The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-23-2018, 04:53 PM

Okay to be canned for working under the influence, but that's as far as I'd take it.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:44 PM

Default Yes

It is against federal law. Use MJ or work take your pick.

You wouldn't want someone eating all the donuts in the break room.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:45 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post
The initial posting stated MMJ is legal. On a Federal level it's not.

So unlike alcohol "legal is legal" is not correct.

Story follows-

I retired from a job with a Dept of Defense Top Secret Security clearance.

Federal clearance to work for a defense contractor. Any form of (federally) illegal drug use would be ground for loss of clearance and subsequent loss of job. Those were the terms. We were informed of them frequently.

I had no issue with that until my wife wanted to try some MJ to ease her pain as she entered hospice for terminal cancer.

She couldn't go get it herself. I was her primary caregiver during hospice.

I went to great pains to work thru my Security office to get them to put in writing that they understood that I was going to purchase MJ for my wife's use and that if they wanted to I could be subject to urinalysis just to check.

I wound up applying it to her skin as a salve in coconut oil and I wore protective gloves to ensure I wouldn't be contaminated with THC.

Since I was completely transparent about what was happening there was no issue (or test).

Footnote- Her MMJ card came thru in the mail 2.5 months after she died. I was glad I could buy recreational product to help her when she needed it.

Wow my deepest condolences about your wife. Glad you were able to give her comfort.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Rather than compare this to alcohol levels in an employee’s blood, shouldn’t we compare this to other legal medications? If a person is prescribed Valium as a muscle relaxant this will certainly show up in a blood test. Does this constitute grounds for dismissal. Same with pain meds like Tramadol or even something more powerful like OxyContin. I’ve never heard of people being dismissed because they have taken those prescriptions. If someone is prescribed MMJ for insomnia, anxiety or back pain, it seems logical to assume it will show up in your blood sample, just like any other prescription. And some people find CBD to be an effective medicine. CBD has no THC and is not psychoactive, but would also show up in a blood test. How’s that handled?
Exactly!
I have a diagnosed anxiety disorder, the most common one, GAD, generalized anxiety disorder. I have a script for Valium. I use it only when my anxiety is bad.
It has a long half-life, as far as benzos are concerned. If work tested me, they’d find it. Now, could they fire me? They better not, or they’d be hearing from my lawyer. It’s a medicine, just like Percocet or Vicodin, both opioids. MMJ is now a medicine in some states. How can a person be fired for taking a medicine?
Assuming of course they have a MMJ card, which you cannot get without a doctor approval, and a state registration, at least in Mass. Alcohol and nicotine are drugs too.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post

Footnote- Her MMJ card came thru in the mail 2.5 months after she died. I was glad I could buy recreational product to help her when she needed it.
Very sorry for your loss.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
Exactly!
I have a diagnosed anxiety disorder, the most common one, GAD, generalized anxiety disorder. I have a script for Valium. I use it only when my anxiety is bad.
It has a long half-life, as far as benzos are concerned. If work tested me, they’d find it. Now, could they fire me? They better not, or they’d be hearing from my lawyer. It’s a medicine, just like Percocet or Vicodin, both opioids. MMJ is now a medicine in some states. How can a person be fired for taking a medicine?
Assuming of course they have a MMJ card, which you cannot get without a doctor approval, and a state registration, at least in Mass. Alcohol and nicotine are drugs too.
You (and Paul, whom you quoted) raise good points.

I think we can all agree that MMJ is very different from other medicines. Dosage is not very uniform. You can’t fill your prescription for MMJ at the local CVS or Rite Aid. Most prescriptions for MMJ come from specialty clinics that offer no other treatments or evaluations, and which write no prescriptions for any other medicines (this is highly unusual; it is much more common for specialty clinics to orient around the treatment of a specific condition, and prior to MMJ, it was unheard of for a clinic to orient around a medication that was felt to have wide-ranging benefit in the treatment of many conditions). Prescriptions for MMJ do not often come from your primary care physician.

And I can’t think of any other medicine that is legal in some states, illegal in others, and entirely illegal under federal statutes.

As long as there is such an array of differences between MMJ and other prescription drugs, it is not likely that we will see reliable workplace protections, nor much consistency in corporate policies among various companies, nor much congruence in the workplace responses to MMJ and workplace responses to other medicines. IMO.

Last edited by buddyhu; 09-23-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:55 PM

As long as the Federal Government has it classified as a schedule 1 Drug, it can't be handled by work places or Drugstores. It does seem to help many, it is not going away so I would recommend change the Classification so it can be handled as every other Drug.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
You (and Paul, whom you quoted) raise good points.

I think we can all agree that MMJ is very different from other medicines. Dosage is not very uniform. You can’t fill your prescription for MMJ at the local CVS or Rite Aid. Most prescriptions for MMJ come from specialty clinics that offer no other treatments or evaluations, and which write no prescriptions for any other medicines (this is highly unusual; it is much more common for specialty clinics to orient around the treatment of a specific condition, and prior to MMJ, it was unheard of for a clinic to orient around a medication that was felt to have wide-ranging benefit in the treatment of many conditions). Prescriptions for MMJ do not often come from your primary care physician.

And I can’t think of any other medicine that is legal in some states, illegal in others, and entirely illegal under federal statutes.

As long as there is such a difference between MMJ and other prescription drugs, it is not likely that we will see reliable workplace protections, nor much consistency in corporate policies among various companies, nor much congruence in the workplace responses to MMJ and workplace responses to other medicines. IMO.
Good points Rich and I won’t argue with the spirit of your message, but there are a few details worth clearing up based on my experience. I’ve had a medical MJ card for 3 years. In order to get a card you must be referred by your Primary Care Pysician who originally make the diagnosis. Then you must schedule an appointment with a physician who is licensed to treat you using MMJ. You must bring supporting medical records to go along with the referral. The MMJ physician has training in MMJ and provides guidance on dosage and usage based (unfortunately) on mostly anecdotal “research” because there hasn’t been much research to date. This process must be repeated each year to maintain a card. And while the dispensaries are not as plentiful as those distributing OxyContin, there are quite few around.

I think the prescribed medical use of Cannabis is in the legal netherworld at the moment. It is difficult to know how State Law will answer the OP. But given the fact that 30 States have legal MMJ, I’m thinking they might lean toward the patients.

EDIT — In June of 2015, the Colorado Supreme Court ruled that, in accordance with federal law, employers can fire employees who legally use marijuana in accordance with state laws.

So how does this translate into Medical Use and other states 3+ years later is unknown, but buyer beware.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 09-23-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

MMJ remains illegal under federal law. Companies do not want to be caught violating federal law, or opening themselves up to lawsuits if someone gets hurt, or maybe even having difficulty obtaining liability insurance or providing medical insurance. Large companies that violate federal law may not get federal contracts.

Or it could be as simple as my company, my rule.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Good points Rich and I won’t argue with the spirit of your message, but there are a few details worth clearing up based on my experience. I’ve had a medical MJ card for 3 years. In order to get a card you must be referred by your Primary Care Pysician who originally make the diagnosis. Then you must schedule an appointment with a physician who is licensed to treat you using MMJ. You must bring supporting medical records to go along with the referral. The MMJ physician has training in MMJ and provides guidance on dosage and usage based (unfortunately) on mostly anecdotal “research” because there hasn’t been much research to date. This process must be repeated each year to maintain a card. And while the dispensaries are not as plentiful as those distributing OxyContin, there are quite few around.

I think the prescribed medical use of Cannabis is in the legal netherworld at the moment. It is difficult to know how State Law will answer the OP. But given the fact that 30 States have legal MMJ, I’m thinking they might lean toward the patients.
In Florida, anyone can get a card. I've actually had friends who are doctors tell me they will give me one if I want one. I don't. But it is ridiculously easy to get. Like having your dog or peacock be designated a service animal.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
In Florida, anyone can get a card. I've actually had friends who are doctors tell me they will give me one if I want one. I don't. But it is ridiculously easy to get. Like having your dog or peacock be designated a service animal.
That doesn’t surprise me. I’m guessing since it is regulated by individual states, the way it is regulated reflects how each state thinks about the prescription process. In Massachusetts you must carry a photo ID issued by the State Licensing Bureau and takes a couple of months to go through the process. A standard for this medical practice would be nice.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

According to this article, “only nine states protect those who medicate with marijuana from getting fired for doing so. One of those states is Massachusetts.”
Old 09-23-2018, 08:51 PM

I've worked in nuclear power and propulsion all my adult life, starting with nuclear subs in the USN. Background checks and random urinalysis/breathalyzer has been part of my 30+ year career. I'm a shift manager at the only nuclear power plant in Washington state. Yes medical and recreational marijuana have been legal here for quite a few years. The NRC has no cares for state and local laws allowing certain substances. The Code of Federal Regulations is very clear. Is it coincidental that no other heavy industry can match our safety record? There are other careers available for those who choose to partake of legal or illegal substances.

As far as the NRC and my company are concerned, showing up for work with alcohol in your system is just as much reason for dismissal as having marijuana or any illegal drug in your system.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
You wouldn't want someone eating all the donuts in the break room.

okay, now that is funny!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic