The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-28-2023, 10:45 AM

Default Is this a crazy idea?

I have a 70-80 year old mahogany buffet table that belonged to my Grandparents. The outer surface and legs of the table are in rough shape, and it doesn’t really have a good fit in my house. But, I had this wild hair idea that given it’s age (likely old growth mahogany) I might be able to find someone to cut it down and use the larger pieces to build a custom guitar with mahogany back/sides. (Doubtful there’s wood large enough for a neck). Is there any way to determine the (sound/voicing) quality of the wood without tearing the furniture apart?……Is this just a crazy idea, or am I on to something? The guitar would make for a hell of a story.
Old 10-28-2023, 10:59 AM

Hopefully one of the resident luthiers can chime in- but while we wait I’ll give you a free bump to the top of the forum.

Your answer may hinge on whether that wood is flat sawn or quarter sawn.

This does remind me of a video from Driftwood guitars where they drove cross country to buy a bedroom set from a lady that was Brazilian rosewood. Most of it I would think would end up as bridges or fingerboards but they were quite excited about the score.
Kopp K-35 (in the queue)
Old 10-28-2023, 11:04 AM

This isn't crazy. Just this past week I resawed Cuban mahogany planks from a 19th century table I purchased and disassembled into guitar sets. It is very possible.

There are reasons to pause, though-
Is the wood cut well? meaning is it reasonably quartersawn, and without a ton of runout? Will you be able to work around fasteners, joints, and seams to get useable material? Is the material riddled with small cracks? Do you have the machinery to be able to affordably mill it into guitar sets? And lastly- is it in fact solid wood? Lots of tables (and other things) are sneakily veneered. I dealt with all this stuff with this (and other) tables. Sometimes it works out and other times not.

There's also the issue of taking apart someone else's work. I'm not sure how to think about this. I have a solid Brazilian rosewood table I purchased for the wood but later came to understand it was made by a beloved maker in a specific community. I've gotten mild pressure not to cut it up and it does give me pause. If this was your grandparent's table I think you are very free to make that choice- but it is something to consider.
Old 10-28-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
This isn't crazy. Just this past week I resawed Cuban mahogany planks from a 19th century table I purchased and disassembled into guitar sets. It is very possible.

There are reasons to pause, though-
Is the wood cut well? meaning is it reasonably quartersawn, and without a ton of runout? Will you be able to work around fasteners, joints, and seams to get useable material? Is the material riddled with small cracks? Do you have the machinery to be able to affordably mill it into guitar sets? And lastly- is it in fact solid wood? Lots of tables (and other things) are sneakily veneered. I dealt with all this stuff with this (and other) tables. Sometimes it works out and other times not.

There's also the issue of taking apart someone else's work. I'm not sure how to think about this. I have a solid Brazilian rosewood table I purchased for the wood but later came to understand it was made by a beloved maker in a specific community. I've gotten mild pressure not to cut it up and it does give me pause. If this was your grandparent's table I think you are very free to make that choice- but it is something to consider.
There is a lot that I don’t know about the wood, but I’ll start off with what I do believe: The wood is solid, with no veneers. It appears to be very well constructed, (with dovetail joints on the drawers). The top alone is all mahogany, and measures 66” (length) x 19 1/2” (width) x 3/4” (thick). There are no cracks, seams, fasteners, or joints on the table top….It’s one long continuous slab. The front and sides also appear to be mahogany. There appears to be some other wood types used inside and backside of the drawers, but it’s not a veneer. There are two relatively small elliptical shape wood veneers on the two front panels of the table, but it is purely decorative. (Behind the small veneer is solid mahogany.)

I don’t know how to determine how the wood was cut, nor do I know the inherent quality of the wood.

I wish I could post pics of the table, but I don’t have a picture hosting service that I can use to upload pics.
Old 10-28-2023, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichinGA View Post
I wish I could post pics of the table, but I don’t have a picture hosting service that I can use to upload pics.
The easiest way to post pics is to use the TapaTalk app from your phone (or tablet if that's where the pictures are)... you can do it right from the app without having to use a 3rd part hosting site.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 10-28-2023, 12:40 PM

Here are some pics of the furniture. Hope it helps give an idea of the quality/type of wood.

Old 10-28-2023, 01:03 PM

Without an “in-hand” inspection, it’s hard to tell whether or not that is solid wood. My guess is it’s veneered, but by removing a short section of the edge band on the top, you’ll be able to tell. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Last edited by Jimmy Caldwell; 10-28-2023 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:13 PM

Srick did a project with a similar story. If I recall correctly, it was Mahogany from a table as well. Maybe he will chime in on his experience.
Old 10-28-2023, 04:16 PM

I agree with Jimmy, that looks like veneer. Peek under inside the cabinet- does the grain match the grain on top? A peek under the edge banding would be even better.

There's likely also fasteners on the underside that could make it hard to get clean side length pieces. But also maybe not? You never really know until you get it apart.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:04 PM

The top is most likely veneer but it's hard sometimes to tell even in person when the edges are that dark. You might take a small swipe with a handplane off the back - the wall side - of the top to check.

Good luck.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:31 PM

I was able to get a picture inside the right drawer of the cabinet. The front and back of the drawer looks to be one solid piece of mahogany, but the back of the cabinet does not appear to have a mahogany grain (which isn’t surprising). At the very top of the picture you can barely make out the underside of the cabinet top-piece. Not sure why it’s not stained, but it doesn’t look like mahogany. I’ll inspect it in closer detail.
Old 10-28-2023, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
I agree with Jimmy, that looks like veneer. Peek under inside the cabinet- does the grain match the grain on top? A peek under the edge banding would be even better.

There's likely also fasteners on the underside that could make it hard to get clean side length pieces. But also maybe not? You never really know until you get it apart.
I concur. The grooved top piece is often done to hide veneer lines.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-29-2023, 09:15 AM

Default Is this a crazy idea?

The edge band along the top piece of the table appears to be a one piece part of the top, and not a separate strip. Below is a picture showing the edge along the top piece. Also is a picture of the underside of the top piece, which is unstained……The wood on the (outside) front of the top looks like mahogany, but inside (unstained) looks more like oak…….Also, I did find that the furniture was made by “Limberts” and was likely made between 1915-1925.

Last edited by RichinGA; 10-29-2023 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-29-2023, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

I don't think it's a crazy idea, and it may very well be doable; but I'd sell it intact and use the money toward a new guitar. Cutting this piece of furniture apart doesn't seem like the best way to honor your grandparents. It would be too many ifs in the equation for me...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-29-2023 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-29-2023, 09:57 AM

That looks like a thin piece of Mahogany veneered to a solid piece of Maple to me, but I could be wrong.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop