The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2018, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
I notice this is often a concern on AGF. Don't do this or don't do that- it (negatively) effects the resale value.

My question is if resale is such the issue, why are you buying the guitar in the first place?
Because most here have experience with buying a guitar or guitars that they hoped and thought would be the answer to their guitar prayers and ended up trading or selling them. Enough said.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-24-2018, 06:02 PM

I’m with you, Paddy.

I buy a guitar to play it. If, for whatever reason, its value goes down, it’s rent for something that brought me pleasure for a while.

Ask your naysayers why they devalue a drink or food by consuming it. That’s waste.

George
Old 09-24-2018, 08:48 PM

I don't get the part about the "little things" that "make it yours."

What makes it mine is that I bought it.

And I definitely don't want to add doodads like an arm rest. I want to keep the guitar the way it was when it was made, except for normal wear and tear from playing.

I have never sold a guitar and have no intention of selling one. But that does not mean that I want to modify them.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:14 PM

OK. I am not suggesting that anybody do anything with their guitar. Only that some non- destructive additions improve the guitar for me. A Pearse armrest is not a doodad. It can add comfort, prevent finish damage and most important- it lets all of the guitar's potential be realized, sound-wise. This is especially true of small body guitars. The armrest can be removed.

Tuners are another change that can make using the guitar easier, better.

This is one that many of you do. You have guitars that have Grover Rotomatic or Shaller M6 style tuners. You replace them with Waverly style tuners for whatever your reasons are. If done well, it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
If you are happy with your guitar as you bought it, good. Simple, reversible mods should not be a big deal, however. And yes, I would buy a used guitar if I liked it's sound even if it had open geared tuners which I don't necessarily like... or if it had a Pearse armrest or an ugly pickguard.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:45 PM

Guitars are tools and assets at the same time. What this means is that they are in theory convertible back into cash again. Who knows what the exigencies of life may bring? How many times have we read of someone selling a guitar to pay for medical fees or for college tuition fees or for home renovation works or to repair a roof that is damaged by a storm etc. Or if you find a guitar that you really like and like better than your current on but you cannot afford to buy it without selling your current one? So today you may not see a need to sell your guitar but tomorrow is another day that may be very different. I

Hence it is not just "flippers" who is concerned with resale value but everyone so buys a guitar should be also.

As long as you are fine with reducing its resale value with your modifications, then go on right ahead.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion