The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 05:54 PM

Wow, so many of us already have similar experiences.
I am no different in that I had started to learn a very long time ago at 20 (now 59) when my sister had been playing awhile and I made a new friend that played. So I borrowed my sis’s cheap Fender 3/4 acoustic and started to learn chords.
Decided to buy my own guitar having started my first good paying job, yup the Gibson Hummingbird. Learned to play some rhythm chords and a couple of songs that my buddy would practise lead to. Unfortunately we drifted apart soon after and life went on but the guitar sat in the case.
Over the years I would pull it out and try to remember how to play the songs I had learned but never really did get far. By the time I got some callus, I stopped again for no good reason or other. That continued until 4 years ago I happened to find another buddy from my shooting club was in the same boat and wanted to take it up again.
We started jamming every Thursday evening possible along with a core of three others and since then I have learned far more in the past 4 years that all the other years combined. I never ever thought I would sing in public never mind at at all as I just have such a terrible sounding uncontrollable voice yet 2 years ago I did 3 open mikes ��
Bought another acoustic, 3 electrics, 2 electric guitar amps and a Fishman acoustic amp.
Gassing for more !

Tim
20 Epiphone EJ-200SE-12-VS
20 PRS P20E
16 Breedlove D25/SRH Pro Series
17 Guild D-140
? Cort Luce L300V-F SB
17 Gibson SG Standard T
14 Ibanez AM93-TKS
04 Fender Stratocaster
21 Epiphone IBG ES335 Figured.
23 PRS SE McCarty 594
89 Marc Beneteau Dreadnaught
Old 09-20-2018, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Not at all surprised to see lots of folks who've started off playing when they were younger, put the guitar down for decades as life got complicated, and then picked it back up at a later stage of life. That's certainly my story, too.

I think the approach you take to re-learning should depend on what you want to do. Are you primarily a singer who wants to be able to accompany yourself and maybe some friends? Are you a soloist? Do you just want to play at home for personal enjoyment? Would you like to play at local sessions? Do you plan to do some paid gigs?

All those choices and more, not to mention the styles of music you like, will influence your choices and decisions.

The two things that kill progress are not having fun and not improving. The trick is finding how to improve without making it such a chore that it saps all the enjoyment out of playing and learning. Playing with other people with similar interests is certainly a great way to progress enjoyably. But, as with any skill, you do need to develop some basic skills before you can branch out. It's like having to memorize multiplication tables before you can do more advanced math or learning the alphabet before you can read. But as a returning player, you've probably gotten at least the most basic fundamentals under your belt.

Some people do best with structure and formality and others with a less formal approach. Determine where you fall along this spectrum. And you may move along the spectrum at various times. But a mismatch between your personal style and the approach you take can result in discontent and, ultimately, failure.

For me, getting comfortable moving simple, partial chords around the neck was a big step forward. Right off the bat, it allowed me to figure out a "B part" for every simple, first-position tune I already knew. The CAGED system approaches this more formally but you can do it sort of by the seat of your pants by just taking simple chords that fret at least 3 or 4 treble strings, like F, D, D7, and the so-called long A, and moving them up and down the neck. Next, you can play partial barres to grab any strings that are played open in first position, like moving the Am shape up and barring the high E string behind it. At that stage, you have several flavors of chords (major, minor, seventh) that you can play at different neck locations and thus at different pitches for different keys. Throw them into songs you already know for variation. For me, this got me exploring purely out of curiosity and really opened up new avenues. I think it's getting to that curiosity stage, in whatever form it takes for you as an individual, that really boosts progress in a fun way.

But you need to find your own path. Just know that you will sound terrible at times, get discouraged at times, not be able to make your fingers do what you want them to at times, and feel like you just don't have what it takes to become a decent player. That's all normal and everybody goes through it at various points. Persist, keep it fun, and your skills will improve.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:54 AM

I started as a folkie in the 1960s and then gravitated to a journeyman rock-blues out fit. In the early 1970s I was making a living (if you can call it that) laying in the electric band, an acoustic band and running the folk music department at a local Artsy Fartsy center. In the early 1980s I had had enough. I think it all pretty much had stopped being fun when it became a business so I walked away. I did not pick up a guitar for probably 12 years. Then while living in Mississippi I got coaxed into joining a string band. Pretty fly by night affair - one of those never played for real money just free food or at small outdoor festival things. Basically though it fit in with where I was.

After that long lay off, I really struggled at first. What I finally figured out was I was thinking about it all too much. Once I shut my brain off I found my hands seemed to remember what to do. While the rust was still evident I just fell right back into the way I had first taught myself relying primarily on my right hand thumb and middle finger.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:38 AM

Default Me Too

Hello,

I started at 60. I did have a few failed attempts when I was younger, but I was too busy playing sports and chasing young women to pay attention to music.

I was having a conversation with my wife about regrets at 60. I mentioned not learning to play an instrument (guitar) as possibly my only regret.

My wife said get your shoes we're going to the local GC. What the heck, why not. I spent about $250 on all the necessary starter items and started learning guitar with the help of Justin S.

Three years into learning and I've bought and sold a few gits. I think I'm done with that. I mostly play my 314ce. Mostly I strum, play a few riffs and sing. Basically I sound pretty good if everyone has had a couple of drinks (including myself). Mostly I play on the back porch, in the basement studio or in camp fire situations.

I've been happy with my progress. It's been fun and I'm sure my brain has benefited from the increased work load. I'm thinking I'll be pretty decent after 4 years and may check out an open mike by that time.

I'm also hoping after 4 years I'll be better at bar chords. I'm still a bit slow on all but E shaped bar chords.

I'm glad to see there are a bunch of almost retired or retired folks taking up guitar.

Mike
Ibanez Talman
Old 09-21-2018, 03:40 PM

I had accordion lessons at age 7 and Hawaiian steel guitar lessons at age 11. By 15 years old I gave it all up for girls and cars. At age 56 I bought an inexpensive guitar and chord book and started DIY learning acoustic 6 string. The early years music fundamentals helped a lot. Ten years later, at 66, I was attending a local jam session where some of the players wanted to start a cover band, but everybody was going to have to take a turn singing. With a lot of encouragement I finally sang an old country tune I remembered from listing to the radio as a child.

Now, at 78, I'm the lead singer and rhythm guitarist in a local band playing festivals, fund raisers, house concerts, rest homes, etc. We play 2 or 3 times a week. Who would have thought! Wish I would have started when I was younger!

Paul
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 09-21-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
I “started” to learn to play the guitar 4-5 times earlier in my life, but never found the discipline to practice & get past the sore fingers and 3-chord stage. Well, life has progressed and I find myself hitting the 60-year mark, and with a fresh motivation & desire to play...and learn to play well, or at least well enough not to embarrass myself.

Any other late-adopters here who have started...or started again like I have, at 60-years old or older? What is your story as to why you waited? How easy is it for you now?
I am now 64 and am enjoying playing guitar more than ever before mainly due to all the information and resources now available online.

Keep it fun and learn some songs that you like as soon as possible.

See my post about the 60 plus and playing guitar.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=517484

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:57 PM

I started guitar probably around 12 years old. I'll be 64 next month.

I never really stopped playing completely, however I would put the guitar on the back burner, on a very low simmer, for long periods of time.

I performed for years on keyboards (on which I had much more formal training), but always had an electric on stage to play when a song called for it. Never a lead guitarist, though. I also played bass for several bands over the years.

But for me, it always came back to guitar.

I stopped performing when my kiddies were little, mostly because I was just tired of the band drama. Who needs it? Right?

My business hours and a performing schedule are not compatible, so I've been spending the last several years working up to my hopes of getting back into performing when I retire late next year. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:41 PM

I started playing at age 14--took lessons for about 8 months and quit because I didn't think I was making any progress. In looking back I think my teacher and I just didn't communicate.

39 years later I started again. First with watching some Marty and Justin videos on YouTube and then with a local teacher who understood my desires (and, at 53, I was better able to communicate those desires).

Now, a year and a half into it, I still consider myself a beginner, but I'm far better than I was at 14 and I have a great time playing. Right now I play just for myself, but I can see myself getting together with some other folks for casual jams in another year or so. We'll see where it goes.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:55 AM

I had several false starts at the guitar early in life but it never took...
Garth Brooks came around in the early 90's and started me wanting to sing..
But I knew I wasn't good enough a singer to only sing so I took up guitar also and found an instructor that was also a local musician
Within 6 months I was on stage with him and his band singing and roughing out cowboy chords.
I also started booking the band...
played in a rock band after that and a couple years of gospel
I don't play out anymore but I do dream of solo/busking sometimes...maybe one day.
So I officially started at 36 years old...that was 25 years ago

Life is Good...
Old 09-24-2018, 08:03 AM

I've been playing off an on since I was around 16. I'm not 57 and am okay. In fact, I have a t-shirt that reads: World's okayest guitar player

If I didn't find that Guild F50 for $125 at a yard sale, who knows if I'd still be playing. What a great hobby though!!

I really enjoy "Shut up and Play" online tutorials, as his playing and take on the songs I want to learn is top-notch.

I don't practice, but play what I want to hear. Lots of "noodling."

Enjoy your journey!
scott
Old 09-24-2018, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I started over in my 50's and feel like I am still starting over. I played the same 6 chords, the same basic pattern and the same basic strum for years and then decided to take some lessons. After spending time improving my vocal technique and my songwriting skills, I am now re-dedicating time on the guitar. My chord vocabulary has expanded as has my understanding of music theory. I have really gone back to the basics in terms of learning rhythm and better right and left hand techniques. I am improving at a much greater rate though I still work full time and do not practice as much as I would like.

I am so glad that I gave myself the gift of starting over. I hope that your journey is as fulfilling as mine has been. I find that having the right teacher and a group of folks to play and share songs with has been very supportive and adds to the enjoyment.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-24-2018, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

What an enjoyable thread. I played extensively in an acoustic duo into my early 30s then stopped playing much at all for several decades. Coming back to playing quite tentatively I had the great fortune to be asked to function as a side man for several worship teams. I realized then that I'd been a vocalist who happened to play guitar. After several years of work as an instrumentalist I've developed into a guitar player who sings. Though I'm more sought after as a bass player for worship teams now as everyone plays guitar...or at least thinks they can! Enjoy the ride-this is a great time to be learning and shopping for guitars. As I've said to many fellow players 'how did we learn to play before YouTube?'
Old 09-24-2018, 10:23 AM

I played in bands from the time that I was a teenager until my late thirties. Then I pretty much stopped for about 25 years. I went for months without picking up a guitar and if I did, I strummed a few chords, noted how sore my fingers were, and put it back in a corner and forgot about it.
It wasn't until one day I noticed this guy by the name of Tommy Emmanuel on YouTube, playing "Somewhere Over Rainbow", did I feel any desire to return to playing. But..not with a flat pick that I had always used. I noticed that most of the time Tommy played with his fingers and a thumb pick. That's what I wanted to do!
I will be 70 next year and am learning stuff that Tommy teaches and plays on YouTube tutorials like "thumb independence" has been a challenge. At times a frustration, but so fulfilling and satisfying.
Every day I play each of my four guitars, (a Seagull S6, a Ibanez Concord, a MIM Tele', and my ES-335 that I used in days of yore). I try to give each one of "my girls" equal time. I mostly work on Chet Atkins, Merle Travis, and the one that gives me the most headaches, Jerry Reed. Probably my time spent with a guitar in my fingers would amount to 2 or 3 hours.
Hard work? Sometimes. But a labor of love. Enjoy your guitars people. Oh..and thank you, Tommy. :-)

Last edited by murman; 09-24-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

I feel like I'm at an AA meeting. My name is Steve, I'm 63, and I've been playing (I'm dedicated now) for 3 years.

I played as a teen although my interest in jazz outweighed my ability make time (kids and work) and to get serious with the guitar. I took lessons in my teen years - and actually again in my 30's - with a jazz guitarist on Long Island by the name of Billy Bauer. Billy is long gone but I will never forget his smile when he had the guitar in his hands. A wonderful jazz musician from the same era as Bucky Pizzarelli, Herb Ellis, etc. I had no time to devote to serious study of jazz so I was stuck for many years.

I retired a few years ago and I have nothing but time. Retirement was not my choice but so it goes. If I didn't have the guitar I'd go nuts. I've been taking skype lessons from Mark Hanson for the past couple of years and he has taught me well. I'm concentrating on Travis picking, fingerstyle Beatles, Blues, Simon And Garfunkel tunes and I have maybe 15 or 20 that I can play reasonably well and completely enjoy the time I dedicate to my instrument. Learning more all the time. I understand and accept that I reach plateau's sometimes and keep at it until the next plateau. If I'm "off" today I might be "on" tomorrow. But the bottom line is it's amazing to be able to play. There are moments of WOW and enjoyment that help to complete my life.

So yes, there is hope after 60 :-)

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Martin 2008 000-18 Golden Era
Old 09-24-2018, 12:32 PM

Was a "self-taught", pretty limited guitarist in my late teens and early 20's. Played less and less as time went on (the same 12-16 songs, all played with gusto, but limited skill), and around the age of 45, stopped playing almost completely.

Was vaguely thinking of taking it up again as I headed towards retirement, and one day, came across a (very talented and heartfull) fellow who was fingerpicking blues songs at a local Farmer's Market. Started fingerpicking lessons with him a few weeks later, and have just kept moving forward musically for the past 7 years (continued with weekly fingerpicking lessons for 5 of those years), playing everyday, working on building some skills and slowly learning a bit of music theory.

Played at an Open Mic last week with a couple of friends, and had a great time! (And, we were well-received! ).

The guitar is a source of much joy and satisfaction, especially in the last year or so (related to finding some other folks to play with, and reaching a threshold where I can do at least a few of the things that I have always wanted to do, like singing harmony, jamming without hitting too many clunkers; attending some workshops and a couple of festivals).

Happy to read about what others are bringing in to their lives as they devote time and energ to music. And happy to bringing music into my home by making it myself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion