The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-19-2024, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Default Component Acoustic Amp

Anyone decided to go this direction...

Good pre-amp like Grace Felix into a good powered speaker or two. Outboard Reverb in the loop

I wonder if this approach may yield overall better sonics compared to a dedicated acoustic amp like a Loudbox or Schertler etc...

Thoughts on this approach?
Old 03-19-2024, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtacoustic View Post
Anyone decided to go this direction...

Good pre-amp like Grace Felix into a good powered speaker or two. Outboard Reverb in the loop

I wonder if this approach may yield overall better sonics compared to a dedicated acoustic amp like a Loudbox or Schertler etc...

Thoughts on this approach?
No solid suggestions on this, but the concept would be good as long as the size and need for multiple components wasn't an issue.

My M.O. for amplified acoustic guitar has changed over the years, so the quest has been more in line with finding an amp that sounds good, has true stereo reverb / chorus, is lightweight and easy to carry, works well as a personal PA, is loud enough for medium sized gigs, and has a vocal channel as well.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:39 AM

I prefer that kind of component setup. Whether it "sounds better" is subjective. I chose that route because I wanted more flexibility than a single amp would provide.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:51 PM

I chose a component system years ago. It now contains the following:

- Daedalus w803 speakers (pair)
- Parasound 2125 new classic version 2
- Pendulum sps-1 acoustic preamp
- Lexicon effects processor
- K&K pwm pickup
- DPA 4099 guitar mount mic

I like having the flexibility of a component system. This particular system yields some of the finest results.

I started building this back in 2003-4. I also picked up a pair of Daedalus sr823 speakers. In those days I didn’t mind hefting them around.

Rick
Old 03-20-2024, 01:51 AM

I think you may just have invented the pedal board.

My interests cross over between solo/band performing and audio-teching and I’ve carted round 19” racks of various heights for years*. It’s sometimes ideal and other times complete overkill. If you find a particular unit that contributes significantly to your sound then a 2 or 3 unit box can be manageable but not very versatile (if that’s a priority) for the space used.

*Digital desks made outboard units unnecessary for PA purposes so less appealing overall.

Last edited by shufflebeat; 03-20-2024 at 02:01 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification