The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-16-2014, 11:03 AM

Default Greenfield update / video

Have had my Greenfield GF for a month now so thought I'd post a quick update...

After restringing with Elixirs (never understood why people love John Pearse strings - sorry!) and playing it daily it's opening up beautifully. When I first got it I was blown away by the 'piano like' tone and how balanced it sounds across the neck, not to mention the gorgeous overtones. However, it is now starting to develop some beautiful warmth and roundness, which I've noticed particularly when recording as it's become far easier to EQ.

I've also learned it LOVES open tunings, and resonates beautifully when playing multiple open strings tuned a fourth or fifth apart (e.g. DADGAD). This shouldn't really be a surprise: the reason I first explored Greenfield guitars was seeing Tony Mcmanus play his version of 'Sleeping Tune' on Youtube. Aside from Tony's stunning arrangement & execution, the sound of his G1 blew me away; I honestly didn't think an acoustic guitar could sound like that. Hearing a Greenfield resonate like that in person still makes me tingle in my funny places

Anyway, I posted a vid a while back when I first took delivery and now I've gotten a little more used to it I'm finding recording a little easier. That being said, I still have a lot to learn (and need to brush up on my playing!) but hopefully this shows how the guitar is opening up nicely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuyk-jZAh-c

Joel
Old 02-16-2014, 11:30 AM

Nicely played, Joel. That sounded great.

Congrats on your new Greenfield guitar!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Great playing! I also hear that piano-like presence ... what an amazing instrument!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:58 PM

Nice playing and the guitars tone is amazing. I'd do most anything for a GF. Congrats!!

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 02-16-2014, 06:38 PM

Nicely done... Your Greenfield sounds awesome
Old 02-16-2014, 07:32 PM

Nice! Thanks for sharing. The Greenfield trebles always strike me. Is that your own arrangement, or did you have a transcription of some kind? It sounds great.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:24 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Wow! Nice recording! Reinforces my urge to not play in public until I can get my chops up. Oh yeah, and the axe is ok too
Old 02-18-2014, 03:12 PM

The arrangement is by the supremely talented Tony Mcmanus. I'm merely a hack attempting to flatter by imitation
Old 02-18-2014, 03:46 PM

Beautiful sounding guitar and no reason what so ever to make excuses about or be critical of your playing. I wished I played half as well. Congrats !
Old 02-27-2014, 10:02 AM

Bud,

that is very nicely played. I'm currently working through The Sleeping Tune myself and think you do a stellar job.

With regards to the GF, nothing other than to say what an amazing guitar! As soon as I am able, I will most certainly be placing an order for a GF with Mike. Will probably have to do it sooner than later, though - the 2014 price is about$2k higher than last year.

I have no doubt that guitar is going to make you a better musician. Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop