The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-10-2018, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Do you have such a thing in the USA?

The GoodWood Revival meeting has become an international institution in the last ten years, (20?) with a three day event of classic and vintage cars and motorbikes racing around the old WW2 airfield perimeter track with all the buildings recreated as they were after the war.

The 100,000 visitors often dress up in period clothing and all os fun , expensive, but fun.
Many of the exciting races can be seen on YouTube, but I thought you might enjoy the "Strettintong Ciup - a pedal car race foe chidren.

A place in the race can only be obtained by bribery - i.e. a donation to a charity, and ll is in the spirit of fun, and inclusivity for the kiddies, and in replicas of a British made car of the post war period. - the Austin A40.

Here's this year's race :

Old 09-10-2018, 05:08 AM

Probably not. Commemorating the end of WWII is more of a European thing. Likewise, I doubt anyone in Europe commemorates the arrival of settlers at Plymouth Rock or the U.S. Revolutionary war.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:08 AM

This is an interesting event but not the same

https://www.theraceofgentlemen.com/
Old 09-10-2018, 07:15 AM

You need a ringer in there.....

Last edited by H165; 09-10-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:33 AM

I got all wrapped up in watching Tom Christensen come from the back of the grid to win in a V8 Ford Fairlane (I think my grandmother owned one of those) in race 1. But I never saw race 2 posted the next day.

The Alfa was a my favorite car in that race. The guy was really hammering it hard.

More impressive was the guy in the Lotus in different race, who won after starting from pit lane, Paul Keen I think was his name.

Didnt get a chance to see the race with the LeMans cars like the Ford GT, Ferrari GTO's, Porsche 908's etc.

I did enjoy the interview with the pig farmer and his wife.

Next time I sell a POS guitar, I am going to put a potato in the case.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:38 AM

To answer your question, I think the closest we get to something like this is Speed Week in Daytona.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:09 AM

There is a big vintage race event at Sonoma in northern California. Commonly, at the Indianapolis 500, they will do exhibition laps using cars from the track's museum. They keep all cars in the museum in running condition so you can see a Marmon Wasp or a Novi take a lap or two.

The SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) has a Vintage division and they run events at lots of tracks around the country.

Last edited by HHP; 09-10-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
...I think the closest we get to something like this is Speed Week in Daytona.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
There is a big vintage race event at Sonoma in northern California. Commonly, at the Indianapolis 500, they will do exhibition laps using cars from the track's museum...The SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) has a Vintage division and they run events at lots of tracks around the country.
The National Hot Rod Association has had an official championship series for vintage/vintage-style drag race machinery in place for many years:

http://www.nhrahotrodheritage.com/

Largely confined to points west of the Mississippi, it has its own class structure and points series independent of the better-known Mello Yello National Events for modern vehicles; unfortunately, due to the "on-the-edge" nature of pre-SFI/SEMA-spec early drag cars authentic vehicle participation is extremely limited, generally confined to the event-within-an-event "Cacklefest" (where all the nitro-burners are push-started and left to idle simultaneously along the entire length of the track), at-idle drive-bys, or single-car half-track exhibition runs. As a result most hard-core racers construct replica vehicles that run similar times/speeds as the originals, but meet current sanction/insurance requirements; FWIW some of these cars are so well-done that even many knowledgeable long-time fans are hard-pressed to tell the difference - and when two slingshot AA/Fuelers are filling the air with the smell of nitro and rubber, lighting up the night with six-foot header flames, and clocking deep double-century speeds, it doesn't matter much whether they were built last week or in 1966...
Old 09-10-2018, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Probably not. Commemorating the end of WWII is more of a European thing. Likewise, I doubt anyone in Europe commemorates the arrival of settlers at Plymouth Rock or the U.S. Revolutionary war.
Hi Steve, I'm sorry that you missed my point.

The Goodwood Revival isn't about WW2 although I neglected to say that there is an aviation display as well.
The Goodwood airfield in on the estate of our local Lord - the Earl of March, and whilst it was built during WW2 - and it is impossible for us in the UK to forget the Battle of Britain which was fought in the skies over our country in 39/40, the event celebrates the post war motor racing that occurred there from shortly after the end of the war until the '60s when it was considered too small for F1 races ...it is where Stirling Moss had his near fatal accident.

May of the cars and bikes were actually pre-war but the point of this thread was to show you the kiddies having a pedal car race.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:18 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Down the road we have an airport/museum that commemorates WWII and WWI by restoring and flying examples of the aircraft from the conflict.. They've got a Spit MkIX, a Hurricane MkII, a Mosquito, a P51, a P40, a Wildcat, a Corsair, a BF109G, the FW190s, a B-25, a PBY Catalina, a Junkers JU52, a TBM Avenger, DeHaviland Tiger Moth and Chipmunk trainers, a Stearman Kaydet, an SNJ (Texan), a 1920s Bucker Jungmeister trainer, several WWII Russian types, nearly all of these flying, a working V1 Buzz Bomb, a German 88 Fklak cannon and searchlight, etc.

And how about a 1950 Jag?

They have an American control tower that was taken apart in England and lovingly rebuilt here. They've got a hangar from Cottbus Airfield in Germany where German fighter piiots were trained.

And yes, they hold classic car meets, though they have no races because it is a proper WWII-like grass strip. They host "Flying Proms," flying shows with the regional symphony and fireworks. They commemorate the various large battles with re-enactors and historical programs and airshows.

So, there are similar places, collections, and commemorations in the U.S.A.

The Museum can be virtually visited, HERE.

I visited a couple of times and shot pics that can be found HERE and HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-10-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
WW II, not so much. Certain parts of the US are big on the CivilWar though.

Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 09-10-2018, 06:49 PM

The kids racing were a hoot, but the announcers were just brilliant...
A fist full of picks
Two capos
And an amp I'm fairly impressed with.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:11 PM

I've been to 2 Australian F1 Grand Prix.
One in Adelaide and one in Melbourne.
These are 4 day events with many support races in between F1 practice such as;
- Historic racing.
- Parade laps... ( I saw Fangio drive a Mercedes and Jack Brabham in a Cooper at Adelaide )
- Demonstrations... ( Wayne Gardner was a blur!)
- Celebrity races... ( who remembers Mark Knopfler breaking his arm?)
- Go Karts... ( undriveable with slicks in the wet!)
- Fly overs... ( F-111 and Hornets )
- Speed challenges.
- Moto GP bikes.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 09-10-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:17 PM

The closest we get is the August Pebble Beach Concours and the related events during the week, particularly the racing at Laguna Seca. The other event would be the Cavallino Classic. Neither, however has the dress code of Goodwood.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:44 PM

Antique/vintage car rallies seem kind of a British thing.

There's an annual London to Brighton "Run"

https://www.veterancarrun.com/

which inspired a movie

https://www.amazon.com/Genevieve-Var...70_&dpSrc=srch

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic