The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2018, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I do not have many blood relatives left and no children of my own so guitar playing friends are in line to get my guitars. I do plan on leaving one of my Wingerts to Kathy's daughter, Jimmi. It will be nice for her family to have some great examples of Kathy's work to pass down to future generations. Another one of my guitars will probably go to Guitars4Vets.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-24-2018, 04:00 PM

Since my plan is to retire from what I currently do and then teach and play music to Spanish kids (I am retiring to the south coast of Spain). I will likely end up giving away my stuff before I shuffle off this mortal coil.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
No one. They are all going with me. In a properly humidified burial chamber, of course
Hahahaahahahha...
Old 09-24-2018, 06:30 PM

No kids, no family that plays. On the other hand, I don't own anything worth much so maybe Goodwill?
Old 09-24-2018, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

My daughter now 38 and my sons 33 and 23.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 09-24-2018, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
My best guitars are in my will.
Each will go to a specific named person who has gone gaga over that guitar.
Same here. I like the way you put that. It describes it well. They will have good homes.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:15 PM

I'm thinking the grand kid types.

I use them as an excuse to buy two guitars, every time one gets born. (One 'specially' good, & one 'campfire' good.)

Once I'm dead, it'll probably be easier to square up.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 09-27-2018, 03:59 PM

Probably my wife, if she lasts longer than me. If not, my two kids. What they do with them after that I don't care.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:22 PM

My son, who plays a little, to do with as he wishes. A nice windfall if he chooses to sell any or all of them.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

I have oft pondered this.
In 2006 when I was extremely close to heart failure, I thought that I should make preparations in the way that my best friend who died in 2004 didn't.

I started maintaining a list of my wooden investments and likely values. I tried to give it to my wife but she didn't want to think about it.

My wife is eleven months older than I but has better genes that I, so I expect that she will outlive me. No-one in my extended family is musical.

I have worked hard to make sure that when I go, my wife will be "comfortable." I would hate for my wood and wire investments to be sold too cheaply.

When they told me I had cancer last year this became urgent.
I had a chat with my delightful daughter-in-law who is disabled but very financially savvy and runs her own online business. She has agreed that when the time comes, that she will take the responsibility to drip dispose my instruments for my wife.

Over the last year I have been compiling a file on a small hard drive with photos, descriptions, videos, and realistic value details for her to put them on ebay, or whatever.
I believe, my D-I-L has true integrity, and will do the right thing for us.

I'm also sure that my wife, whose property they will be, will reward my D-I-L (and my stepson) as she sees fit. I have no issues with that.

I suggest that if you have loved ones who might lose due to lack of value/selling information, to consider something similar.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:07 PM

Interesting thread! To be honest, haven't thought about it. My wife doesn't play. My daughter has a guitar that I bought for her when she was in 7th grade but she only used it a few times and never really learned to play beyond a few chords. I have 2 vintage guitars that are worth some serious money and a recently purchased Froggy, so my hope would be that they'd be sold for a decent amount if my daughter doesn't want any of them. Then, too, with the possibility of some day downsizing to a much smaller place (let alone assisted living, etc.) not sure that all the musical instruments can stay - would probably need to sell some of that while I'm still here. Or, God forbid, some sort of accident or infirmity could occur that would render me no longer able to play (won't even talk about alzheimer's or similar that would essentially create the same scenario), and so that way the instruments could become useless to me. So...lots of variables could enter into it.

OR...I could have quoted Riker at the end of the movie, Star Trek 'Generations'...."speak for yourself sir, I plan to live forever"....
Old 09-28-2018, 05:59 AM

My father-in-law is very much alive but joint problems have kept him from playing for several years. He has passed his old D-28 along to my son already, and they’ve both gotten pleasure from the gift, and the fact that the guitar is staying and playing in the family. Lucky kid — only 16 year-old in his class with a 1954 D-28.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:05 AM

Actually, I may give my grandson my D18, which he dearly loves, to him before I die so I can enjoy watching him enjoy it. He already has my Custom Strat.
Hey, as I said times before, "they're just guitars."

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-28-2018, 11:48 AM

I will inherit my Dad's Martins and Taylor's and his mandolin, but I hope he get's to enjoy them for many more years. It pains me to think about it, and we enjoy getting together to pick and BS about guitars and go to local shop and mess around. I taught my dad to play and fueled his passion for guitars. My guitars will go to my kids and grand kids and some I will advise my wife to sell off. My Dad's guitars will definitely stay in the family.

Corey
2015 Taylor 214
2010 Martin D18 Standard
2017 Taylor 410 Rosewood
2017 Taylor Mini GS -E Walnut
Martin D12X1AE 12 String
Bugera AC60 Amp
Acoustic A20 Amp
Old 09-28-2018, 01:42 PM

I guess it depends on when I die.
Baby Taylor (spruce)
La Patrie Concert (cedar/mahogany)
Assorted Strats and Teles

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion