The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2018, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I'll just speak for myself.

Many times, I would ask for a higher value for a trade because I would probably prefer an outright sale for cash. I might not get the trade value I initially request...we all know how negotiations involve back and forth, give and take. But it is a starting point. I wouldn't consider it "inflation" of value, any more than I would consider taking a lower price from someone local to be an act of devaluing: not having to take time to pack up a guitar and take it someplace to be shipped is worth something to me.
Thanks - this makes sense.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 09-24-2018, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Between individuals? I don't understand why. Explain if you can.
Lets imagine a guitar is for sale at $3000 (or GB pounds). The seller intends to use the cash to pay off a credit card debt that is accumulating interest. Along comes buyer 1 who offers $2750, then buyer 2 who offers $1500 plus a guitar that ebay completed listings suggests might be worth $1500. Which deal would you do? I'd take the $2750 because there is certainty. I'd have to find a buyer for the other guitar, have no idea when or if it will sell, and I'd be paying interest on the remaining credit cared debt.

Or, I may have my eye on another guitar so I'll take the cash toward that one.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion