such radius is "better" for fingerstyle or this builder builds an easier playing guitar because of the radius they use.....don't take anything else they say seriously. They have no idea what they are talking about.

(FWIW, I can't recall picking up an acoustic guitar and thinking "Ooohhh...this radius is uncomfortable"..or, "Gee, this is a GREAT radius".
Acoustic guitar builders tend to stay away from extremes.)

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 07-03-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Humanist

Quote:

And practically every acoustic is a 12" radius at the soundhole end of the neck, which is the only area I can check reliably with the gauges. A couple of them were 14", but not as wide as most people would guess.

I hope your gauge checked the Martins at 16" and the Taylors at 15"....?

Quote:
Oh, and it's actually quite easy to use the gauges with the strings attached.

All you have to do is lay the gauge across the strings, and site down the neck like you're looking down the barrel of an opened shotgun.

You have to hold the gauge a few inches closer to your line of sight to get everything to match up.
But once you do, it's very easy to see if you have a match.

It took me a few minutes of messing around until I got that, but It's remarkably easy that way.

And I brought 8 different profiles with me, so it was easy to see what was what.

You measure the radius of the fingerboard with the apparatus laying on top of the strings?

I'll admit to not knowing what you're talking about, and also suspecting that your measurments may be off...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 07-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

I think the difference between a 12" radius and a 15" radius on a less-than-2" fretboard is surprisingly subtle. I suspect your eyes may have fooled you a bit by having the radius gauges slightly away from the fretboard because of the strings.

Flat looks far more different from 16" than 16" looks from 12" for instance.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion