The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-22-2011, 11:17 AM

Default Adventures In Music

Last Saturday, dawn broke clear and bright with the promise of a wonderful day for my friend’s wedding. I had been asked to sing and play The Wedding Song. I was honored and well prepared.

The meadow was lush and beautiful. The guest’s chairs had been placed under the cottonwood trees and a stool set for me under a pine adjacent to the altar. As I stepped out of the car, my nostrils detected the aroma of freshly cut grass . . . . and immediately started to burn and drip. My eyes reddened, puffed and began to itch. Then my throat started closing up. Drat, I thought hay fever season had ended. Fortunately, I had almost an hour until the ceremony. I reached into my pocket for my little pill box and dug out a generic allergy tablet. The bride and groom had thoughtfully set out copious bottles of water and I kept myself well hydrated.

As the bride started processing down the grassy isle, I began fingerpicking the intro. The bride was beautiful; the allergy pill worked; all went well and my friend, the groom, was gracious and grateful.

The moral of the story is kind of like the Boy Scout motto. When going out on a gig arrive early and always be prepared.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Paulin,

Congrats on your success.

I think if any situation might make me nervous, it would be a wedding, where you are connected emotionally to the people getting married, and when you know how much excellent execution will mean to both of them.

A job well done!

Stuart

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write